First dive after completing course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nettyadam

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi
My partner and I have just completed The Ow Course. Everything seems pretty staight forward and i had no issues in training. I want to go Diving with My partner to the same places we dived during training to practice the skills over again and just to go for a short dive and appreciate the diving without the stress of being 'tested'.
The depth is about 9m and in an estuary close to shore. I wanted to go by ourselves to to go at our own slow pace revising the skills we have just learnt before heading of in a group so can gain some more confidence .. My question is ..am i being foolhardy going out with just the two of us for our first dive after the course?

No it's not foolhardy. Your training is specifically to be able to do what you're planning to do-go dive with a dive buddy. Plan your dive, dive your plan and you'll be fine. Having a more experienced person along would be beneficial but it's not necessary. Stay within your training and your comfort limits and you're supposed to be completely capable of doing this.

For what it's worth my first couple "practice dives" were in a pool, by myself (with a surface spotter). Not the most highly recommended practice and certainly worse than what you're considering. Take your buddy and go diving!

..am i being foolhardy going out with just the two of us for our first dive after the course?

I wouldn't say 'foolhardy' no, but I honestly wouldn't advise this.

You completed 4 OW dives at this site? How familiar are you with the changing conditions above and below the surface?

What sort of rescue procedures were discussed during your OW course? Even diving within your training / abilities, how comfortable are you with self rescue / buddy rescue skills?

If a group is available to join, why not contact others and practice your skills in the company of more experienced divers?

Just my two cents ... I know others are going to encourage you in other ways ...

Whatever you decide, stay safe and have fun!

I would say go for it, as long as the conditions are the same as they were when you dove previously.

I intend on doing a similar thing in a few weeks

Stay close to your buddy! And watch your gauges!

Not at all. You will diving in similar conditions, are beign cautious as to your profile, and are already thinking the way a safe diver should. Use equipment that is in good condition, dive within your limits, and have a great time!! I think your plan is perfect, and it is what diving is all about!
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
What I did for my first post-cert dives was to 'tag along' with the next OW checkout class for "my" dive shop (off Destin, FL). There were enough spouses and SOs of trainees along for me to buddy with, and we did our own dive near, but not too near, the OW class. That way I had a support system nearby if needed, and got to check out the new gear I'd bought from the shop while having them nearby if needed for any gear or dive problems. There weren't any, but nice having them around. They didn't mind. So maybe ask your shop about trying this approach.

This is exactly what your OW class was supposed to prepare you to do -- dive in conditions similar to the ones where you were trained. It might be worth asking somebody, though, if there are any things you need to know about the site, because the timing of your OW dives may have been specifically chosen by your instructor. (In Puget Sound, there are sites which are current-sensitive, and have to be dived at slack -- we do OW checkout dives in those places, but we pick our times. Students might not be aware that the site is not always benign.)

Anyway, with that one caveat, I think your plan is perfect. Go someplace you know, which is a safe site (training sites usually are) and do a conservative dive, and have fun with it. That's how you learn!

Go For it! You won't be nearly as nervous as you think. Once you get your gear on, plan a conservative dive, you'll be anxious to get into the water. When me and my son completed our first post-cert dive, we came to the surface and said, "wow, we did it! Our first dive is behind us!" And, for much of the dive, we held hands. Do whatever it takes to make you comfortable.

Have fun!

While it makes sense to start off going with a more experienced diver(s), you should be OK if you stay conservative. At my 1st post-cert. dive (Vortex Spring, FL), my biggest concern was getting all the gear together in the right order so as not to look like a dork.

Sounds like a good plan and very similar to my first post cert dive. I feel it is good to do a really simple dive by yourself to get some confidence. I had an instructor that did a little more hand holding than I would do if I was teaching, so it was good to go do that first dive to prove to myself I could.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom