fire coral 10 day delayed reaction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

becca31

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got stung by some fire coral last Tuesday, was fine for 10 days until yesterday (Friday). Now it's blistered and itching like crazy. Is that long of a delayed reaction normal? Dang that's itchy!

I'm surprised you didn't get more of an initial reaction, but I've definitely had the same sort of long-term condition from fire coral and jellies. I had one that had seemed to totally heal once I got back home, but when I went back to the tropics two months later, it flared up and started itching again. Benadryl cream might help with the itching? Don't worry, it will go away someday!

Get some packets of meat tenderizer from the grocery store [3-4 should do it]...Fill your tub, dissolve the tenderizer in it and soak for about 1/2hr...or until the 'itchies' go away....Should give you permanent relief....Breaks down the protein-base of the poison.....[Makes you nice and tender for B-B-Q'ing too ;P !!!!!]......

I got stung by some fire coral last Tuesday, was fine for 10 days until yesterday (Friday). Now it's blistered and itching like crazy. Is that long of a delayed reaction normal? Dang that's itchy!

Sounds more like an infection that's been brewing.

You should probably see a doc.

flots.

Reactions: Doc
You might get more help in the Dive Medicine forum....

Sounds more like you got into contact with a hydroid versus fire coral. I have had the same issue on two different occasions. I washed my hands with Hibiclens twice a day and applied steriod cream. It looked horrible and angry. Fortunately when it dissipates it happens almost over night.

I had a flare-up a week later. It was minor annoyance when I encountered the reef, but pretty painful a week later. I went to work that night, and about halfway through my shift, my forearms just started itching like crazy. By the end of the shift, half my forearms were a solid rash, and swollen up about a quarter to an eighth of an inch off my arm. I was worried to death, until I googled 'fire coral.' The images were pretty much what I was seeing so I didn't worry too much. I treated it with Benadryl spray and within a couple of days it was completely gone.

Sounds more like you got into contact with a hydroid versus fire coral. I have had the same issue on two different occasions. I washed my hands with Hibiclens twice a day and applied steriod cream. It looked horrible and angry. Fortunately when it dissipates it happens almost over night.
That may be the case here, since fire coral hurts when it gets you, hydroids only sting a bit initially. Same end result, though.

Yeah, sounds more like Hydroids than Fire Coral. OR possibly a different type of coral poisoning, you could have just scraped yourself on some "regular" coral, which will also cause welts & irritation, and if you are not careful and you use a medicine with iodine in it (not even sure if that stuff is used anymore nowdays), but coral will feed off of it and if you put it on a coral cut, it is possible for coral to start growing in there!

I still carry scars on my knees from coral cuts I got when I first started diving and only had a wetsuit top, 30 years ago. My knees took some pretty bad hits diving in heavy surge trying to catch lobsters. (this was not on Coz)

I get into the Hydroids every year. It usually does take a few days , but not 10!, before the welts start coming up, then they itch...and itch....and itch.., then they turn red, eventually turn really nasty looking, purple and clear up. Process takes a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom