fire coral 10 day delayed reaction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you are saying that DAN publishes articles in its official magazine and on its website that has information with which it disagrees?
Yeah somewhat. These two articles are an example: Vinegar vs No Vinegar.

Yeah somewhat. These two articles are an example: Vinegar vs No Vinegar.

I assume you intended to include links in that post.

I assume you intended to include links in that post.
Oh, no - the articles will give varying views, reflecting the opinions of the authors and others being quoted, so it's no surprising that parts will contradict at times, newly revised info be published, etc. It's also easy to find articles supporting PFO exams vs opposing them for DCS victims.

Here is the discussion from a few years ago: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/230816-vinegar-no-longer-included-my-dive-bag.html containing an excellent summary of the discussion outcome, as it does seem I misremembered the stand on using vinegar on fire coral: Yep, use it...
RE: A General Orientation to What DAN is Recommending

Vinegar has a very long history of substantial benefit in the treatment of marine envenomations of various sorts (e.g., fire corals, white stinging hydroids) that can occur when scraping encrusted pipes and boat bottoms, grabbing encrusted ropes or just inadvertently coming into contact with reefs, corals and sponges.

DAN is not advocating ceasing the immediate application of copious quantities of vinegar when such accidents occur.

What DAN is responding to is the increasing concern that certain marine envenomations, such as those by specific members of the jellyfish family, can be made worse by applying vinegar and other products like alcohol, Windex, urine and meat tenderizer, as these may cause unfired nematocytes to discharge. The osmotic differential created by flushing with fresh rather than salt water also may cause this event to occur.

In short, after having a run-in with a jellyfish follow DAN's guidelines. But, if you are sure the offending creature was a fire coral, feathery hydroid or kindred hydrozoan, vinegar is your friend.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

From the delayed reaction, this definitely sounds like a hydroid. You'll know it immediately if you ever touch fire coral - it will buns like hell, ank keep burning til its treated. I got hit by some hydroids on the back of my hand a couple of years ago. The initial reaction was like a pinprick or small wasp sting; the pain is minimal and goes away almost instantly. Then, a week to 10 days later, red, fluid filled blisters that really itch. Fire Coral can be treated with either meat tenderizer or pineapple juice; both contain enzymes that break down the proteins of the toxin. Hydroid stings, on the other hand, are alkaloid -- you need an acid to break them down & neutralize the toxin. If you remember feeling that little wasp sting on a dive, a prompt washing of the area with white vinegar, lemon juice, or lime juice may be enough to prevent the breakout of the itchy blisters later. If not, I found that hydrocortisone cream was most effective in allaying the itch and helping the blisters to heal.

From the delayed reaction, this definitely sounds like a hydroid. You'll know it immediately if you ever touch fire coral - it will buns like hell, ank keep burning til its treated. I got hit by some hydroids on the back of my hand a couple of years ago. The initial reaction was like a pinprick or small wasp sting; the pain is minimal and goes away almost instantly. Then, a week to 10 days later, red, fluid filled blisters that really itch. Fire Coral can be treated with either meat tenderizer or pineapple juice; both contain enzymes that break down the proteins of the toxin. Hydroid stings, on the other hand, are alkaloid -- you need an acid to break them down & neutralize the toxin. If you remember feeling that little wasp sting on a dive, a prompt washing of the area with white vinegar, lemon juice, or lime juice may be enough to prevent the breakout of the itchy blisters later. If not, I found that hydrocortisone cream was most effective in allaying the itch and helping the blisters to heal.

I quoted a DAN article earlier. Here is another one. I will quote a section on fire coral here, with some parts highlighted.

A burning sensation, pain and itching may also accompany a rash if the coral is actually a hydroid, such as fire coral, which is not a true coral, but a stinging creature. ... reactions may be reduced by immediately cleansing the affected area.

If fire coral is the culprit, then dilute acetic acid solution, such as household white vinegar, is a reasonable topical decontaminant and should be used as a soak to reduce the pain. It's inexpensive and readily available. Immersion in hot water can reduce the symptoms. If hot water is not available then application of instant hot packs may be used. If heat sources are not available instant cold packs or ice packs may be used.

Treatment for the inflammatory response is symptomatic. Steroid creams are rarely helpful, and they can prolong a skin infection. If the inflammation is severe, systemic steroids in a moderate, tapering dose may be administered under the supervision of a trained medical provider. Oral antihistamines can sometimes, but not always, help reduce the itching or burning sensation.​

---------- Post added ----------

One more thing--I tried to find information on the use of pineapple for fire coral; the only place I could find it was in the case of a doctor responding to someone asking if it worked. The doctor said he had never heard of it and could not respond.

One more thing--I tried to find information on the use of pineapple for fire coral; the only place I could find it was in the case of a doctor responding to someone asking if it worked. The doctor said he had never heard of it and could not respond.

Pineapple contains bromelin, which is simlar to papain, which is supposed to be good for jellyfish strings and a few others.

However I have no idea if bromelin works as well as papain (or at all).

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom