Finger Spool or Reel for Deploying SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are spools harder to lock the line in place than the reels?

Not really.

Looking at the broader picture, when you shoot a SMB the hardest part is fishing it out of the pocket and actually launching it without:
  • putting line all over the place (cutting tool mandatory if you carry any kind of line!)
  • changing depth too much
  • getting out of trim if that's your thing

If you can manager the above, the actual winding/unwinding and locking the line in place are non events.

As for spool choices, I like my bright orange line especially when visibility isn't good, and stainless steel bolts last a lot longer than brass. If you dive with thick gloves, there are spools designed for that, which I haven't tried yet but will if I get an occasion. That said, even with dry gloves the regular spools work just fine.

Last edited:
I've tried small reels and spools - all of them seem more trouble than they're worth for the kind of diving I do. Like you, I only use them on safety stops.

I use 7m of line, with a 5" piece of narow pvc tube tied at 5m and a lead weight tied on to the end (Other end clipped to the SMB)

When stored, the line is wrapped around the tube and the folded SMB. Fits snuggly into a (small, girl's BCD) pocket. When it comes to deploy, just let the line go, it unwinds with the weight of the lead. As the SMB shoots to the surface, just hold it very loosely at arms length. Then when it's at the surface, you can hold on to the piping. The extra couple of metres allows for the fact that you may need more line to hold the stop at 5m (surface current etc).

Simpler for beginners than messing with a reel, and it fits nicely into a small pocket.

Hope that helps :)

I found the SS spools from DSS to be quite good regardless of the glove type being worn. Higher price point then a delrin spool but I like the large center hole, strong construction and larger periphereal holes for clipping off the line.

I've tried small reels and spools - all of them seem more trouble than they're worth for the kind of diving I do. Like you, I only use them on safety stops.

I use 7m of line, with a 5" piece of narow pvc tube tied at 5m and a lead weight tied on to the end (Other end clipped to the SMB)

When stored, the line is wrapped around the tube and the folded SMB. Fits snuggly into a (small, girl's BCD) pocket. When it comes to deploy, just let the line go, it unwinds with the weight of the lead. As the SMB shoots to the surface, just hold it very loosely at arms length. Then when it's at the surface, you can hold on to the piping. The extra couple of metres allows for the fact that you may need more line to hold the stop at 5m (surface current etc).

Simpler for beginners than messing with a reel, and it fits nicely into a small pocket.

Hope that helps :)

im just not able to picture this in my head. Any chance you could snap a picture?

As for spool choices, I like my bright orange line especially when visibility isn't good, and stainless steel bolts last a lot longer than brass.

I have that one, and I love the hi-viz line.

I still prefer a reel for open ocean diving. Boat traffic in the Palm Beaches is a consideration requiring most divers to utilize 6'+ SMB's which need to be launched at some depth if of closed circuit design.

A reel clipped to the rear crotch D-ring is out of the way and within the diver's slip stream. In addition, its is easier to crank-up line with a reel rather than monkeying with a spool IMO...

http://www.mantaind.com/products/dive_reels/sd_divereel.html

I'm going to add an SMB to my kit (thanks to everyone for explaining the benefits to me) and was wondering what sort of spool/reel to get. My LDS mostly has only finger spools; the only reel (like a fishing rod) it has is pretty big.

Depends on the dive.

I carry 1.5x the amount of line for my planned depth. This gives me some scope for shooting a bag from the bottom in a heavy current. For recreational dives a spool is just fine for me. Below about 150' I carry a reel for shooting a bag.

From what you have said so far it sounds like a spool would work ok for you. The only consideration I would like to add for you is if you have any plans of getting into deeper dives, wreck penetration, or caves then I would just get a reel now. this way you get used to carrying and using the reel. It is much more versatile than the spool. I still carry a spool as a back up to my reel on all dives. The reel can easily be clipped off and is no problem to carry during the dive. If this sounds like something you might be leaning towards, take a look at Light Monkey reels. I have their 200' reel that goes with me on every dive. It is easy to carry and even easier to use. Don't be scared by the price, it is worth every penny!! Here is a link. Hope this helps. Mike
Light Monkey 200 ft Reel

im just not able to picture this in my head. Any chance you could snap a picture?

Here you go.

SMB1.JPG

SMB2.JPG

Simple and effective. You may need more in some circumstances, but for the diving I do it's perfect.

Here you go.

SMB1.JPG

SMB2.JPG

Simple and effective. You may need more in some circumstances, but for the diving I do it's perfect.

Pass... No offense but that rig has all the components necessary to snag most any diver :D

I'm in CD's boat. I clip a reel off for ~150 and use spools for~60.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom