fire coral 10 day delayed reaction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, sounds more like Hydroids than Fire Coral. OR possibly a different type of coral poisoning, you could have just scraped yourself on some "regular" coral, which will also cause welts & irritation, and if you are not careful and you use a medicine with iodine in it (not even sure if that stuff is used anymore nowdays), but coral will feed off of it and if you put it on a coral cut, it is possible for coral to start growing in there!
And if coral does grow there, please understand that it's considered politically incorrect to kill it. Therefore, your only option at that point is to dedicate yourself to becoming part of a reef. Sorry!

And if coral does grow there, please understand that it's considered politically incorrect to kill it. Therefore, your only option at that point is to dedicate yourself to becoming part of a reef. Sorry!

And then you have to worry about people trying to harvest you for jewelry. If it's black coral, God help you... Of course, there is a bright side to this. If it really was fire coral, then you could grow your own self defense system. Just think-- if a mugger threatens you, just grab him and sting the bejesus out of him! Who knows? Marvel comics might even dedicate a new superhero to you. "The Adventures of Hydrozoan Man!":losecool: It kind of has a ring to it, don't you think?

And then you have to worry about people trying to harvest you for jewelry. If it's black coral, God help you... Of course, there is a bright side to this. If it really was fire coral, then you could grow your own self defense system. Just think-- if a mugger threatens you, just grab him and sting the bejesus out of him! Who knows? Marvel comics might even dedicate a new superhero to you. "The Adventures of Hydrozoan Man!":losecool: It kind of has a ring to it, don't you think?
If it's black coral, it's illegal to import to the U.S. which makes the OP an illegal immigrant. I sure hope she doesn't live in Arizona or Arpaio will get her. But I like your idea of the stinging superhero. It's just like zapping someone with static electricity, only more painful and longer lasting. I'm considering deliberately crashing into the coral on this trip so I can become a superhero too, though it probably won't help my sex life any unless I meet the right type of woman.

They call it "Fire Coral and not "I touched it and it hurt 10 days later" for a reason. :) For those that have touched it (luckily I never have!!!!!) the reaction is brutally painful immediately after contact....and from the people i have seen touch it, it looks pretty excruciating......

So yeah, hydroid or something else. :)

Go see a dermatologist or something and get an experts opinion. 10 days is pretty delayed and could be something else entirely.

They call it "Fire Coral and not "I touched it and it hurt 10 days later" for a reason. :) For those that have touched it (luckily I never have!!!!!) the reaction is brutally painful immediately after contact....and from the people i have seen touch it, it looks pretty excruciating......

So yeah, hydroid or something else. :)

Go see a dermatologist or something and get an experts opinion. 10 days is pretty delayed and could be something else entirely.
Wuss, it's not that bad. Definitely not like what I've heard a lionfish or box jelly feels like. But yeah, it does ouch a bit, certainly more than a hydroid. I've never touched the soft coral version, but I was in Bonaire one time heading back to the dock from a shore dive at Capt. Don's when there was a bit of a swell that pushed me right into a dock piling. I put up my hand to keep my head from banging into it, and came up cursing their #&*%^ no-glove policy when my hand lit up from the "encrusting" version. A few squirts of vinegar and the pain diminished right away, but the itching and bumpy rash came later and stayed for quite a while. Forget about banning gloves, why not just ban fire coral?

Pretty sure it was fire coral, so I don't have to worry about being illegal (except that then I'd have to go back, which would be lovely). I was doing a shore dive, swimming too close to the fence and the current pushed me into it. A really stupid move considering I was warned about the fire coral on the fence. And yah, it definitely hurt right away but by that evening it was better until just a couple days ago. I tried zinging somebody on Saturday with a handshake but instead he just got slathered with anti-itch gel.

Pretty sure it was fire coral, so I don't have to worry about being illegal (except that then I'd have to go back, which would be lovely). I was doing a shore dive, swimming too close to the fence and the current pushed me into it. A really stupid move considering I was warned about the fire coral on the fence.
The stingray prison next to Blue Angel, maybe? A couple of years ago the current was running the "wrong way" and a couple of snorkelers got pushed up against that fence. They both had diamond shaped patterns of stings on their legs and backs.

Cortisone has been mentioned here earlier.

Dab a Q-Tip with Nasonex. Then apply it to the affected area.

Quick and simple.

If you want to carry "the cure" with you on your vacay, get an RX for this:

DSCF3030.jpg

This is the active ingrdient in Nasonex.

The stingray prison next to Blue Angel, maybe? A couple of years ago the current was running the "wrong way" and a couple of snorkelers got pushed up against that fence. They both had diamond shaped patterns of stings on their legs and backs.

yep, that would be it.

Hi Everyone, I got stung 10 days ago and it was a minor rash, not bothersome at all. Yesterday it flared up like crazy and is spreading. I got some hydrocortisone from my dermatologist and just started it today. Any other suggestions would be appreciated; should I see a doc? I'm a little nervous as this was my first dive.

Back
Top Bottom