First Dive w/o a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm, I do not believe there is a Standard on how deep the water can be for OW certification dives. I believe it would not violate Standards to do OW certification dives in 200' deep water. As long as you did not dive deeper than Standards for those dives I believe you could do OW certification dives in 2000' deep water. :)

Scubakevdm, I do not believe there is a Standard on how deep the water can be for OW certification dives. I believe it would not violate Standards to do OW certification dives in 200' deep water. As long as you did not dive deeper than Standards for those dives I believe you could do OW certification dives in 2000' deep water. :)

True dat! Though it might be somewhat risky with a class that didn't have a lot of practice with Da Kine... buoyancy control. I agree that technically you are correct, but I sure would hate to have to explain in court why I was conducting openwater certification dives in 2000 feet of water if something were to happen!

Reread there eye doc. It says IN 60' of water.

Ok, that statement is somewhat "open to interpretation", and you'd have to have gotten down to 60 feet one way or another and it's doubtful you could do it on one breath of air from the surface unless you're a freediver, so you've got me there.

You couldn't do OW certification dives in 2000 feet of water because the NDL limits would be so short you wouldn't be able to test any of the skills.

I mean the compass navigation straight line swim would have to be like 1 fin kick at the most before you would have to start your ascent.

Actually, there is a standard, for depth, in Open Water Training. I cannot speak for other agencies.

But the actual "dives" versus the training is the clincher. In the SSI environment, we do the skill sets in 30 feet, or less, of water. The first two training dives are between 15 feet and 40 feet (done after majority of academics and pool skills passed), and the last dives in 15 to 60 feet of water, after all academic and pool skills done (and presented in open water).

But in terms of "needing" a DM? Well, they are handy if you're in a new enviroment, need to know where to go, etc. IMHO, I have seen a lot more stuff with a DM or guide along.

But at some point, you should feel really, really comfortable about entirely planning and executing a dive without someone checking on you. It never, ever hurts to ask for advice, however.

Be safe, and have fun!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom