First day of lobster season, first diver in critical condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if you can edit the subject heading here but IMHO, it's a bit misleading. Perhaps "Diver Bitten By Shark on First Day of Lobster Season" would be more accurate. But by being no-specific, the headline sort of imp[lies (at least this was my impression) that a diver in critical condition on the first day of lobster season is due to some diving error (OOA, whatever) rather than a shark bite that is most likely absolutely unconnected the lobster hunting.

- Ken

I'm not sure I'm following your thinking--according to Maxbottomtime's post the kid was "in the water for the start of lobster season" so I interpreted that as he was diving for lobster. The article says "A teenager was attacked at Beacon's Beach while participating in the opening day of lobster season" so how is the shark bit unconnected to lobster hunting?

I'm not sure I'm following your thinking--according to Maxbottomtime's post the kid was "in the water for the start of lobster season" so I interpreted that as he was diving for lobster. The article says "A teenager was attacked at Beacon's Beach while participating in the opening day of lobster season" so how is the shark bit unconnected to lobster hunting?
FYI, during opening week of lobster season, we usally get a few fatalities in SoCal. These are ususally due to diver eroor, mainy times something as simple and avoidable as running out of air. On top of that, I'm the consultant to the LA County Coroner for scuba fatalities so I may be hyper-sensitive to these things (plus I have a background in journalism).

Not to drag this out, but my issue is with the headline, not the body of the article. The headline makes no mention of the shark. It simply says "First Day of Lobster Season, First Dive in Critical Condition." It's easy to assume from the headline that this was diver error of some sort of a medical condition. It's only when you get into the bodyt of things that you learn it was a shark bite.

That all being said, I personally doubt the shark was going after the lobster. Plus I don't think we know if the kid even HAD any lobsters on him at the time of the bite. I don't think there's any more connection shark/lobster than there would be for shark/color-of-fins or shark/left-or-right-handed. As Bob mentioned in a previous post, most likely the shark thought the kid was a seal, or perhaps even a wounded fish. (Kicking on the surface sends out the same vibrations in the water, and that's what the shark hones in on.)

- Ken

I posted the headline because I believe the kid was bitten because he and his group plus kayakers nearby were in the water at 6:00 due to the opening of lobster season. There may not have been so much kicking going on at the surface had it not been for the opening. Of course, anyone can be bitten any time, but there is a feeding frenzy that goes on, and I'm not talking about the shark. Divers rush to get in the water and grab that first bug whether the season opens on Wednesday at midnight or Saturday morning. It's a mania that attracts many to the water, in spite of the fact that there will still be lobsters between now and March, 2019.

In one of the articles I've read the guy who brought him out on the paddle ski said the boy's collar bone was exposed, this had me thinking it was a frontal attack and not from below as is the case with great whites. I have no idea what the area look like but seems it might have been a smaller species of shark or the boy saw the attack coming and tried to turn thus the bite to the shoulder area, presuming the information is correct.

...a smaller species of shark...
A witness in one of the kayaks is quoted as identifying an 11-foot great white.

In one of the articles I've read the guy who brought him out on the paddle ski said the boy's collar bone was exposed, this had me thinking it was a frontal attack and not from below as is the case with great whites. I have no idea what the area look like but seems it might have been a smaller species of shark or the boy saw the attack coming and tried to turn thus the bite to the shoulder area, presuming the information is correct.

A witness in one of the kayaks is quoted as identifying an 11-foot great white.

A release from the hospital said that the boy is in "stable but serious" condition after extensive surgery - which is better than "critical" so that is hopeful. I did read he sustained injuries to his ear as well as to his his chest and shoulder. The article below gives some details of the attack and the severity of the injury.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/sd-me-shark-attack-20180929-story.html

“His whole clavicle was ripped open,” Hammel said. “You could see the ball and socket joint.”

Divers rush to get in the water and grab that first bug whether the season opens on Wednesday at midnight or Saturday morning. It's a mania that attracts many to the water, in spite of the fact that there will still be lobsters between now and March, 2019.

Same thing happens on opening of ab season, back when there was one, which is why I avoided it like the plague.

In one of the articles I've read the guy who brought him out on the paddle ski said the boy's collar bone was exposed, this had me thinking it was a frontal attack and not from below

Where the victim is bitten is a matter of chance when attacked from below, it's a matter of reletative position when the attack happens.

Bob

The boy's name is Keane Hayes and he is expected to make a full recovery. A GoFundMe account has been created to help the family pay his medical and rehab expenses, and people are stealing all the "beach closed, shark sighted!" signs.

"The boy was diving in about 9 feet (2.7 meters) of water approximately 150 yards (137 meters) offshore when he was attacked. Witnesses estimated the shark was about 11 feet (3 meters) long, but the type was not known."

The links below have more information:

https://fox5sandiego.com/2018/09/30/gofundme-set-up-for-north-county-shark-attack-victim/

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/shark-attack-boy-13-southern-california-recover-hospital/

https://www.gofundme.com/keane-hayes-shark-attack-victim

I have been diving probably twice as long as all of you who are posting. So far I have lost three friends from GWS and 2 close calls and one bitten by a tropical shark and survived

The current shark is question was not a horn shark or a blue shark, or not even possibly a Mako - most likely-a GWS -- I have no idea how to estimate weight or length underwater - but will assume the witness had a method .

If you dive in the ocean remember " Sharks are an occupational hazard of diving in the ocean " sooner or later if you dive long enough and often enough you will encounter a shark. some will be lucky - as I have been -- some not so lucky as three of my dive buddies were .

If you dive in the mid west like @KathyV watch out for "blue gills" -- But we do appreciate you concern and posting

If you live in South Africa like @jfe - Wow! According to R. Perry Gilbert's monumental book "Sharks and survival " the shark bite capital of the world is Durban South Africa . No thanks ! I will stick to Laguna Beach

Dr. Samuel Miller, 111
Retired 25 years
LA Co UW instructor
NAUI Instructor # A 27 (just for you Ken!)
PADI #241
etc etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom