Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't do many overnighters on boats?

I've been on 9 liveaboards so have done many overnighters on boats, Truth from Truth Aquatics being one of them. It definitely feels much more crowded and squished for space than any other liveaboard I have been on. Granted, this is the only dorm style one that I have been on, and for good reason. All of us did not fit in the dining area where the galley was to eat so we had to go outside (where it was cold..)

Individual preferences and that is okay.

I have done numerous trips on dive boats in Ventura and SB harbor. I recall that all of the dive boats had lighted exit signs in the bunk rooms. One boat has a three step side exit to a closed hatch, also well marked, but I never saw it used. The layout of these boats seemed safe to me, maybe cramped when changing into shorts from street clothes. but enough room to move around. Did people make the mistake of not looking for exits upon entry? Reminds me of most folks forgetting to listen to the safety brief on airliners. Last thing you would imagine is being onboard when the old boat sinks.
Condolences to the families of those lost.

Certainly not on those kind of boats. I prefer to spend a bit more and feel safe. And if I can‘t afford, I rather let go than put myself at risk. I know these kind of operations from Asia. but in the US??? Jee...

There is no "nicer/more expensive" option outside of chartering your own private boat for a scuba trip. They are considered the "premier" company to go out with.

While I share your view, my only thought is maybe that layout is only the normal here in California? I haven't been on live-aboards in other parts of the world. It does seem in poor taste to insult an entire area's dive boat culture however.

Yes, it is considered normal here for a liveaboard. I don't think he was trying to insult, though I can understand how it might come across that way. It is personal perception but also lack of knowledge that if you want to dive the Channel Islands by liveaboard, that is pretty much the "nice" way and the only way short of chartering your own private boat.

This is a typical layout for so cal boats and it’s also typical to board the evening before prior to any safety briefing that occurs in the morning

But I’ve been on liveaboards around the world. In the below deck rooms if there were a fire or flood it would also be difficult to evacuate in the dark, if possible at all. This would be more difficult due to the number of people. And I have never heard a safety briefing that I recall mention a bow hatch. But I always know they are there

There is no "nicer/more expensive" option outside of chartering your own private boat for a scuba trip. They are considered the "premier" company to go out with.

Yes, it is considered normal here for a liveaboard. I don't think he was trying to insult, though I can understand how it might come across that way. It is personal perception but also lack of knowledge that if you want to dive the Channel Islands by liveaboard, that is pretty much the "nice" way and the only way short of chartering your own private boat.

Right, I was thinking of all the boats I've been on between San Pedro and Oxnard and all of them are bunk style (Magician, Peace, Spectre, Pac Star, Horizon (they do have a few cabins but still has bunks), Explorer).

That many fatalities will probably get a full-blown NTSB investigation. Which means it will probably take one to two years to get the report. But they are pretty good at finding root causes and contributing factors.
xrGF5D.jpg

Sorry for reading intent in your post when there wasn't. More so on reddit than here but there has been a lot of uninformed comments being thrown around. So again sorry for reading more into your comment than was there.

So sad - Life is unpredictable, with the Conception having so many enjoyable, safe trips behind it - My son was on the Conception 3 years ago, filled to the last bunk with his Dive Club comrades, and he had a great experience.

Any of us is at risk every day for a rare catastrophic event out of our control, whenever we step outside our house, and then we are still not necessarily safe.

Liveaboards makes exciting open water diving available to every passionate diver - an experience any serious diver should have, and hopefully this catastrophic event will not result in that being curtailed. Making these boats 100% safe in case of a catastrophic explosion would be like asking to make an airplane resistant to an in-air explosion and crash - can't be done! May opportunities for improvements be identified and changes be made to make the experience safer after this event? - hopefully! - that is the beauty of Scuba Diving - you can always get better, and safer, but inherently it can't be 100% safe, however near that you can get.

With that said, my heart weeps for those affected by this tragedy, the loved ones and any other touched by the divers who did not make it, the 5 crew members who will have to live with this from now on, and the entire Dive community, well knowing that it could have been any of us or someone nearer to us. May the families and those other touched by this tragedy get the love and support that will be needed to carry them though this unimaginable trauma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom