First Drysuit Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gil Middlebrooks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After several dives in a 5mm wetsuit at 48F, I bit the bullet and bought a low end drysuit. My dive buddy and I did two dives yesterday at the Lake Norman Quarry just above Charlotte. Surface temp = 60F; temp at 70 ffw = 48F.

On our first dive, we started off by doing buoyancy drills. I was able to work out of the feet-up problem with no difficulties. We tooled around and took in the sites. I was wearing a Hollis AUG 100 undergarment and was not cold at all, but I could tell when there were significant temperature changes (and not just through my hood and gloves).

Our second dive was to do a little work on my buddy's mapping assignment for his Divemaster class. No issues, except a couple of the attractions had slight issues with their attached guide ropes, and that caused us some time to deal with.

I have already signed up for the PADI drysuit class at my LDS, because I think I can take advantage of time with an instructor to work on buoyancy issues and to maybe sneak in a deeper dive (past 70 ffw). A lot of folks don't think it is a necessary class, but I just view it as a constructive way to learn more about diving.

A few thoughts for those who have not done this yet: Drysuit squeeze is an "interesting" feeling that takes some getting used to handling. I also used my BCD for minor buoyancy control on the bottom. On my next dives, I am going to not put any air into my BCD and use the drysuit for minor buoyancy adjustments. Final thought: Fins with spring heel thingys may be the best scuba invention ever for beginners. (New pair of Hollis F1s that I love!)

I'm sure more people will chime in on the issue of using your drysuit for buoyancy rather than your bcd. My feeling is that your BCD is for buoyancy and your drysuit is for warmth. Using your drysuit as a bcd creates extra task loading if you put too much air into it and could possibly lead to a rapid accent.

Sounds as though you are approaching the transition to a dry suit in an ideal fashion -- by doing some simple dives and mostly focusing on managing your buoyancy. Dry suits aren't rocket science, but they do require a bit more vigilance and anticipation, because they don't vent as fast or in all positions like a BC can.

As far as BC versus dry suit for buoyancy, I think it is generally easier for new dry suit divers to continue to use the BC, and only use the suit for warmth. But eventually, you want to get to where you can put the gas where it makes the most sense for the dive. In very cold water, I use the suit as much as it will tolerate, because it keeps me warmer. In caves, where I often have to assume "unusual attitudes", I begrudge even the smallest amount of gas in the suit, because I know that, before the dive is over, it will ALL be in my feet, and hard to get rid of.

A good dry suit diver can put the buoyancy compensation where it helps most, whether that's for balance, warmth, or safety. Keep experimenting -- sounds like you are doing things just right.

Once you go dry you'll never go back!

I generally dive either my dry suit or in a shorty. No more 5-7mil wet suit for me. If its too cold for a swim suit or shorty , I go dry.
In 68-70 degree water I'll wear my dry suit with just shorts and a T shirt on in under it.

I only use my BC for bouyancy on the surface and make small adjustments of air in my dry suit at depth. Some people prefer to have some air in both, but then you have two air sources to keep under control.

This is my second season diving dry. I've found that when I take out the suit squeeze I'm pretty much neutrally bouyant. As such I never need to use my BC underwater for bouyancy control. I do use my BC on the surface though.

I find that its in 10m and shallower that any buoyancy issues are most likely. I use the Drysuit inflator to take squeeze off the suit and BCD for compensating for depth. I dive with the auto dump on the drysuit wide open and once squeeze has been taken off the suit seldom have to add air to BCD, its taken me a little while to dial in my weight but I think I am there now. Caught myself out about 3 weeks ago when I changed my undersuit for a nice fluffy 4th element Arctic it was much denser and warmer than what I had been using. At the end of my dive really struggled to hold my safety stop and once above 3m slowly floated to the surface. I have now added another 3lb and its all good again.

My LDS throws in an SSI drysuit class/cert if you buy a suit from them so I never gave the class a second thought. Luckily, I'm smart enough to know I don't know anything so I took advantage of the class.

My issue with dry is that its more comfortable because I have fused vertebrae in my neck and my neck is slightly forward of most peoples... so the drysuit neck seal actually fits better than any full body wetsuit and is much more comfortable along with all the other advantages of a drysuit.

I'm sure more people will chime in on the issue of using your drysuit for buoyancy rather than your bcd. My feeling is that your BCD is for buoyancy and your drysuit is for warmth. Using your drysuit as a bcd creates extra task loading if you put too much air into it and could possibly lead to a rapid accent.

Not true. Raising an elbow up is all it takes to dump air. No task loading. As what TSandM said, I use my suit quite a bit for buoyancy simply because A) by the time enough squeeze is off, I'm a small puff of air from being neutral. B) In these waters, the extra air keeps me warmer (water further away).

There ARE situations I agree that the suit may not be the best choice for buoyancy, though. Still, I think using both creates the most potential for a task management issue for new DS divers.

I find that its in 10m and shallower that any buoyancy issues are most likely. I use the Drysuit inflator to take squeeze off the suit and BCD for compensating for depth. I dive with the auto dump on the drysuit wide open and once squeeze has been taken off the suit seldom have to add air to BCD, its taken me a little while to dial in my weight but I think I am there now. Caught myself out about 3 weeks ago when I changed my undersuit for a nice fluffy 4th element Arctic it was much denser and warmer than what I had been using. At the end of my dive really struggled to hold my safety stop and once above 3m slowly floated to the surface. I have now added another 3lb and its all good again.

Saudi-Diver I also found the venting too slow on the drysuit, especially with a thick under garment. Now I over weight, use the suit for bouyancy and warmth at depth, let it vent slowly on the ascent and squeeze. I then begin to transfer some of the bouyancy over to my wing and keep the suit squeezed. This allows the wing to be used to help with the first half of the ss and the suit can be filled if needed.

It seems the under garment slows the vent and the low pressure does not push it out fast enough. I do not purge the vent as that seems to let water in.

Actually, for a recreational diver, using your drysuit for buoyancy control is recommended. In that way you help manage suit squeeze, with your exhaust vent (properly adjusted) releasing air upon ascent. Using your BCD for buoyancy control will add to task loading since you will be managing that AND your drysuit (which you have to manage no matter what). Lastly, too much air in either BCD or drysuit could lead to a rapid ascent. Managing only one air bubble can help prevent that. A drysuit specialty class can hekp with all this, including being able to recover from a feet up situation. Dive safe (and warm)!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom