First Dive w/o a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You took a breath of compressed air at 60 feet and you weren't even certified?

I gotta report this

slpvo7.gif

Ya, crazy eh? I was young, dumb, bulletproof (literally), and it was some of the best diving in the world. I lived, I learned, I got certified. And I'm happy.

Ya, crazy eh? I was young, dumb, bulletproof (literally), and it was some of the best diving in the world. I lived, I learned, I got certified. And I'm happy.

There's another thread going on about a guy who's trying to get his wife into diving.

I wonder if he should try that little trick?

"Here honey, we're down at 60 feet and you look like you could use a breath of fresh air. Here, have my octopus, and welcome to the world of Scuba!"

My brother and I dove together as teenagers with no supervision before we were certified.

Ooops.

:D

My brother and I dove together as teenagers with no supervision before we were certified.
Ooops.

:D

Thanks for your post and your honesty about the unauthorized diving without a certification.

I can report both of you using the same form.

Consider your diving privileges suspended until I tell you it's ok to return to the water.

There's another thread going on about a guy who's trying to get his wife into diving.

I wonder if he should try that little trick?

"Here honey, we're down at 60 feet and you look like you could use a breath of fresh air. Here, have my octopus, and welcome to the world of Scuba!"

I think you misunderstood my post. We actually went diving. We spent the boring portion of several missions talking about scuba diving, we'll call this "class", and then we went to some dive shops in Oman and "browsed" the merchandise. But we were really having more scuba "class" on how BCs worked along with the various other components.

But when it came time for the dive, we went to the dive shop, rented gear, went out on the boat, and plunked off the side for a swim. My first tank of air lasted about 20 minutes!

So it was a dive, not just me going to the bottom and sharing a hose. But it was still, in my fatherly hindsight, dumb and irresponsible... and one of the greatest adventures of my life. And flame away. I don't care. We were at war and it tends to change how you look at things when simple pleasures suddenly present themselves.

Thanks for your post and your honesty about the unauthorized diving without a certification.

I can report both of you using the same form.

Consider your diving privileges suspended until I tell you it's ok to return to the water.

Sooo, I'm DNID??? (Sorry, inside joke for doctors and pilots.)

I think you misunderstood my post.

We actually went diving. But when it came time for the dive, we went to the dive shop, rented gear, went out on the boat, and plunked off the side for a swim. My first tank of air lasted about 20 minutes!

So it was a dive, not just me going to the bottom and sharing a hose

You DID say your first breath ever off a regulator was at 60 feet.

Psst, don't tell anyone here, cuz I'll get flamed deluxe, but my first breath ever off of a regulator was in 60' of water in the Gulf of Oman.

You DID say your first breath ever off a regulator was at 60 feet.

Reread there eye doc. It says IN 60' of water. I didn't specify where I was in the water column. And believe me, my first of many many very tentative breaths was quite close to the surface. But it was a great and very memorable dive with awesome sealife. I will never forget all of the beautiful purple and yellow honeycomb morays that were out swimming and hunting. Only place I've ever seen morays so freely swimming with divers around. And they were huge!

I'll guess that since you aren't a diver, you have a significant other who is in the business and is losing customers to Jim.

How'd I do?[/QUOTE]

No too good. Don't have a significant other and according to Jim Lap he's certified 11 new divers in 2 years. Don't think he's taking much business from anyone.

Originally Posted by jen_b
I did my skills in 20', but due to the reef depths where I was certified (Boynton Beach, FL)- my DM made me do my certification dives at 60' and it scared the hell outta me. I was told there was no choice in the matter- I wish I had known about scubaboard before then. I started hyperventilating and came up from a dive early (after a safety stop of course) my DM made me do two additional dives at 60' to get my certification! She made me feel really bad about being scared- even though I know it's normal.

Just to let you know... there are plenty of places in Boynton to do your certification dives in less than 60 feet. Also depending on the agency you chose to be certified through, it is a violation of standards to conduct the first dives in water that deep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom