Finger Spool or Reel for Deploying SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like these reels.

LG-reel-400.jpg
(Larry Green)

Most any spool will get the job done.

digiline.jpg

They look like top flight reels but probaly not for SMB usage...

I've shot many of markers with such a reel and I can assure you it works great at depth. As stated spools may be handier for shallower depths but most don't contain more than 150' of line. Reels tend to start in that neighborhood which for me tends to be easier to handle in currents or rough seas.

I've shot many of markers with such a reel and I can assure you it works great at depth. As stated spools may be handier for shallower depths but most don't contain more than 150' of line. Reels tend to start in that neighborhood which for me tends to be easier to handle in currents or rough seas.

The reason I stated that was the reels do not seem to have a substanial handle to grip although I am sure you have much greater skills than myself. I most definately agree that reels seem to be the better choice with the currents we have here locally. Seldom do you see experinced local divers using spools...

The reason I stated that was the reels do not seem to have a substanial handle to grip although I am sure you have much greater skills than myself. I most definately agree that reels seem to be the better choice with the currents we have here locally. Seldom do you see experinced local divers using spools...

Hmm. You're right, not a very good picture of the handle.. This one isn't much better.

735-559_th.jpg

Suffice it to say it compares to something like the Dive Rite Sidewinder. Your fingers are split by the axle with the handle on the back side of your hand. You can use you fingers to "clutch" the reel or you can "thumb" it. Very secure in the hand. I likeit much better than standard lantern handle reels.

I'm sure your skill set would allow you to deploy it as well as me or anyone else :wink:

Hmm. You're right, not a very good picture of the handle.. This one isn't much better.

735-559_th.jpg

Suffice it to say it compares to something like the Dive Rite Sidewinder. Your fingers are split by the axle with the handle on the back side of your hand. You can use you fingers to "clutch" the reel or you can "thumb" it. Very secure in the hand. I like it much better than standard lantern handle reels.

I'm sure your skill set would allow you to deploy it as well as me or anyone else :wink:

That actually looks like a very well engineered reel. If it bird nests I would only have myself to blame. How much & who distributes/sells? Thanks!

That actually looks like a very well engineered reel. If it bird nests I would only have myself to blame. How much & who distributes/sells? Thanks!

Here's the originator. http://www.tecdivers.com/

Picked mine up for $89 from Add Helium -->Larry Green Cave Reel

All lexan and SS construction. Beats the hell out of the delrin competition in my book. I got tired of broken reels and got one made out of bullet proof composite :D

Can't beat the price either compared to others.

Another vote fora finger spool and double ended bolt snap. I've used both and the reel turned out to be a real waste. Don't ever clip off a deployed SMB to you though. We had a nasty accident out here when a DM got reeled straight into a propeller. That string is stronger than you think.

Another vote fora finger spool and double ended bolt snap. I've used both and the reel turned out to be a real waste. Don't ever clip off a deployed SMB to you though. We had a nasty accident out here when a DM got reeled straight into a propeller. That string is stronger than you think.

Yikes! :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom