First boat dive....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil

Reaction score
# of dives
ok.... so I called and made a reservation with a DO in Florida. They were very informative about what to exect being a newbie and all. (less than 10 dives)

They informed me that the DM stays on board and that the dive sights would be good for a beginner......and not to worry!

I thought that was strange that he would dump new divers in the water without someone to show them around....and keep an eye on them.

Then I asked if (for a fee) I could hire someone to dive with me and my wife, and was hesitantly told that it probably not necessary....

Should I be leary of this well respected DO? Or is this a normal
SOP ....

I've never heard of a DM staying on board. His purpose is to be in the water with you, supervising the dive. I wouldn't dive with this operator.

Our shop does not have underwater DMs for our dive boats (the DMs supervise from the boat, and give a detailed breifing of the divesite) but we will supply a guide if requested for an extra fee. If you are booking a dive with a "local shop" they keep the cost of their dives cheaper because of that...people are local, know the sites, and don't need or want a guide.

Here in Guam, there are "local" shops that mainly deal with regular divers that don't mind the "self serve" type of diving (ie. bring your own tanks, assemble your own gear, and plan your own dives). But, the dives are 1/3 the price of the tour shops. Our shop does have tour groups on some of the boats, and they have DMs that are the guides for their customers.

I don't understand why they won't supply a guide. You may want to ask for the phone number of some instructors or divemasters and contact them yourself. Or, look for another dive shop if you don't feel comfortable with them.

Either way, have fun!

Phil & Welshman,

Are you divers? Did you actually earn your cards? If the answer is yes, you don't need a baby sitter. If you need someone to lead you around by the hand, you need to take a real class and actually learn how to dive.

It is not part of a DM's job to lead you around and, in Florida, it is not common. In some parts of the world, operators have given up on having customers who actually know how to dive and provide an in water DM as a result. If you show up to many parts of the world, they assume you don't know how to dive and treat you accordingly. Personally, I resent such an attitude.

There are way too many nondivers out there with c-cards who've never learned how to dive.

Walter,

I think you are way off here. There are many dive ops in Florida that have in water dive masters to lead the dive. It has nothing to do with your ability to dive and they are not paid babysitters for the divers. All the charters I have been on in Jupiter and West Palm have in water DM's. They tow the flag so the boat knows where the group is and so the divers can enjoy there div looking around. I think that it is a good idea for divers new to a site to get a DM to show them around, and if not a DM, at least have someone that knows the site show them around the first time.

I think it depends on where you dive in Florida. I have been diving in the Jupiter area where they do provide a DM. I have also dove in the Keys and on the West coast of Florida in Venice and there was no DM. If you aren't comfortable diving

Stacey

Walter

1. I am a diver.

2. I did earn my cards.

3. I neither need nor want a babysitter.

However, if I dive a site for the first time I would like guidance on what to expect, what I should look out for, what I might see etc.

I would also resent it if the DM sought to lead me around by the hand. I take responsibility for my own safety and don't need to rely on anyone other than my buddy.

Regards

I have had both experiences in SE Florida, but mainly have not had a guide. If you go down a line to a wreck in clear water, it is kind of pointless. If you have never dealt with the flag float on a drift dive, it might be helpful to have someone more experienced do it. Here in Southern California, it would be unusual to have a guide, although some dive shop charters will provide one if you ask, particularly if you have not been diving locally before. The DM stays on board and will come get you if you need help. They have also been known to free anchors...

Walter,

Your comments were interesting, and reflect your dumure personality.....but since your a senior memeber of the message board and obviously a expirenced diver, I won't comment on your rude and abrupt response....

As stated in my question to the board, this will be my first boat dive, and no Walter, I don't expect anyone to hold any part of my body. My wife and I have less than 10 dives each and yes, Walter we are cerified with SSI. I was simply asking if it was a normal practice for DM to stay on board while first timers to boat diving were on board.

When I learned to fly, my instructor sent me out on my first solo after 12 hours of flying. After I proved myself to him, do you think he never got back in the plane? Of course not..... we practiced together for months after my initial solo flight.

Come on Walt....lighten up man......it was a simple question.....or maybe your mom should have called you Rambo !

Respectfully.........

Phil

I'm surprised to see Walter hasn't responded overnight. Perhaps we might get a small apology out of him for his tone. When I had just 10 dives under my belt I was like you. Diving with an experienced DM gave me the opportunity to watch how they dived and I learnt a lot.

Coincidentally I can relate to your flying analogy as I have a UK PPL and its just the same. The first thing I did after I passed the final flight test was to go up with my Instructor as I'd promised he could show me how to spin the plane - a Tomahawk PA38. I continued to learn from him for a long time afterwards and I still go up with him now for refreshers if I haven't flown in a while.

Best of luck in Florida.

Philip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom