First computer; Zoop, Oceanic Geo 2.0 or Veo 3.0?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sullivan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After reading recent gear reviews at Scuba Diving magazine and reading through hundreds of posts on this forum , I’ve narrowed my choices to 3 computers and need opinion on a couple of things. My wife and I are newly certified and plan to purchase 2 basic computers that are the same. I want to spend less than $500 each, nitrox capable, wrist mount and most importantly, easy to use. My ADD kicks in when confronted with very complex user manuals. My LDS has none of these in stock so I cannot see in person.

Based on this, choices are Suunto Zoop, Oceanic Geo 2.0 and Oceanic Veo 3.0.

-I’m thinking a large, easy to read face would be helpful ; the Zoop appears to be really big compared to the Geo and the Veo looks to be larger than the Geo. Is this correct? For those with the Geo, is the size too small ( seems like a lot of numbers crammed into a small face)

-The Veo and Geo are basically the same price but the Veo looks to have a larger face. What is preferred between these 2 models?

-The Zoop seems to be the easiest to use. For those who own the Geo 2.0 or Veo 3.0, how would you rate ease of use for someone getting their first computer.

I’m open to other models but the 3 models above look to be decent starter computers and the pricing is low enough that I can always upgrade at a later date if I want other features. Thanks

You can't go wrong with the Zoop. They are great value for money.

I second the Zoop,forget about the Geo 2 and you may want to think about the veo 2 over the 3.

If I compare the Veo 2 and the Veo 3, it appears that they are nearly identical in functions except that the Veo 2 does NOT handle Nitrox. If that's correct, it seems like the Veo 3 would be preferred as it gives me more flexibility should I ever want to use Nitrox.

I do like the look of the Veo 3 over the 3 different computers that made the short list. That said, I'd really like to hear if any Veo 3 owners found the computer easy to learn to use and use during day to day diving trips.

If I compare the Veo 2 and the Veo 3, it appears that they are nearly identical in functions except that the Veo 2 does NOT handle Nitrox. If that's correct, it seems like the Veo 3 would be preferred as it gives me more flexibility should I ever want to use Nitrox.

I do like the look of the Veo 3 over the 3 different computers that made the short list. That said, I'd really like to hear if any Veo 3 owners found the computer easy to learn to use and use during day to day diving trips.

The Veo 2 does handle Nitrox.

Both Oceanic Veo 2.0 and Veo 3.0 handle Nitrox
- and have Air/Nitox, Gauge, and Free Dive modes

The main difference is the Oceanic:

- Veo 2.0 = 2 buttons and handles Nitrox up to 50%

- Veo 3.0 = 3 buttons and handles Nitrox up to 100% oxygen
- you will almost never use above 50%​

Duplicate Post - Oops!
The Veo 2 does handle Nitrox.

Both Oceanic Veo 2.0 and Veo 3.0 handle Nitrox
- and have Air/Nitox, Gauge, and Free Dive modes

The main difference is the Oceanic:

- Veo 2.0 = 2 buttons and handles Nitrox up to 50%

- Veo 3.0 = 3 buttons and handles Nitrox up to 100% oxygen
- you will almost never use above 50%​

OK, thanks. I must have misread the Oceanic compare chart. Is it too simplistic to think that a model with 2 buttons is going to be easier than a computer with 3 buttons?

Personally I'm a fan of the Geo 2.0 - mainly because I bought it and really like it. I also like the smaller form factor of a dedicated wrist unit vs a "multi-location" puck (just personal preference though).

This pic ought to help with the geo vs veo size comparison:

veo2_geo2.jpg

Which I found in this veo vs geo thread from October. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oceanic/344077-geo-vs-veo.html

Ease of use: The Geo does take a bit to get familiar with but I wouldn't call it hard (a bit complicated perhaps but not hard) the free online training it comes with is very helpful. The Veo should have a very similar menu structure so I doubt it would be notably different.

Regarding the Veo 2.0 vs 3.0 buttons, it looks like the 2.0 has a "menu forward" and "enter" button where the 3.0 has forward backward and enter - similar to the Geo (though the Geo also has a dedicated backlight button). Having owned a veo 250 with 2 button interface, I can say it is very nice having the "backward" button. Is it worth the extra 50 - 60 dollars? only you can answer that. It also looks like you get 2 gas mixes with the 3.0 (which you also get with the Geo 2.0) so take that into consideration.

Heck I have the Veo 1.0 and love it! Very easy to read, one button and does Nitrox as well. And the price was only $150 from LP.

Skarn

CT Sean-Thanks for the opinion and those pictures, that helps a lot. I kinda like the idea of a large face as I never wear a watch and thus using the 2.0 as a watch is not a deciding factor. I'm going to read the Veo 3.0 user manual some more today but I'm strongly leaning to the 3.0.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom