• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by JohnnyC, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Scott from LongIsland

Scott from LongIsland Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    If family and friends stumble upon this forum when searching for answers they will likely find much better information here than via some media reporter that has never been in the water before. What is so ghoulish about wanting the same answers that family and friends are searching for in regards to her death?

2. jgttrey

jgttrey ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

No. Top picture is an Ambient Pressure (Inspo) BOV.

Bottom picture is stock footage that some TV station grabbed of, I assume, John Hanzl on his rEVO.

Dan likes this.
  3. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    That would be up to the individual. I hadn't even known about the incident until I read this thread. What a horrific loss, and most of what's being said is in line with this sentiment. It's how we mourn and figure out how to move on. I do believe that family and close friends should be careful for what they look for online. Discussions such as this are all over facebook already, but there is no moderation of accusations or speculations. No one here wants to be disrespectful, and that's why we watch these threads closely to keep them that way. Like the Conception disaster, we act as a portal for thoughtful reflection as well as a collection point for pertinent facts.

4. formernuke

formernuke Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I understand the want to know when an experienced diver dies underwater. I remeber about 9 or 10 years ago one of the best divers in the world died diving on popular rec wreck at 80 feet of the Massachusetts coast. Everyone wanted to know what happened so we could learn from it.

AfterDark likes this.
  5. shoredivr

shoredivr Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    This, x100.

eleniel, Blueringocto_73 and ScubaAl like this.
  6. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Solo Diver

The people who truly want to learn from an incident will still care about it and can do so just as well 2 weeks, 2 months, even 2 years afterwards. :wink:

RyanT likes this.
  7. Dan

Dan Orca

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Thanks for clarifying those 2 contradicting pictures.

8. Dan

Dan Orca

9. Scott from LongIsland

Scott from LongIsland Barracuda

Well, this is 2019 and information spreads throughout the world immediately...like it or not :wink:

Nothing remotely negative or "ghoulish" has been said here. What is it that is so upsetting to you?

xmass-Eve and eleniel like this.
  10. Perryed

Perryed Nassau Grouper

I myself believe it`s never to early do discuss a dive fatality. But that`s me. In this case a rebreather was involved and not open circuit scuba. I always read about every scuba fatality I can as soon as I can, not because of morbidity but because of self defense. Seems well over 90% of the time it`s diver error. Be it missed preparation, inexperience, poor health or just plain stupidity. I do this because I dive with my granddaughters and want them to be informed and as safe as possible and for self education. If you put off a discussion sometimes it never happens.

eleniel, AfterDark, Hoyden and 2 others like this.