Fire at Alegro August 1, 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My friend who works there lost his gear in the fire as it was his day off. He is super mad and now needs to replace all his equipment. He is super sad :( It cost a lot of money in Mexico to buy new gear.
Especially if he can't work without it. Maybe he would have some success with an online fundraiser.

oh my! My heart is racing just seeing these pictures and video clips! I can't even imagine being there in person witnessing this! I surely pray everyone escaped unharmed! Things can be replaced....lives can not.

This is a major hotel, the report that the fire fighting system didn't work and the manual fire hoses had no water and the fire extinguishers did not work does not sound good. I do not think it was corporate policies as there is too much money involved in the property, suspect local management was cutting corners.

Edit: This fire was seperate from the fatal kitchen fire several weeks ago at the Occidental

Didn't the palapa roof on La Choza burn something like three times before they finally moved to a building without one?
A cabbie told me there was some kind of feud between the owners of La Choza and the owners of another restaurant and the owners of the other restaurant kept lighting the La Choza palapa on fire in retaliation

Those thatch roofs are just nasty fire hazards.

Excerpting from that link...
According to preliminary information, witnesses stated that the fire started in the palapas located in the children’s area of the Allegro Cozumel Hotel, but when an attempt was made to extinguish the fire with nearby hoses, they did not have water.

Hotel employees revealed that the fire extinguishers were also not in good condition, so the fire got out of control.
According to Quintero, the hotel’s fire system was not working at the time flames broke out, which caused the fire to spread.

He also said that the hotel had not complied with observations made to them previously by Civil Protection

I just got back from this place last week. I hope the DM that lost his gear can get some replacements soon. All the staff at the dive center were really nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom