Finishing AOW tomorrow any last minute tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My AOW was done in two locations that had both haloclines, thermalclines, hydroclines and then completely black as night at the bottom (though clear) at 100ish feet. What crazy environments!! but was a lot of fun.

Study up on Nitrogen Narcosis. If your instructor is any good, they should make you tie knots or play tic-tac-toe or some form of brain usage at deeper depths. At 80+ feet you may start to feel it. At 100+ feet you should be feeling it. It just feels like you drank one too many...sluggish, have to think harder when looking at gauges or doing a task, etc.

Otherwise... it's just diving :D

oh and gas usage... but that's already been mentioned above :)

What else do you cover in the deep dive portion of AOW?

What should be covered is bailout to a redundant air supply and reg. Freeflow response. Air consumption planning. Wetsuit compression vs buoyancy. Air volume in wing. Unplanned deco. Cold. Dark.

What gets covered is usually: "look no pretty colors and the plastic bottle is crushed and aren't math problems hard to solve in the dark with gloves on.."

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

What I do on the deep dive is the following:
1. Plan the dive with adequate gas supply using the student's SAC rate that they determined on an earlier dive
2. Choose the appropriate tank for the dive. Ie an Al80 is not acceptable for a 100 ft dive. Students use 100 cu ft or larger HP tanks or an LP tank like a 95 pumped to 3000 PSI giving them a 108. or doubles if they want to.
3. Select the stage bottle. Either a 30 or 40 cu ft depending on what they have or can rent.
4. After entering the water we descend to approx 50 ft and hang the stage bottles on the descent line or if vis is bad they carry them.
5. Descend to 95- 100 ft depending on the site and I will give them a couple quick hand signals to see if they are impaired and judge reaction. Then we tie off a reel and they run it out approximately 100 ft. Stop, turn, and take up the line while managing their light as it's dark where we are as well as cold, and keeping track of their buddy.
6. Reach the tie off and they undo the tie off, secure the reel and hand it to me.
7. Then we make for the ascent line. Somewhere between the hand off and starting up the line I pull an Out Of Air on them. If they are narced I'll know when they just look at me numbly or get wide eyed ( if this happens I grab em).
8. Share air horizontal and in trim up the line to 50 ft where we then deploy the stage bottles. One at a time using proper gas switching procedures.
9. Finish the dive using deep stops and simulated deco to end the dive as a multi level dive.
10. Doing it this way has them in the water for a total run time of about 45 minutes for the deep dive as opposed to the 20 minute down and up most do.

I prefer to use actual dive skills to demonstrate narcosis as opposed to kids games that for some people show nothing and give them the idea that they were not narced. The tests I use show them as there is always some level of impairment on one or more of the skills.

I've had people who did not remember handing the reel off to me. And be fine on just about everything else. I began to do this when I saw people get faster on locks, tic tac toe, etc. at depth than they were on the surface. And it made them cocky. Not gonna happen in my class.

Oh, normally there are no more than 2 students per Advanced class. I will take a third if they are judged to be exceptional divers in the first place. But that is very rare. I'd rather do two and then the third as a private class as my advanced level classes are pretty intense. And you can fail them. They are not tours or tastes of advanced dives. There are new skills on every dive such that if you don't have your basics down good it's better if you don't take this class as you will just get frustrated.

If there's any question we'll do some evaluation dives at no cost to you, other than the gear you need to rent, to be sure I'll even allow you into the class or require some remediation in the form of workshops or just get some dives in on your own to work on the skills you should have gotten in OW.
Ie basic skills, buoyancy, trim, planning and executing dives without a DM or instructor overseeing you. That kind of stuff.

I finished my AOW successfully, thanks for all the advice. The water temp was 58 deg, I dove to 85'. We dove to a sunken house boat, the thermocline was very noticeable, At one time I kinda felt narced, as I was beside my dive instructor it felt as if we were just swimming around in a circle. I had to pull out my slate and work a problem I had previously worked on the surface where I was timed there as well at depth. I was a little slower but not much. I noticed how important it is to figure air consumption usage, you really use almost twice as much air at depth than you do at surface. I used 1700 psi in 20 mins. Visibility was only 5' if that, very dark. I'm not sure I would have known the difference between day or night at that depth in the lake. Thanks again for all the pointers guys, I enjoy reading and listening to everyone's personal experiences.

... I dove to 85'. ... I noticed how important it is to figure air consumption usage, you really use almost twice as much air at depth than you do at surface.
Actually you use almost four times as much.

I really enjoyed this thread and humbly say I learned a lesson or two. Thanks guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom