Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another interesting comment from that paper:

John Harris
15/02/2018 at 11:54 am
Comment Link

After years of thinking about it and trying to figure out how to shoehorn it into the budget (without my wife noticing it), I have decided not to bother with a rebreather. I have survived cancer. I don’t think I need to purposely need to put my life at that much risk in the name of recreation. I’ll carry a bigger tank, or possibly two. I just won’t suck the fun out of my dives by piling on the risk and having to pay such attention to detail, where I will be so busy that I won’t have time to enjoy it.

I just won’t suck the fun out of my dives by piling on the risk and having to pay such attention to detail, where I will be so busy that I won’t have time to enjoy it.

For whatever it is worth, I have been enjoying my diving a lot more since I went CCR. My photography has improved as well. I mean, I'm not saying that John should get a rebreather, but I don't think that it sucks all the fun out of diving.

Well, this is 2019 and information spreads throughout the world immediately...like it or not :wink:

Nothing remotely negative or "ghoulish" has been said here. What is it that is so upsetting to you?
Sometimes information does indeed spread inmediately. Often however it does take a while to compile, sort out, analyze etc. and what spreads immediately undortuately often is B.S, conjecture, opinion, disinformation....
but yes, sometimes information...

Reactions: Roz
I am in Bonaire. I was on the dock while she was setting up. Inspiration, two AL40s. I did not see if they were plumbed into the BOV or not. She suited up, took the the two bottles, dropped them in, put her RB on, and entered the water. She did not prebreath on the dock, but may have in the water.....she remained face down at the surface for a while after she donned the two 40s, and then swam off. Nice, friendly, outgoing lady. I was told staff saw her face down on the reef at 25m. There was some confusion because a Rescue class was going on at the same time, and apparently some who saw her thought she was part of that class.

I am in Bonaire. I was on the dock while she was setting up. Inspiration, two AL40s. I did not see if they were plumbed into the BOV or not. She suited up, took the the two bottles, dropped them in, put her RB on, and entered the water. She did not prebreath on the dock, but may have in the water.....she remained face down at the surface for a while after she donned the two 40s, and then swam off. Nice, friendly, outgoing lady. I was told staff saw her face down on the reef at 25m. There was some confusion because a Rescue class was going on at the same time, and apparently some who saw her thought she was part of that class.
300ft and two 40s...

This may have absolutely nothing to do with her passing, but its a giant red flag.

Where did you read 300ft. 25m = 82’
"With a heavy heart, I am saddened to announce the death of Fiona Sharp who passed away today while diving her Inspiration CCR in Bonaire. Coming up from a solo dive to 300 feet, she was found on the reef at 80 feet, unresponsive, with the loop out of her mouth.

Known to many tech divers world wide, Fiona was a real character and the life of any party! As an anesthesiologist and hyperbaric doctor, she was passionate about all things diving related and eager to discuss/argue about them with anyone who would engage with her.

Farewell Fiona. You will be deeply missed by the diving community."
CCR Explorers Discussion Group

She was found shallower with no loop in her mouth. The dive was to 300ft unless someone has seen a computer profile to the contrary.

There isn’t an inherent conflict between showing some respect for the dead by limiting comment about the cause of death for a respectful length of time, and having a discussion for the benefit of others scuba divers regarding what is safe and what is unsafe. At least in concept, note can be made of a passing, and then people can keep still until someone actually knows something worth saying. Of course, in real life there will always be too many people who just want to hear themselves blather for that to actually work. But if people could refrain from weighing in until they actually have specific facts instead of just opinions, then at least the families might be able to get the bodies in the ground, and there’d be at least the illusion of respect for the dead. And we could all still learn our important lessons.

Reactions: Roz

Back
Top Bottom