First ever underwater pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As if by magic... here is a wonderful instructional video on how to remove backscatter....

You've got to love the interweb!!!

Backscatter Removal - Photoshop Magic Tools for the Underwater Photographer

[youtubehq]XPSqn7TRL3c[/youtubehq]

He said what the technique he uses is - he created a layer, applied dust & scratches to blur it, made it a history layer, and then used the paintbrush to paint in the blurry blue to get rid of the speckles. He's also recently posted links to these techniques:

I use Photoshop.

There is an excellent video tutorial on youtube, that explains how to use the 'channel mixer' to restore color to your underwater photos...

YouTube - Photoshop: Underwater Color Correction

That works like magic with most photos..

I often combine this with backscatter removal (the particles that reflect from the flash). Here is a tutorial that shows an extremely efficient way of doing that....

YouTube - Photoshop: Backscatter Removal

Please be sure to show us your photos! :Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPSqn7TRL3c

Osric

[EDIT]: And managed to beat me to answering your question :-D

As if by magic... here is a wonderful instructional video on how to remove backscatter....

You've got to love the interweb!!!

Backscatter Removal - Photoshop Magic Tools for the Underwater Photographer

[youtubehq]XPSqn7TRL3c[/youtubehq]

Devon, what PS is that??.ie Elements,---CS---or which one???..TIA.....

EDIT: ie I have Element 5.0 & do not recognize that one(I use the Spot Healing Brush Tool in the Full Edit place)

I would assume that when people say 'photoshop' they mean CS. I personally am using CS3.

Osric

I would assume that when people say 'photoshop' they mean CS. I personally am using CS3.

Osric

Thanks---but there are many different (levels of) PS...Has I stated I've used PS Element 5.0(started with 3.0) for almost 4 years now.........

Last edited:

EDIT: ie I have Element 5.0 & do not recognize that one(I use the Spot Healing Brush Tool in the Full Edit place)

I'm with you diver 85. I am using Elements 8.0 and the menus and buttons all look different what what is on the tutorial. Is elements THAT different? I end up using the spot healing brush. I was hoping there was a bigger overall tool that would make it all better with a single button push.

Thanks---but there are many different (levels of) PS...Has I stated I've used PS Element 5.0(started with 3.0) for almost 4 years now.........

OK, let me be a little more clear. Photoshop CS is the evolution of the original photoshop, before they forked the brand to gain more market share with different products aimed at different markets, and I believe that 99% of the time when anyone says "photoshop" they mean "photoshop CS". So I was trying to directly answer your questions "which version of photoshop" to which the answer is almost always CS.

In this specific case, I am using CS3 and it matches the videos. There is no doubt that these videos are meant for CS users.

Osric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom