first dive with doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for your advice and comments. in defense of my instructor these where not the conditions that we had planned. we had a much shallower dive but circumstances conspired against us and we where forced to do the dive that the rest of the boat wanted to do. i also want to make it clear that once we got to the bottom and realized the conditions we didn't even attempt to do any skills. my instructor simply wanted to give me some time with the doubles and then we called the dive. at no time did i ever feel that i was in trouble.

i will spend some time in the pool before i go back next week. i do believe that when i get the harness tight enough i will not have the horrible trim problems that i had. that is the first thing that i will fix and then i know that it is just practice.

to awnser the earlier question, i'm taking the adv. nitrox and decompression procedures from TDI.

thanks for your time.

Deal Me In:
We had a much shallower dive planned but circumstances conspired against us and we where forced to do the dive that the rest of the boat wanted to do.
I think its helpful to completely reject the idea of being "forced". Many pilots have died after having been "forced" to fly when they should not have. "Get-there-itis" (flying), or its SCUBA equivalent is a killer. Better to call it a day and come back when the seas are smiling on your dive plan.

Good luck with the rest of your training.

UWSojourner:
I think its helpful to completely reject the idea of being "forced". Many pilots have died after having been "forced" to fly when they should not have. "Get-there-itis" (flying), or its SCUBA equivalent is a killer. Better to call it a day and come back when the seas are smiling on your dive plan.

What I believe he meant was they were forced to do the dive site the rest of the boat wanted. He was not forced to do the dive.
Sometimes you never know how the conditions on the bottom relate to what's on top.
Been out where the surface is great, get to the bottom there is zero vis and surge (forcing call of dive immediately).
Been out where 6 ft sea, half boat decided not to dive. Got to the bottom, no surge, 60 ft + vis (which is great in our area), and had a great dive.

lou that is what i meant. our choice for a dive site i.e. shallower, was out voted. i never felt like i had to do the dive and the reason you gave was why. i seen the same thing in WPB. i was hoping that the conditions would be fine at depth. they weren't, we stayed for a few minutes then headed home.

thanks for your time

Deal Me In:
lou that is what i meant. our choice for a dive site i.e. shallower, was out voted. i never felt like i had to do the dive and the reason you gave was why. i seen the same thing in WPB. i was hoping that the conditions would be fine at depth. they weren't, we stayed for a few minutes then headed home.

thanks for your time

Good luck with the course deal me in. I consider it one of the best courses i have taken. (also took them combined) Once you get some time on those doubles you will be fine...J.D. :diver: :diver:

jaydee197:
Good luck with the course deal me in. I consider it one of the best courses i have taken. (also took them combined) Once you get some time on those doubles you will be fine...J.D. :diver: :diver:

I also took them combined. I think most instructors do it that way due to the overlapping material.
For me, it was more a review of things I had already been doing.

BTW: going to FL for Easter and am booked to dive out of Boynton Bch on Friday.

UWSojourner:

DITTO. You are NEVER forced into doing anything like that. You have got to get used to just thumbing the dive before anyone gets hurt. It is certainly nothing to be ashamed of doing. The person calling the dive is not a wuss, shlep or
*%*#. The're just smart. Those of you who have never called a dive........should start thinking about when it's time to do so.

Live to dive another day!

Deal Me In:
i will spend some time in the pool before i go back next week. i do believe that when i get the harness tight enough i will not have the horrible trim problems that i had. that is the first thing that i will fix and then i know that it is just practice.
to awnser the earlier question, i'm taking the adv. nitrox and decompression procedures from TDI.
Well again not versed in doubles diving (yet), but at least i know now what not to do!! (I would have gone pool or shallow dive site <20ft to start with and on from there, similar to what i have tried to do with all new gear).

One word of caution, you want your harness tight, but not too tight, even though it probably wont be tight enough to cut of circulation, it can decrease it. Also my instructor finds that his shoulder part of his harness tightens up on him underwater a bit. I have put triglides on the backside of the BP where the shoulder turns for the waist part to stop either from moving too far and tightening one way or the other.

One day i will get my doubles set up, cavern and cave training down, adv nitrox and deco certs all through - give it time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom