FINS, FINS, and more FINS!!! Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fins are very personal. I have had a pair of Deep Outdoors Sixgills fins (aka APS Mantaray) for 8 years and have done around 350 dives with them. Would not change them for anything else. Short, light, great power but above all, good in tight turns and awkward positioning for UW photography.

Give the Aeris Accels a chance if you can. Haven't thoroughly put mine through the paces but they did ok for the 6 dives I did last week in the Palm Beach area (both shore & drift dives)

This ^^

Make sure to check to see if they will accept spring straps, they make them for 3/4" raised posts, but not sure about sizing on those. No spring straps=no cave use with some instructors and certifying agencies.

Swimming the 1/4 mile out and back does not happen often but a 200-300 yard does a lot. The freedive fins are out because of possible cave and also I do back fin a lot. I am going to call around for the DR fins and see if anyone has a pair to try.

900 feet a lot, but not so much 1,320 feet. That's a hump, either way. Freedive Longblades for me.

Possible cave diving, too.? And Backfinning, already.

:hm: I'm thinking... pick one specific dive task for now, get that design of a fin. Add others later that are mission specific.

I still call 'em flippers, and I have what? Six pair or so. Depends on what I'm doing.

Doc, that may be the way I have to go. I am going diving this wrekend so I hope to try some out. It will be the 300yd shore dive and it will give me a chance to see how some fins will do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I started open water with Jet Sports (a blade fin, not at all like Jets), moved to Jets when I started cave diving, sticking with the Jet Sports in OW, then tried several fins when I started sidemount in caves because the Jets were too foot heavy in SM before settling on Dive Rites which I like a lot. If I was to do another backmount cave dive I'd likely use the Jets rather than the Dive Rites because I'd need the extra foot weight. Before getting the Dive Rites I tried Seac 100 4x4s and Hollis F2s. Many people like the Seacs (and I have a pair in Tampa that've only been in the water twice that I'd let go at half of retail if you're interested -- spring strap long blade fin). The F2s are ultra light weight with very little power -- I may keep mine as a travel fin if I'm flying somewhere where weight is a premium but they'd never be an everyday fin.

If you're worried about expense then you're not ready for cave diving.... You thought scuba gear was expensive? You ain't seen nothing yet!

I just dont want to pay a premium price for fins that another type that cost less will do. I am spending money on other gear like regs, bp/w, more tanks, lights, and the biggest sink...a boat. I figure for $100 to 150 I should be able to get a pair of good fins, hell my Jets only cost me $40 at the time I bought them an I used the crap out of them for everything from tubing down the river and snorkeling to Diving in nasty conditions. Not that I don't have the cash, I just want to be frugal where I can.

---------- Post added August 8th, 2014 at 08:13 AM ----------

On the other side, my 2 sons want new fins also because the straps and buckles on the old Dacor ones they have are just about shot. They will be trying them too and getting a pair. I am not going to pay for thier other gear...made that mistake once and the wife made me sleep in the yard...lol

I'd go with the Diverite fins if you want something a bit easier on the legs than the jets but almost as good. Hard to beat for the price, and good quality fins.

Check craigslist out you can find old jet fins for cheap. If the Dacor ones they have are still in good shape aside from buckles and straps, Fin Spring Straps those are actually pretty good quality spring straps

I'd go with the Diverite fins if you want something a bit easier on the legs than the jets but almost as good. Hard to beat for the price, and good quality fins.

Check craigslist out you can find old jet fins for cheap. If the Dacor ones they have are still in good shape aside from buckles and straps, Fin Spring Straps those are actually pretty good quality spring straps

For one pair these would work fine. On the other pair the stud is wore out. Will order a set today, thanks for the link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom