fire coral 10 day delayed reaction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Everyone, I got stung 10 days ago and it was a minor rash, not bothersome at all. Yesterday it flared up like crazy and is spreading. I got some hydrocortisone from my dermatologist and just started it today. Any other suggestions would be appreciated; should I see a doc? I'm a little nervous as this was my first dive.

Benadryl ---pills.
Suggestions? Don't touch anything in the water. :D

When I get stung, it's usually floating hydroids around Cozumel, and it's usually a case of controlling the itch while I grow new skin in about a month. Hydrocortizone creams or ointments work well for me, but some also apply Benadryl cream or ointment mixed in. I bet your dermatologist gave you the best advice.

Benadryl/Loratadine antihistamine pills may help.

Pretty sure it was fire coral, so I don't have to worry about being illegal (except that then I'd have to go back, which would be lovely). I was doing a shore dive, swimming too close to the fence and the current pushed me into it. A really stupid move considering I was warned about the fire coral on the fence. And yah, it definitely hurt right away but by that evening it was better until just a couple days ago. I tried zinging somebody on Saturday with a handshake but instead he just got slathered with anti-itch gel.

I think that Fire Coral is actually a hydrozoan.

What is happening to you is relatively common especially(in my experience) if it was not cleaned especially well.. Years ago I had that happen to me a couple of times. Now I wear a wetsuit or skin 99.9% of the time even in 82F water.

If it gets worse you should seek medical attention to help take care of it...

Cheers,
Roger

I think that Fire Coral is actually a hydrozoan.

It is--closely related to hydroids and not closely related to coral.

Articles do vary and even contradict at times. Being published there is impressive but not necessarily DAN policy, and even the latter changes at times.

So you are saying that DAN publishes articles in its official magazine and on its website that has information with which it disagrees?

Back
Top Bottom