First Coz trip Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the report. Just a suggestion, but you might want to consider NOT staying at an all-inclusive next time. Sure, all-inclusive resorts have their place, and their benefits. But you also miss out on the local culture, and, ESPECIALLY in Cozumel, you miss out on the local dining scene, which is really terrific. I very much understand going all-inclusive in a place like Jamaica, where safety concerns make one a little leery of leaving the fenced in compound, or in places like Roatan, where outside dining choices are very limited. And I understand why families with children might go AI, so they know the kids are taken care of and they don't have to constantly hand out cash to the kids so they can eat. But for a single, a couple, or even a group of adults, AI really isn't necessary or (IMHO) beneficial in Cozumel UNLESS (1) You just don't care about the quality and variety of food, or (2) you intend to make a killing by drinking half your body weight each day at the AI open bars. Cozumel is a very friendly, very safe Island, with a wealth of great dining options, in every price range, from the el cheapo taquerias back on 30 and 60 where you can eat your fill of very tasty tacos and wash it down with beer for just a few bucks, and the little family owned loncherias where you can get a huge lunch for less than $6, all the way to the higher-end fine dining places like La Cocay, Kinta and Kondesa. I think if you took a poll of the long-time Cozaholics, you'd find that the large majority avoid AI resorts on Cozumel.

I agree on the all-inclusive point. I used to do the all-inclusive but unless you like to do a large amount of eating and drinking while on your dive vacation, I just don't see the value. If you break down the per day cost of an all-inclusive you can get a much better quality and variety of food at the local restaurants for the same money.

Wayne, it isn't all about "doing a large amount of eating and drinking".......some people just like to relax and do nothing while on vacation vs having to be out and about 24/7 for every meal etc. Plus after 20 years of coming here, we have been there and done about all of that we care to lol......or if you have a spouse that is a k-3rd grade special education teacher who specializes in Autistic Children that wants to go on vacation and literally DO NOTHING other than lay in the sun. Doesn't want to have to pay for every drink, snack and meal. Doesn't want to have to convert dollars to pesos and back again. Doesn't want to mess with walking to eat or taking a taxi to get to some burrito vendor on a corner etc etc.

Sheesh.........the non-AI crowd is about as bad as the anti split finners lol......... :)

I think it just comes down to there are 2 types of vacationers........the DONOTHINGS, and the DOALOTS. :)

If you like to do a lot, non AI is for you.

If you like to do literally nothing, AI all day.

I get to dive, so my wife gets AI/donothing. Kept me married for 21 years hahahahahaha! :)

See you in Coz Waynel, I hope we get a day or 2 of dives together!

Wayne, Todd and Justin - see you all soon!!!

I think it just comes down to there are 2 types of vacationers........the DONOTHINGS, and the DOALOTS.

One gray area; the 'do nothing but dive' vacationer. My last trip to Bonaire a few years back was my 8th. So I'd already rode through the park taking photos, ditto the donkey sanctuary, ate out at a variety of restaurants... Aside from 28 dives that week, 25 of them solo, I ate breakfast buffet (Buddy Dive Resort), PB&J sandwiches & canned fruit cocktail if memory serves for lunch, and every supper at Buddy's restaurant. Sort of a DIY A.I. experience.

I suspect some dive heavily, and do little else. Places like Bonaire, CocoView Resort, Grand Cayman sites with convenient shore dive access, St. Croix...they lend themselves to that. After 4 or 5 dives in a day, of whatever mix of boat &/or shore, eating onsite might look good. Cozumel's got some shore sites, and I hear you can cram 4 dives into a day...

Richard.

We used to do the non-AI thing...for years we went to Cozumel, rented a car for the week, and went into town for lunch and dinner. It takes a lot of time out of your day...but if you are only doing 2 dives per day it is okay.
Now we won't stay anywhere but ScubaClubCozumel....nothing like having food on the table 5 minutes after you walk in the restaurant door. And a waiter who knows what you drink, so brings it to your table as soon as you walk in the door. When I dive I get hungry! Waiting for service, waiting for food, waiting for bill.... isn't for me anymore. I like getting up from the table and walking out the door when I am done eating. Then taking just a few steps to my dive locker and gearing up for a shore dive, or putting it on the dive boat right there.
Just my life and my 2 cents.

robin
back to diving, and back to SCC in the fall hopefully!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom