Finger Spool or Reel for Deploying SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've found a reel a little easier to use than a spool, but for price and size the spool makes more sense for this. (You're also less tempted to leave it on the boat where it won't do you much good.)

I use a small spool marker buoy. I deploy the marker while its clipped to one of my D-rings, the SMB is stored clipped to the marker line, inflate the SMB and let it go. Very little chance of loosing either even with 5mm gloves as everything is clipped and secured before its deployed. Works for me.

I'm not sure I would clip it a D-ring on the BC...what happens if a boat snags the line with you attached to it!

I'm not sure I would clip it a D-ring on the BC...what happens if a boat snags the line with you attached to it!

The line would snap. It's more like string. I'm too old of a dogfish to attach something to myself that could drag me away.:D

I've got limited experience with both but found the spool to be easier to use. I'm not sure what the advantage to the reel is but I only ise it becuase it came with my SMB and I've been too lazy to replace it.

I would caution about the spreel. I bought one, and found that it had a number of drawbacks over time. The most serious was that the tensioner doesn't hold. Since there is really no other practical way to secure the line so it won't unroll off the spool, it becomes a not very useful device. Great idea; not so great in actual use.

You secure line to a spool by running the line through a double-ender, and clipping the double-ender to the holes in the outside of the spool. It's a reasonable secure clip if done correctly, although they can come undone. You lock down a reel with a tensioning screw. Again, it works pretty well, but can come loose. Nothing is perfect underwater!

I'm going to add an SMB to my kit ...
Any recos on whether to go with a finger spool or reel? Particular brand or model recommendations are also appreciated. BTW, I'll mostly be using this for 15' safety stops -- I don't think I'll generally be deploying it much deeper than that.
I just have 20' of cord connected to a boltsnap rolled up into my SMB (DAN). If I need a longer line, I have a small 100' spool clipped off to my BC or I put it in my drysuit pocket.

+1 for the spool for the aforementioned reasons.

Back
Top Bottom