First couple of solo dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never get that fear when solo diving.... unless the vis is poor and I snag myself on something.... or a fish creates a dust-up nearby.... or the current sweeps a black plastic bag around my head.... or I turn my head and there are branches in my face.... or a strange-shaped log appears in the distance.... or some diver grabs me by the shoulder.... or.....

:11:

Dave C

Diver Dennis:
I've seen Ogogpogo down by the Paddle Boat. Kelowna, right? :D
Hahaha yes kelowna area. Got to love the ogopogo, they are making a movie about him in may or something. Maybe i can be a diver for them, make bling so I can buy another xtx200 hmmm.

I have only been spooked once when solo diving. I was at our local lake. When I entered the water, no one else was at the surface. It was mid-week and very commonly, I would be the only diver in the area.

While underwater, I swam around one of the submerged boats and suddenly there was another diver!!!!!

Spooky!

Still happens to me but it's not as severe as it used to be. The absolute worst was diving in the Kelp forests around Monterrey Bay. I was convinced that I was going to come face to face with Jaws at any moment. I don't even know if GDGW's frequent the kelp forests but I knew they were off the Coast of California somewhere and that was good enough for me.

AL

we have really really big blue gropers down here...... and they are super friendly so usually you see a blur of something really big to the side of you and you look around and you dont see anything

then you turn your head to the other side and theres bluey, right in your face and youre very glad its just a groper

thats the freakiest part for me, when you know something is around but you dont know where exactly it is

I get spooked by Jack Crevalle schools. They have those ghosty faces and are so big yet silent. I figure the shark will get me before I have a chance to know about it. They don't come schooling around your bubbles when they are hungry or angry. I still hate being in low viz or dark. I don't solo at dusk, dawn, or dark - I'm a big chicken. If the viz is bad I'll probably get to a comfortable spot (some protection behind and below) and play there in a 10' radius while making myself believe I'm safe :D.

Mermaids... they scare the bejesus out of me :jump:

But, to be honest, if something about solo diving doesn't keep you on your toes, you will become complacent. A complacent solo diver is a danger to themself.

Feel good that you have a "respect" for something that is more ominous than you :)

Knight1989:
As I'm solo diving more and more and getting more comfertable with it, actually almost starting to like it more than diving with a buddy, I was just curious if I was the only one who on the first couple of solo dives was worried about some shark or something sneaking up on them from behind. :D

On my first solo dive I was a D/M sent out to set floats, lines and augers.

I did not think twice about it, I got it done, and then I swam back into shore underwater.

Only afterwards did I realize that I had done my first solo dive.

After a few more experiences like that, diving solo became perfectly natural for me, and always has been ever since.

What I always try to remember since then is to try to line up a competent buddy whenever I want to go diving. And if I cannot find one, then I dive solo instead.

And that is the procedure I recommend for everyone else. That is called risk minimization.

for me i find i stop and think to make decisions more while solo than with a buddy.

with a buddy... i happily follow, knowing we're heading in about the right direction, knowing a little bit longer here or there is ok with our profile and its ok to come back with a little less air than usual because of the dive we are doing or where we are.

while solo i actually stop and ask myself do i want to go further out around the point or do i want to venture further into deeper area or do i want to stick my head into that ledge/cave to have a look..... just makes me super aware of the what if's senarios

cheers

almitywife:
for me i find i stop and think to make decisions more while solo than with a buddy.

with a buddy... i happily follow, knowing we're heading in about the right direction, knowing a little bit longer here or there is ok with our profile and its ok to come back with a little less air than usual because of the dive we are doing or where we are.

while solo i actually stop and ask myself do i want to go further out around the point or do i want to venture further into deeper area or do i want to stick my head into that ledge/cave to have a look..... just makes me super aware of the what if's senarios

cheers

I hope that your regular buddy(ies) give you a chance to lead on buddy dives as well. It does not speak well of them if they do not.

I have not noticed much difference between a solo dive or a buddy dive as far as planning and decisions go, other than solo dives need to be more conservative in terms of depth or conditions. The rule is still to plan your dive and dive your plan. That rule is almost as much of a legacy as not holding your breath on scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom