Fins for currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These are the fins I bought recently and love them.

Mares Avanti Quattro Power Full Foot Long Blade Fins, Black

After listening to Dan go on and on about freedive fins I decided to head in that direction. Now these are not freedive fins but they are longer than the traditional length fins by several inches. I can tell you after owning several different fins over the years, these are the best fins I have owned and I can't imagine ever switching to something else unless it were to be one of the true freedive fins. But for the diving I do and because they are easier to travel with, I decided on these. It was the right decision for me.

I know you don't think an open toe/ split fin will be able to propel you in fast current, and everyone says jet fins are magical. But.. I love my Atomic splitfins even in a current. Having not used jets i can't compare, but i have never had any issues with my splitfins.

You may also find that your fin preferences change as you dive. I loved my quattro's when I first started diving... then I had to take a season and a half off for health reasons... and now my fins drive me crazy. I have no idea why, but now they just seem too long or floppy or something and too buoyant for my diving. I'm dealing with it because I plan to do most of my dives dry (and will need new fins later) but something just switched in my head that makes my previously loved fins wrong for me.

The best I could do last weekend was to stay in place against the current; I couldn't swim into it. This was with Jet Fins off of Palm Beach.

Any of the divers in this thread that would like to try DiveR's or force fin excellerastors, or Hollis F1's, are welcome to try a set of mine on a Palm Beach Dive ( or BHB). I had a pair of Scubapro jetfins, but Sandra appropriated them :)
Dan
Dan, do you have any idea where I could try the Pro Force Fins? That's about as high as I could go, price-wise.

The best I could do last weekend was to stay in place against the current; I couldn't swim into it. This was with Jet Fins off of Palm Beach.

Dan, do you have any idea where I could try the Pro Force Fins? That's about as high as I could go, price-wise.
I WOULD BE HAPPY TO LET YOU TRY MY ACCELERATING FORCE FINS...jUST LET ME KNOW.

These are the fins I bought recently and love them.

Mares Avanti Quattro Power Full Foot Long Blade Fins, Black

After listening to Dan go on and on about freedive fins I decided to head in that direction. Now these are not freedive fins but they are longer than the traditional length fins by several inches. I can tell you after owning several different fins over the years, these are the best fins I have owned and I can't imagine ever switching to something else unless it were to be one of the true freedive fins. But for the diving I do and because they are easier to travel with, I decided on these. It was the right decision for me.

I have those very fins both full foot and open heel. I also dive Jets. I have compared them exhaustively swimming laps with and without gear and timing myself. I am a competitive Masters swimmer and open water racer. I can gauge my power output enough to make reasonable comparisons. As well, extensive use of both fins scuba diving including WPB. I prefer the Quattros for weight concerns when my dive bag is bursting at the seams, otherwise, hate to break it, the old champ is still the champ, the all around best fins, the Jet. The Quattros will buckle and fold under when I put the pedal to the metal in heavy current, the Jets do not.

N

Edit:

Oh, I see, those are "long blade" so perhaps I will partially retract, mine are the standard long Avanti full foot. I will have to get some of the "long blade" and give them a try.

N

Post this on the Force Fin forum of scubaboard....I think Meesier or one of the other regulars there will know someone that would let you try a pair....

When in my home waters, I use my Apollo Bio-Fins and am happy with them. As long as I judge the current properly and my relation to the dive boat, I have no problem returning. However, when I travel (especially to areas with strong currents), I take my old U.S. Divers (AquaLung) Blades. They are much lighter to travel with and give me plenty of oomph (coupled with my good German tree stumps... er, legs).

The TUSA xpert zoom is not made for currents, the Atomic Splits are much better and you can move just fine through currents. Other good fins for currents are the Cressi Recation and TUSA tri-ex.

A pair of fins has no idea if there are currents or not. The measure of a fins ability to push a diver against a current is simply the sustained speed to which a pair of fins attached to diver "X" feet producing "Y" wattage effort can produce. If the current is 2.5 MPH and the diver, as equipped, fins, gear and his/her physical fitness can only sustain 1.8 MPH, then said diver will be going backwards, -.7 MPH. Very few SCUBA equipped divers can sustain speeds much over 1 MPH with perhaps a burst speed a bit over 2 MPH.

Currents in and around inlets, tidal passes, the Gulf Stream, even in the Gulf, can run in the 5 knot range, though usually a good bit less. A SCUBA equipped diver will experience a 2 MPH current as being a significant impediment to forward progress in relation to some fixed object/objective or destination regardless of the fin type or kicking style.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom