First Coz trip - need help planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

been years but I've dived with them on their smaller boats. The upgrade cost wasn't much and the service was fine. But you don't have to boat dive with them in order to rent tanks from them for shore dives. They will provide tank and weights for $6usd.

In addition to Villa Blance, Casa del Mar and Hotel Cozumel, other hotels with easy shore diving are Blue Angel and Hotel Barracuda.

I'm a big fan of shore diving, not just to save money but for the flexibility in schedule and ability to do as I please taking video without having to stay with a group. Most of those dismissing it haven't really tried it. imo, Casa del Mar has the best shore dive site, out about 100 yards at the mini-wall. Blue Angel probably has the most convenient setup. Hotel Coz also has a nice setup but the least interesting shore dive. Aldora wall is an easy setup and a fun shore dive but not really an option unless you're staying there.

Knowing that the Barracuda has easy shore diving makes for a good option if you want to save some money ($80 night?), and be so close to all those downtown restaurants. On a short trip, one could stay at CDM and eat around there and it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm not even going and I have most of my meals picked out already. Plus as a solo traveler, 90 pesos one way from CDM basically doubles the cost of a meal in town. It would be quieter, and I like quiet.

This is for my preferences, but if I was doing this short trip, I'd probably stay at the Barracuda. I'd see some different shore diving. All that food so close. I'm not a party type, but it would have a little more daylife/nightlife for people watching. On my last trip, two of my friends stayed there and they didn't like the type of music or the volume, but from their description, I wouldn't mind it for a few days. I also like dance music. heh. I could live without a phone in my room for a few days. Same with the more spartan rooms.

To the OP, fwiw, the Barracuda is more of a hotel, CDM is a small, sort of quaint resort, Villa Blanca is a resort and Hotel Cozumel is a big resort with what may still be the biggest pool on the island.

Now that I am a bit clearer on what you are looking for in this trip, I am surprised that neither me nor anyone else has recommended Scuba Club Cozumel? Not my personal cup of tea, but I have numerous friends that are regulars and it definitely might fit what you are looking for. Worth a consideration-- Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort - Cozumel, Mexico

Just not at all true in Coz. Nobody is asking for proof of DAN coverage. In fact, while I'm sure all dive ops don't want you to bend yourself, they have no financial exposure if you do. While I carry DAN insurance, I've never been asked about it and I've been out with "reputable dive ops" all over the world.

All the US based dive shops who ran my previous Coz dive trips required DAN insurance proof, even if the 'locals' didn't. I'm mainly a live aboard type diver, have done many LOBs, and ALL have required DAN insurance proof.

All the US based dive shops who ran my previous Coz dive trips required DAN insurance proof, even if the 'locals' didn't. I'm mainly a live aboard type diver, have done many LOBs, and ALL have required DAN insurance proof.
That's all well and good, and we heard you the first time, but that has no relevance to Coz or this thread in general.

All good advise. Much appreciated.

here is what I'm thinking:

Hotel Cozumel - easy enough to walk into town when I want & has a easy shore dive

However, from my research, it seems Villa Blanca & Casa del Mar are better places to stay...

What do you guys think? (By the way, I'm a 25 year old guy that doesn't mind loud places and partying.... I will happily join)

I've stayed at Hotel Coz 3x and Villa Blanca 3x.

I'd rate Hotel Coz as better but it's close. If you stay at VB get the Superior room. It's been a few years but VB didn't have room safes, they were in the lobby.

Never stayed at CDM, haven't heard good things. They tack on resort fees and have poor wifi.

Casa del Mar as far as I know is on the "cheap" side, never looked at Villa Blanca, apart passing along the road (you need to walk a lot more for San Miguel, neither it's near to the south part (port), Hotel Cozumel should be the best of the three even if you consider the accommodation only (maybe not price wise, but still pretty cheap for what I used to pay around).

Casa del Mar has never struck me as "cheap" especially when you add in the tack-on resort fees and room wifi fees. Looking at orbitz for the days mentioned, Villa Blanca $64, Barracuda $69, Casa del Mar $92. Didn't see Hotel Cozumel so maybe no vacancy.

I've stayed at the three he mentioned over the years. Results will vary with booking sites, but I use Hotels.com for their price guarantees and reward points - and I have had them make good when I found better prices for my dates on other sites after I booked.

If you stay at VB get the Superior room.
Villablanca was only charging $7/night more for Superior the time I stayed, and it was nice having that much space, a fridge, etc - but for his trip it's showing a $30/night upgrade, excessive. There is a chance you can book the cheaper now, ask how much the upgrade will be on arrival, and maybe do better?

Casa del Mar has never struck me as "cheap" especially when you add in the tack-on resort fees and room wifi fees. Looking at orbitz for the days mentioned, Villa Blanca $64, Barracuda $69, Casa del Mar $92. Didn't see Hotel Cozumel so maybe no vacancy.
Hotels.com shows Villablanca @ $61/night, breakfast to order is $7/day. Wifi is free.

Barracuda @ $69/night, Continental breakfast is 78MXN/day ($4USD) if desired. Free Wifi in lobby.

Casa del Mar @ $77/night plus $20 Resort fees we all hate, and they include an extra $5/night hidden in "taxes & fees," so make that $87/night. Breakfast is an extra $10/day, Wifi $5/day. This manager really plays the nickle & dime add-on game! Disgusting.

Hotel Cozumel is asking $124/day including breakfast. Not worth it.

"Taxes & fees" is an area where a hotel can sneak in extra charges they hope you don't notice, so got to watch that game. Should be about 19% of subtotal on room costs, but Barracuda only chages 13%, while Casa del Mar is 30% including resort fees.

As far as which is more comfortable, that'll vary, and you'll see complaints on all. Barracuda is under a mile from the plaza, Hotel Cozumel a little over a mile, Villablanca is 2 miles, and Casa del Mar is 2½ miles. You're young enough and used to walking around cities a lot that 4 or 5 miles roundtrip may not sound like much, but that's a personal call.

the reason I want shore diving is in the scenario where I am unable to get on an afternoon or twighlight dive, as well as in order to get a nice dive in Friday afternoon (landing 1pm).

I doubt you'll have time for an afternoon dive on Friday if you are landing at the airport at 1PM. Between getting off the plane, making it through Mexican Customs & getting through bag screening, then getting on a van, getting dropped off and checking in to your accommodations with bags dropped in your room... I bet it will take and least 1 1/2 hours and closer to 2 hours. That will eliminate any chance of making a regular afternoon boat dive because you then have to get to the dive shop or boat but that is a good thing I'll comment on later. Perhaps a shallow twilight or night boat dive could work as you mentioned and if you can line it up ahead of time <or> a shore dive depending on where you are staying and if you can get a tank.

All timing issues aside, one member here has had extensive conversations with one of the doctors on the island who specializes in treating decompression sickness and he's posted the doctor's comments. The one thing the Dr. says over and over again is the majority of people who take a hit it happens the day they arrived or the 1st day after arrival and it is usually an undeserved hit. They have been stressed from the travel, usually lack regular sleep (depending on where they coming from), are dehydrated from flying, haven't eaten well, etc. etc. and the majority of the cases are considered "undeserved" as the diver was well withing safe diving limits per their profiles and dive computer.

Just something to think about as you don't want to spend all this $ on a short dive vaca to spend even more $ taking rids in the chamber in a worst case scenario. If ya have to dive the day of arrival, stick to a VERY shallow dive like a shore dive that you mentioned or a night dive that is usually held on Paradise reef in 25'-30' of water and certainly don't push it to the limit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom