Finished my DM!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool. Now if I'm able to join in on the next DYF(A)O, I'll know who to look to when I need to get towed back to the boat.

j/k. Congrats for your accomplishment.

Congrats Lynne! I'm sure you will make a wonderful DM.

One of the most interesting parts was reading the PADI Encyclopedia from cover to cover. Although I still can't stand the tone of the writing, I was really impressed with how much information was in there, and I'm now recommending it to anybody who asks for a book they can read to add to their information about diving.

I agree completely with this statement. It has some good, in depth writing. As all PADI publications (that I'm familiar with) it does have a very 'corporate' style, though. Not as bad as the DM manual, though!

Regarding the improvement of dive skills in the course, for you, with your experience and extensive training, certainly it's not likely to improve your dive skills. For many, however, it will, because they're coming into the course with far less experience. Where I did mine, most DMTs were diving every day with the clients and instructors for a few months, usually over 100 dives. That did improve skills substantially for most of the DMTs.

I have to say that I was surprised that you took this course, given your much more technical training. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!

I would so hate having my DM be a better diver then me! LOL!

Congrats on the DM rating. It is hard to separate learned and practiced GUE/DIR philosophies, techniques and mindset to be able to teach/demonstrate the PADI mentality. Very few people can open themselves up to both and extract the best from both. Knowing you here on the boards (and maybe a drink or 2 in Vegas lol), and reading your posts and responses to questions, you really are one of the very few. Any instructor or student having you as a DM, or team member for that mater, would be very lucky indeed.

Again...congratulations! Working on mine now...3 tests down, 5 to go. Should finish this summer, then on to AI and OWSI, hopefully by year end. Happy diving! :D

Well, honestly, with very few exceptions, I didn't have to separate my DIR training from the DM requirements. And the exceptions had more to do with the policies of the shop Peter taught for, when I started, than they did with any rules for the DM class. The one place where I did have to change was accepting that helping with students CAN require a willingness to be something other than horizontal, and sometimes even dropping fin tips in the silt (it doesn't work very well to try to adjust somebody's equipment underwater, if you are neutral and floating . . . )

At this point, I don't have any intention of going on to instructor status. I'm happy enough helping Peter (and hopefully some other friends as well) with their classes, and continuing to mentor new divers when I can.

Congrats TSandM! Way to go!

Do you mind sharing emergency plan and map? I bet they are outstanding and I am in the area where I am working on my own and could use some quality examples. PM perhaps? Thanks!

Congrats Lynne! You and Peter will make a great team. Again.

Maybe he can be your Sherpa and help haul the heavy stuff (if he wants you to continue being slave labor!)

I hear you're..... petite:wink:

~Cheryl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom