Fins similar to Mares quattro excel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScubaScubaYAY

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last summer I used the Mares Quattro Excel fins and really enjoyed them. I am looking for something that would work and feel similar to these, but ideally in a different brand. I really like to try fins out before I buy and none of the dive shops in my area carry mares, so I am looking for a similar fin that dive shops would be likely to carry.

My price limit is about $130, but I may be willing to go to $150 if I really love them. Also, it would be really helpful if they were somewhat lightweight for travel.

I could really use some help on this. I am leaving on a big trip really soon and need to make a decision. Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions!

Do you mean different manufacturer? I bought a pair of Mares Superchannel open heel fins, very similar to Quattros, from LeisurePro on sale for $50 (list is $130) and free shipping a couple of years ago. Why not buy what you want, Mares or otherwise, via the internet?

Well I guess the problem is that I don't know if the Quattro Excel is really what I want. They worked very well for me, but Mares has already replaced them with the Quattro+ and I am probably looking for something that weighs a bit less as well. I'm being extra picky about my fins because I don't have the luxury of buying something, finding out I don't like it, and replacing it a year from now. I am a recent college grad on a tight budget who is trying to find a career in the dive industry and I really want whatever fins I buy to last me for the next 3 years at least.

Well I guess the problem is that I don't know if the Quattro Excel is really what I want. They worked very well for me, but Mares has already replaced them with the Quattro+ and I am probably looking for something that weighs a bit less as well. I'm being extra picky about my fins because I don't have the luxury of buying something, finding out I don't like it, and replacing it a year from now. I am a recent college grad on a tight budget who is trying to find a career in the dive industry and I really want whatever fins I buy to last me for the next 3 years at least.

I'm on the website II don't see how the Quattro Excel has been replaced by the Quattro+: there's an Excel+ and a Quattro...Open Heel - Mares - just add water

If you've had the opportunity to try various fins & found the ones you liked, buy them. If you can't afford new, see if the dive shop can hook you up with some used one or put you in touch with someone who's looking to sell the kind of fins in which you are interested.

Or you can always put an ad here indicated that you want to buy a particular fin.

Any way you look at it, Mares fins LAST. I have the Volos & my hubby has the Quattros, both of which have hundreds of dives on them.

Bonne chance,

I'd give some serious consideration to sticking with Mares; they are arguably the best fin manufacturer in the business...they are at least amongst the best. I hear you on not wanting to waste money, but again, Mares is a top fin-maker and I believe there is very little difference between the excel and the excel+

If you like the Quattros, then buy them. I guarantee that if you buy a knock off, they won't perform and you'll end up wasting money. You should find them quite inexpensively on Ebay or from any of the mail order outlets. Mares has released the X-Stream and the Volo Power so they should have gone down in price. Paid $120 for mine fifteen years ago. That's less than $10/year. Remember, Scuba gear last a very long time, provided that you maintain properly & regularly.

C.

Last summer my wife lost one of her Mares Quattro fins in the surf during our rescue class. I couldn't find the (pink) color ones she wanted any more, so started scouring eBay. I picked up a pair of the old style Mares Plana Avanti fins, which she hated - no power, hard to kick. I did some research and ordered the Quattro Excel fins. Mares still made the Quattro Plana Avantis, but I figured the Quattro Excel were newer and better. While waiting for them to arrive, I picked up a pair of Mares Volos off of eBay. They kicked OK, but didn't provide as much power for longer surface swims. The Quattro Excels finally arrived. They are a newer model, and also a bit stiffer and harder to kick than her old Quattros, but she still liked them. I also picked up a pair of pink Quattros off of eBay, but she hasn't done any back-to-back comparisons yet. She did comment late last year that she never realized fins were so different.

I also looked at the Mares Superchannel fins, but they seemed softer than the Quattros.

From what I've read, the Quattro Plana Avanti fins are the best for current, the Quattro Excel fins are stiffer and can provide more power. Each kicks different. You might want to find a Mares dealer that has all in stock and borrow them for a pool session to see what all the differences are in the way the fins kick

If price is an issue, check out some of the used ones on eBay - there are some pretty decent prices out there at times. The fins will be scratched up compared to new, but after a few dives you'll still scratch new ones no matter how careful you are

I love my Mares fins.

Not because I have Mares fins, because I have or have used most fins.

And if you don't mind putting your scratches on top of someone else's scratches.

I pay fifty dollars for Mares fins, last week thirty nine dollars, and you
have more people and more fins.

Six months ago thirty five dollars.

YouTube - Steve Bogaerts Sidemount Skills demo in a Razor Harness

This dude seems to do OK in his Mares fins.

I don't see him as being the type to have softness problems.

A fin that is too stiff may lead to, difficult to fin, technique problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom