fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasoncassanova

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
what are the differences between power fins, jet fins and turtle fins? if there are any?

We should totally implement a search function.

Also, you forgot Force Fins.

Realistically, the difference in fins is like the difference in cars. The number of prices and features are all over the map. Some people will argue for years over the merits of the big 3 vs. Japanese, and which of those families produces the best cars. Same with fins. OMG splits! WTF? JET! Get fins that suit your muscle tone and swimming style. (I bike a lot -- Force Fins let me use my biking muscles for diving.) If all else fails, choose the ones that are in your favorite colour. If you're not sure, go for a test drive. See which fins work best for you.

There aren't a lot of empirical, scientifically valid studies on the subject. What you'll hear is a combination of marketing hype, urban legend, and personal preference. I swim in a perfect circle, Force Fin on the outside, when wearing two different fins. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a better fin but that it's a better fins for me. (I think it IS a better fin, but that's just my opinion.)

Now, where's the emoticon of the guy eating popcorn? :popcorn:

There may be some very very slight technical differences but my guess is they are very very small......if not totally insignificant.......:shocked2:

I think it is the foot pocket design and boot fit that is the most significant variance between them......

I dive a SP Lighting Jets myself, never tried the others.......

Hope this helps......M

Let's see what others post........:popcorn:

It might be useful to check out the physics of split fins thread in fins, mask and snorkels. There are a number of folks with independent test data and no manufacturer affiliation who have been testing fins for years.

The difference between Jets and Turtles is that Turtles are slightly softer, and an XL Turtle fin has a foot pocket that is sized between an XL Jet and an XXL Jet. I don't know what you mean by "power" fins.

what are the differences between power fins, jet fins and turtle fins? if there are any?

I've never heard of a power fin.

Jet fins have been around for decades, essentially unaltered, for very good reason. But since you are in the Philippines, know that they are heavy, fairly stiff, and generally more suitable for diving in a tech rig than a tropical, single-tank rig. They are favored among people who dive doubles and carry stages because of how well they perform under heavier loads. If you are looking for a fin that provides a lot of power, excellent control, and good "feedback" in terms of being able to feel what you're doing, this is one of the best fins to choose. However, if you're looking for a fin that's easy to push through the water, it's probably not. Also, their foot pockets are shaped more for two-by-fours than for human feet, and take a bit of getting used to. There is also a considerable size difference between their size XL and XXL, which forces a lot of people who would want to use them to consider alternative fins, because the former is too small and the latter is too large.

That's where Turtle fins come in. Lynne mentioned the XL Turtle fits between the XL Jet and the XXL Jet. I didn't find that to be the case. In fact, the XXL Turtle ... which is produced by XS Scuba ... appears to me to be about the same size foot pocket as the XL Jet, while the XXXL Turtle has a wider foot pocket than the XL Jet and a shallower foot pocket than the XXL Jet, which makes it a good choice for the "tweener" who can't fit into either of the larger Jet sizes.

Turtle fins are a good alternative to Jets, however they are considerably softer and won't give you the "snap" that you'll get with the Jets. They are great for photographers, however, as they are an excellent "precision" fin ... people who like to use tiny little flicks of the fin tip to position themselves just right for the shot will like this fin.

There are two other alternatives you should look at (and preferably field trial) if this is the style of fin you are settled on.

The OMS Slipstreams are very similar to Jets in terms of performance and size. They are, however, made from a lighter weight material and weigh only about half of what the Jets do. But like the Jets, the foot pockets are squarish and not always comfortable for people with human-shaped feet. I love the performance of this fin ... but not the comfort.

The Hollis F1 is a newer fin on the market. It's longer and softer than any of the above fins, but provides a surprising amount of power. I was skeptical about these fins because of their flex until I tried them ... and now I want a pair. The foot pocket is very ergonomic ... in plan English they're the most comfortable fins I've ever used ... and enclose a larger portion of your foot than any of the other fins previously mentioned. This gives you an incredible amount of control and "feedback" on what your fins are doing. And for those caught in the XL-is-too-small and XXL-is-too-large conundrum, the F1 offers a fin that you can love. And they are completely suitable for tech diving ... I tried them wearing double 119's and an AL40 deco bottle and couldn't stop grinning at how much glide I was getting on my frog kick ... seemingly with a lot less effort than with either the Jets or Turtles. Back kicks were nice and strong, and the fin was as "precise" on the little tip-flips as I've grown accustomed to with my Turtles. At the end of the dive the guy who loaned them to me asked me what I thought and my response was "I gotta get me some of these"!

I'd recommend you try out a few pairs and see what works for you ... or do what I did and just buy a pair, kick 'em for a while, and decide whether they're keepers or not. I have owned them all except the F1's, and will be getting a pair of those very soon.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
I've never heard of a power fin.

Jet fins have been around for decades, essentially unaltered, for very good reason. But since you are in the Philippines, know that they are heavy, fairly stiff, and generally more suitable for diving in a tech rig than a tropical, single-tank rig. They are favored among people who dive doubles and carry stages because of how well they perform under heavier loads. If you are looking for a fin that provides a lot of power, excellent control, and good "feedback" in terms of being able to feel what you're doing, this is one of the best fins to choose. However, if you're looking for a fin that's easy to push through the water, it's probably not. Also, their foot pockets are shaped more for two-by-fours than for human feet, and take a bit of getting used to. There is also a considerable size difference between their size XL and XXL, which forces a lot of people who would want to use them to consider alternative fins, because the former is too small and the latter is too large.

That's where Turtle fins come in. Lynne mentioned the XL Turtle fits between the XL Jet and the XXL Jet. I didn't find that to be the case. In fact, the XXL Turtle ... which is produced by XS Scuba ... appears to me to be about the same size foot pocket as the XL Jet, while the XXXL Turtle has a wider foot pocket than the XL Jet and a shallower foot pocket than the XXL Jet, which makes it a good choice for the "tweener" who can't fit into either of the larger Jet sizes.

Turtle fins are a good alternative to Jets, however they are considerably softer and won't give you the "snap" that you'll get with the Jets. They are great for photographers, however, as they are an excellent "precision" fin ... people who like to use tiny little flicks of the fin tip to position themselves just right for the shot will like this fin.

There are two other alternatives you should look at (and preferably field trial) if this is the style of fin you are settled on.

The OMS Slipstreams are very similar to Jets in terms of performance and size. They are, however, made from a lighter weight material and weigh only about half of what the Jets do. But like the Jets, the foot pockets are squarish and not always comfortable for people with human-shaped feet. I love the performance of this fin ... but not the comfort.

The Hollis F1 is a newer fin on the market. It's longer and softer than any of the above fins, but provides a surprising amount of power. I was skeptical about these fins because of their flex until I tried them ... and now I want a pair. The foot pocket is very ergonomic ... in plan English they're the most comfortable fins I've ever used ... and enclose a larger portion of your foot than any of the other fins previously mentioned. This gives you an incredible amount of control and "feedback" on what your fins are doing. And for those caught in the XL-is-too-small and XXL-is-too-large conundrum, the F1 offers a fin that you can love. And they are completely suitable for tech diving ... I tried them wearing double 119's and an AL40 deco bottle and couldn't stop grinning at how much glide I was getting on my frog kick ... seemingly with a lot less effort than with either the Jets or Turtles. Back kicks were nice and strong, and the fin was as "precise" on the little tip-flips as I've grown accustomed to with my Turtles. At the end of the dive the guy who loaned them to me asked me what I thought and my response was "I gotta get me some of these"!

I'd recommend you try out a few pairs and see what works for you ... or do what I did and just buy a pair, kick 'em for a while, and decide whether they're keepers or not. I have owned them all except the F1's, and will be getting a pair of those very soon.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

thanks for the insights bob, i appreciate the effort of the long response and i've understood every bits and pieces of what you've explained here.

I have the bio fins and I love them!

The difference between Jets and Turtles is that Turtles are slightly softer, and an XL Turtle fin has a foot pocket that is sized between an XL Jet and an XXL Jet. I don't know what you mean by "power" fins.
In case anyone is interested, the Power fins mentioned by the OP are being sold by XS Scuba. Here's a link to the product page. The fin design looks very similar to that of the Jetfin. I have no personal experience with the Power fin. Your guess is as good as mine with regard to how large the foot pocket is and how it compares to the foot pockets on the Jets and Turtles.

Pfft, never heard of power fins??? And you people call yourselves divers??? Why, they're the latest thing on the market. Basically miniature nuclear submarines that have a pocket for your feet. They do the finning for you. Totally rad, dude! I get like 100 minutes of bottom time on an AL80 in 200 fsw.

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom