Finding a Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, getting a little off topic, but I'll take a chance and ask, just what is funny/derogatory about "Viking Long Boat Rower"? That used to be one of my favorite shows, "The Vikings". Anybody remember it? I think Vic Morrow was the lead?

Originally posted by SpyderTek
Thanks ND!

Just glad it didnt mean you were calling each other Vicking Long Boat Rowers! Now that would have just been intollerable! LOL

ST

Since the first I saw it was from a poster in Sweden I assumed it was bascially a derogatory slang term...

No Spyder,

Stroke is not a derogatory Swedish term.... :wink:

It is a philosophy of diving that goes beyond mere equipment configuration....

While many folk key in on the gear the real essence is in the wholistic approach to personal preference...

(I like makin' up words too) :D

Hobbs and I are going to do a little S.W.B. stroke diving together...

We've been setting it up via private msg....

We will give a trip report to the board later, right Hobbs?

Originally posted by Greg G.
Ok, getting a little off topic, but I'll take a chance and ask, just what is funny/derogatory about "Viking Long Boat Rower"?

Hey I just got it!!!!!
Good one Spyder....
stroke=row :D
viking=norwegian :D
derogatory swedish term.... :D

Hey... wait a minute... my wife is a viking... er, I mean Norwegian!!! :upset:

:p

Originally posted by Greg G.
What do you consider the most difficult aspect of keeping a dive buddy???

Their other than diving life is way different

Thanks for identifying this real problem.... it would suggest that looking for a good buddy would also mean finding someone with the same amount of free time and flexibility might be an important consideration.

What do you consider the most difficult aspect of diving with a buddy???

As a photographer

A photographer is a dependant buddy and cannot be expected to be as watchful as someone whose attention is not focused on a task... This would suggest that photographers need to find buddies that understand this and are willing to work with it.

Photographers are a different breed. I love to shadow them and try to see the world through their eyes. It really helps me to see the ocean on a macro level, as opposed to trying to take it ALL in. When I buddy with one, I try to keep them in sight, and keep a watch out for them. It's more of a babysitting job in some respects, but if it helps them to capture a bit of the beauty that surrounds us down there, then so be it!!! I can think of worse ways to spend my time than simply blowing bubbles at 60 ft!

DOH!

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Hey I just got it!!!!!
Good one Spyder....
stroke=row :D
viking=norwegian :D
derogatory swedish term.... :D

Hey... wait a minute... my wife is a viking... er, I mean Norwegian!!! :upset:

:p

Originally posted by NetDoc
Photographers are a different breed. I love to shadow them and try to see the world through their eyes.

Talent....

I don't have the eye....
I bought a Motomarine and took a few pictures but....
Nah...I just don't have the photog's eye...

I agree with you Pete that buddying with a photographer once in awhile can really help you see what you are missing.

BTW... nice pictures on your web site Greg... you've got the eye...

Ok...Well, I suspect I am labeling myself as one by asking if I am guessing corectly....but what is "a Stroke"? and"Stroke Diving?"
Spyder

well basically you have had the explanation from others at the board, what I would like to point out is that what I know of pug is that he is a proud DIR diver, and also can take a joke :wink:
the DIR concept is very good both the mental part and the configuration part.
I however am a recreational diver and I dont dive the DIR rig/way
and I think that its ok to not dive DIR in non overhead (logic aswell as physical) / lowrisk diving.
Since Pug is a preacher for DIR I cant helpit but everytime I can, I take a stick and poke at him a bit :wink: just for the sake of it.
and honestly I think he likes it abit too :wink:

by the way DIR stands for Doing It Right
and stroke comes from the medical word stroke.
what the real origin for this to be called stroke maybe PUG can tell us, I have heard it but I just cant remember it now.
I think it was something about to dive with that jada jada you must have a stroke first.
However the word started to be used for everything that was supposedly dangerous and unsafe such as gear and diving style or how the diver thought and basically just everything that wasnt DIR was stroke.

and the problem is now that beeing DIR is a fashion statement also not just a filosofy anymore, wich means that if someone claims that he is diving DIR then i realy have second thoughts about diving with that person, since the requirement for diving DIR is very very high, both mentally and gearwise, and most ppl who are "diving DIR" just isnt diving DIR, they are tech wannabe and nothing is more dangerous than a person who thinks that he is so much better than he/she realy is. THAT is unsafe. they might have the gear but normally not the thought, you can spot them miles away by listening to howmanytimes they use the word stroke ! if everything is stroke and he tells it to the ppl around him wheather they have asked for his opinion or not, then there is a high risk of a tech wannabe.

so now I have a tech wannabe warning question for everyone,

WHY use a longhose on a sportdiver gear for openwater dives ?
WHAT is the purpose of the longhose in a openwater environment ? I just dont get it. but I do however see tech wannabes go and get their G/F a longhose for their standard openwater sportdiver jacket with one bottle.

please tell me what the advantage is with that. couse I can only see disadvantages with it. can anyone help me understand this.

What are some of the ways you have found dive buddies???
Dive store, dive clubs, charters (short term when I travel, longer for those friends have organized) -- but I found my special diving buddy here.

Have you had difficulty finding dive buddies???
Not yet. I'm always running into someone, who knows somesome who "needs to get wet"

What difficulties have you encountered with new dive buddies???
The only time I've had problems, is when I travel. I like finding out "what" the diver is all about before we dive. A few questions like 'So where have you being diving? How often to do you get to dive? Here are the signals I use, what are yours?' usually clear up most problems -- u/w may raise a few issues - like "disappearing buddy", if this happens, I ask the boat staff to find me a new one if it's a two tank dive.

Have you been able to establish a relationship with a main dive buddy???
Yes

What do you consider the most difficult aspect of keeping a dive buddy???
Work schedules (dang fool thing interfers, but it does provide the money)

What do you consider the most difficult aspect of diving with a buddy???
With buddies I know and trust, none, with "strangers" diving styles.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
What are some of the ways you have found dive buddies???
buddy???

well a fiend sent me here http://www.divernet.com/travel/supp02/buddy.htm
and well its worth a shot :wink:

talkabout knowing your buddy :wink:

and ofcourse pug we will tell the world of our nice SWB dive
it will be a blast, how about exercising some OOA incidents ??
or lost in a wreak ?

dive safe dive happy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom