Fins flying off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wearing heavy pacific NW dive gear.
So thick boots -- I think I just messed up and didn't have the quick release buckle in all the way or the strap was just plain too loose.

I think I just didn't pay enough attention to my fins with getting my new wetsuit all tweaked in (the attached hood was different then anything I dove in before)

So its another case of not going slow enough/careful enough and making sure I was ready to enter the water :) I suppose its better to learn this lesson here floating in a shallow lake then on the dive boat next weekend.

If you are diving with a buddy (hopefully), have checking your fins part of the routine. On my last shore dive, I stuck my reg in, laid on my back and had my buddy hoist my fins out of the water and check the buckles. Put your reg in though as your head will probably go under.

Ah this was just a float (no diving at all) in the water to see how the new wetsuit felt -- so I didn't have a buddy (had shore people).

This is actually one of the reason that may prevent me from going to get the fin. The lake is about 150 miles round trip and I would need to rent gear, find a buddy and ect.

I wanted to get a little suit test before using it out in Hood Canal next weekend.
And so the test is going to cost me 2.5 Scuba bucks :(

Oh well new fins and springs :)

Don't dive with fins that have a quick release.

? I just bought the Mares Avanti with the wuick release. I was told they are awesome.
I will however get booties with the big rubber heal to hold them in place.

Don't put your fins on by using the quick release. You are just asking for a lost fin. Have the strap connected before you put the fin on with the strap below your heel, then slide the strap over your heel. Even doing it this way you still need to make sure the quick release is clicked in securely. Never put your fins on by wrapping the strap around your ankle then clicking in the quick release. Having said all of that...I'm another vote for spring straps...

Was the fin black? The likelihood of finding a black fin in silt in the PNW some time after you lost it is low. But it can't hurt to rent or borrow fins and go look.

I lost fins repeatedly until I went to spring straps. Springs straps ROCK -- they are easier to get on and off than regular straps, and you will NOT lose a fin.

? I just bought the Mares Avanti with the wuick release. I was told they are awesome.
I will however get booties with the big rubber heal to hold them in place.

SkipperJohn,

I've been using the Mares Avanti and they are a nice set of fins. I've never had trouble with the quick release. Even with 3mm gloves on I can feel when it does not click back in. If you are concerned about it though, you can get third party steel spring straps for your fins. The quick release, when open, can be slid off and spring straps can be slid on.

keeper_product

When I used to body board that was the one thing that was almost a guarantee. Losing your fins in the surf. Try these out!!!!

I dive mares Avanti Quick release. Love them now, but it took a few dives for the system to loosen up- I found the buckle didn't click in properly. First dive I did with them, ended up with the strap round my ankle after the giant stride and my buddy trying to prise them off me... Sand can also really snarl up the system when shore diving. I want to replace them with springs- still don't quite trust the quick releases, though they've improved with use (this loosening up makes me worry that one day, they'll loosen up too much!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom