First Coz trip - need help planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve never seen anyone use nitrox only on the second tank. Aldora generally separates nitrox and air divers. Profiles and dive times vary too much if some are using air and others nitrox. The only exception I have seen is for afternoon single-tank dives and night dives, when you have more of a mix of divers. The normal pattern is 32 on the first dive and 36 on the second. I’ll dive 36 if I do an afternoon boat dive or a night boat dive. The tanks we use for shore diving at the Villa are air. That’s the only time I use air.

for those that have used Aldora in the past - do you use nitrox on both tanks or only the second tank?

Diving with Aldora - women typically are given HP100's while men are given HP120's - but, they'll give you whatever you want within those two choices - they have HP80's at the Villa.

Nitrox - Standard is EAN32 for the first dive and EAN36 for the second. Again, I'm sure they'll give you what you ask for.

Denise keeps track of what gas you prefer and whatever boat you're on, that's the gas you'll have.

At least one of the DM's dives EAN36 both tanks using 100's.

Unless the OP in this thread is willing to stay south of the marina, Tres Pelicanos is a fail with regard to the requests in the original post. Cheerleading a stay at Casa Mexicana and diving with Tres Pelicanos is a complete and utter fail and offering that as a solution is, imo, a disservice to the OP. There's no convenient shore diving at Casa Mexicana and diving with TP and staying anywhere north of the marina requires a car ride to the marina.

Lots of people stay at Casa Mexicana and dive with Tres Pelicanos. I haven't, myself, but they post in here pretty often. They seem pretty happy to me.

I don't think DAN insurance prevents you from physically getting hurt - you get hurt, insurance or not, some action has to happen.
Well, of course not, but the action taken is very different for a liveaboard that may be many hours from help, while a Cozumel dive boat is always close to shore.

Lots of people stay at Casa Mexicana and dive with Tres Pelicanos. I haven't, myself, but they post in here pretty often. They seem pretty happy to me.

Yeah, I've seen the posts. I'm sure it's a great dive op and I've stayed at Casa Mexicana. I have no problems with it, or that combination.

My post is in regard the original poster's request. The poster wanted a hotel with shore diving and didn't want to go to the marina via land transport. In those regards, the CM/TP combo doesn't meet either of those requirements.

Was his issue literally 'getting into a car' for some reason, or a desire to avoid paying for taxis or car rental? If the dive shop held his gear on the boat so he didn't have to haul it back and forth daily, and gave him a 'no added charge' vehicle ride to/from the marina/boat each dive day, would that still be an issue?

Richard.

Well, of course not, but the action taken is very different for a liveaboard that may be many hours from help, while a Cozumel dive boat is always close to shore.
Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. I meant I hadn’t seen it on an Aldora boat.

[
I have done it plenty of times.
Well, of course I have also. However, Divingjd was referring to the previous question..."those of you who have dived with Aldora…". When I dived with them a few years ago, I asked for air on the first dive and nitrox on the second, but once there, was told I could dive both dives on air or nitrox but that I could not do one air and one nitrox. Since they require everyone to ascend together, I understand the rationale of requiring everyone to use the same gases. Oops. I see that Divingjd clarified while I was typing.

Was his issue literally 'getting into a car' for some reason, or a desire to avoid paying for taxis or car rental? If the dive shop held his gear on the boat so he didn't have to haul it back and forth daily, and gave him a 'no added charge' vehicle ride to/from the marina/boat each dive day, would that still be an issue?

Richard.

Whatever the reason, the poster said they wanted to avoid it. There are solutions that fit that requirement.

It's a guess, but I suspect the poster read about TP, knew about their transport procedures and was hopeful for a suggestion that allowed diving with TP without land transport *and* easy shore diving from their accommodations. Casa Mexicana doesn't fit that bill.

As they mentioned TP in the original post, I offered a solution that minimized the car ride and provided easy shore diving.

Back
Top Bottom