First Coz trip - need help planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UPDATE:

I've booked morning dives with Aldora. I'm hoping there is enough interest to do a twighlight dive one or two of the nights I'll be there. If not, I guess I'll get a shore dive in by Aldora villas (anyone ever dive there?) or one of the other spots on the island.

Will do a bit more research on the hotels and book a room. Possibllly, Hotel Cozumel, Casa del Mar or Villa Blanca

Thanks for all the help!

UPDATE:

I've booked morning dives with Aldora. I'm hoping there is enough interest to do a twighlight dive one or two of the nights I'll be there. If not, I guess I'll get a shore dive in by Aldora villas (anyone ever dive there?) or one of the other spots on the island.

Will do a bit more research on the hotels and book a room. Possibllly, Hotel Cozumel, Casa del Mar or Villa Blanca

Thanks for all the help!

I spent hours in the water outside the villa, lots fish, nothing much else though - make sure you use a flag as there’s boat traffic.

I’d really not be too worried about the shore diving unless it’s something really that you wanna do.

Reputable dive ops will insist on valid dive insurance coverage, I just got back 2 months ago from Costa Rica live aboard Okeanos Aggressor, they won't even allow anyone to sign up for a trip without providing DAN card # to them first, and they also will refuse boarding to those who forget to bring their DAN card with them for visual inspection, so having valid, widely recognized dive insurance is generally mandatory with reputable dive ops.
Just not at all true in Coz. Nobody is asking for proof of DAN coverage. In fact, while I'm sure all dive ops don't want you to bend yourself, they have no financial exposure if you do. While I carry DAN insurance, I've never been asked about it and I've been out with "reputable dive ops" all over the world.

I’ve spent a lot of time in the water at Villa Aldora in the afternoon and at night. It’s 10 or 15 feet deep, along ironshore, no real coral, but there are sponges growing on things. There is a lot of concrete rubble from past hurricanes, which actually make good habitat for all kinds of creatures. There are lots of juvenile fish and other critters, like morays, crabs, yellow stingrays, urchins, and octopus. I’ve even seen a mantis shrimp. There used to be a resident seahorse in the area, but it may not be there any more. Is it the best dive on the island? No. Is it a good way to get wet easily? Yes. I enjoy it a lot. Rooms at the Villa start at $95 a night and it’s a great place to stay.

Costa Rica live aboard Okeanos Aggressor, they won't even allow anyone to sign up for a trip without providing DAN card # to them first, and they also will refuse boarding to those who forget to bring their DAN card with them for visual inspection
Just not at all true in Coz. Nobody is asking for proof of DAN coverage. In fact, while I'm sure all dive ops don't want you to bend yourself, they have no financial exposure if you do. While I carry DAN insurance, I've never been asked about it and I've been out with "reputable dive ops" all over the world.
Yeah, it's different for a live aboard that is stuck with you if you get hurt. Then they have transport you to a medical facility that will accept you generally, an inconvenience or more for guests, crew, and boat owner. In Cozumel, an injured diver is off loaded at a nearby dock to an ambulance to take you to a local facility.

Yeah, it's different for a live aboard that is stuck with you if you get hurt. Then they have transport you to a medical facility that will accept you generally, an inconvenience or more for guests, crew, and boat owner. In Cozumel, an injured diver is off loaded at a nearby dock to an ambulance to take you to a local facility.

I don't think DAN insurance prevents you from physically getting hurt - you get hurt, insurance or not, some action has to happen.

I don't think DAN insurance prevents you from physically getting hurt - you get hurt, insurance or not, some action has to happen.
Aside from the Duh factor, having DAN dive insurance can greatly increase possible resources if a diver is injured. The live aboard would want those resources available to any injured onboard. But all of this is off subject.

any thought about diving with Dive Paradise? they have a location right by all three hotels. I figured it would make shore diving easy too...

been years but I've dived with them on their smaller boats. The upgrade cost wasn't much and the service was fine. But you don't have to boat dive with them in order to rent tanks from them for shore dives. They will provide tank and weights for $6usd.

In addition to Villa Blance, Casa del Mar and Hotel Cozumel, other hotels with easy shore diving are Blue Angel and Hotel Barracuda.

I'm a big fan of shore diving, not just to save money but for the flexibility in schedule and ability to do as I please taking video without having to stay with a group. Most of those dismissing it haven't really tried it. imo, Casa del Mar has the best shore dive site, out about 100 yards at the mini-wall. Blue Angel probably has the most convenient setup. Hotel Coz also has a nice setup but the least interesting shore dive. Aldora wall is an easy setup and a fun shore dive but not really an option unless you're staying there.

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the help!

This is a good start. Don't be shy on the boat about asking if others might want to do a twilight, night or twilight/night.

You probably know this already but Aldora uses high pressure 120cf steel tanks. You'll get longer dives, and they take a longer SI. I don't know when you'll get back from the morning dives, probably 1pmish? Anyhow, having a shore dive plan works nicely. You can eat, chill for awhile, and jump in for a shore dive. If you only do mornings and one shore dive a day, that's still lots of diving.

If you stay at one of the hotels you've mentioned, shore diving at Aldora Villas won't be too convenient as the Villas are north of downtown, and you'll be staying south. Maybe you've already got a plan with them to navigate this? If not, you'll need a taxi. I'm assuming the Villas are already booked. If not, staying there and diving with Aldora would be *really* convenient.

Big plus one on the DAN dive insurance others are talking about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom