First Indo trip...need advice please :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideways

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hiya! We are looking at doing our first Indonesia trip either spring or summer 2012. I've done a bit of research, both here and other sites, and just seem to come up with more questions. SO! I'll try to be direct. We are looking at a 2 week holiday from the US. We're thinking a 7 day LOB and 5 days in a nice Beach/resort/Dive area.

I'll list my findings/thoughts, and hope I get some great feedback and or ideas. Feel free to let any ideas flow. Thanks in advance!!!!:D

***Where to go LOB?

In my research it seems that Raja Ampat is about the best for us as far as a liveaboard destination. Diversity and beautiful reefs are a big plus for us. I do both W/A and Macro DSLR photog, and my GF will be doing some vid, but it will be her first time in Asia diving, so I really want to have a diverse spot to show her the beauty. Here again...suggestions and ideas are welcome! We aren't locked into Raja Ampat... just seems the way to go from MY research.

***Where to go for Beach/Dive portion

I'm clueless here, except for maybe Manado? Easier to get too is better for sure (From Sorong or LOB spot) A Nice area with good beaches and boat day dive options.

***Air Travel

At first glance it looks like a serious ordeal to get from Los Angeles to Sorong. Has anyone done this route? Or a western US route??

To you seasoned Indo vets...how would you plan it if it was your first 2 week trip to Indo? I would say we're on a mid range budget. Knowing what you know now...where would you go and how would you do it?

Thanks again for taking the time to read and for any ideas!!!!!

Greg

Let's start with the end : Beach+dive options are not great in Indonesia.
Labuan Bajo islands display amazing beaches but the diving is far away on Komodo (2hrs boatride) which is better accessed with a liveaboard.
Bali isn't much of a beach island, unless you want to stay on Sanur and drive 3 hours everyday to Tulamben for great diving.
Gili islands are fine for chilling out but quite tame for diving (I already hear somebody coming in who'll pretend the contrary against all odds).
And I am yet to be impressed with N/Sulawesi beaches... oh well, Gangga island's is Ok.
Summer is not the season for some of the best beaches in Indonesia in Maluku.

You could also bet on Malaysian Borneo and stay on Lankayan island after spending 7 days on Sipadan or with Celebes divers, which is a liveaboard going around Sipadan/Mabul islands... not exactly Indonesia though, but so close that Indonesians pretend it is... :D

how would you plan it if it was your first 2 week trip to Indo?
if it is summer, you should skip Raja Ampat.
Probably one week on a Komodo LOB, one week in Bali/Amed area or nearby.

Thanks Luko! The Komono/Bali was my original thought, but was told Raja was much better diving as far as Reef/palagics/over all sea life. That's why I swayed over. As I said earlier...nothings etched in stone. As far as Saipadan, it was actually the focal point for our '12 vacation. I scrapped the idea when I heard that if you go for a week you could be lucky to actually get into the park 2-3 days. Thats way too far for us to travel for a roll of the dice...LOL. Besides the marine park I didn't hear really awesome things about the rest of borneo diving.

Komono might be the way to go if RA isn't best in the summer months. What about spring? Late April?

You could still do RA in the spring but not in the summer! If you do RA then consider adding on Maluku Divers Resort in Ambon! Fly into Jakarta and then hop to Ambon first. We have been there 2x and love it there.( added on Maluku divers resort to a LOB trip both times) A very safe bet for fantastic muck diving is adding on Lembeh. We just did that in March/April of this year. LOB in RA and then added on KBR at the end. KBR is a great resort to consider. The muck diving in Lembeh is amazing! The flight from Manado to Sorong is quite easy! Well... let me rephrase that.( domestic airfare in Indonesia is no picnic) It is a short and relatively easy flight. In any case be prepared for the brutal Sorong airport at the end of your trip! UGH!!!!!!!!!!! May I suggest the Paradise Dancer in RA! LOVE THAT boat! We went on a cheaper boat and ended up regretting not going back on the Dancer. No comparison! You get what you pay for!

If you need to go in summer then try the Komodo Dancer. We were on that boat in late June/early July! Fantastic trip from start to finish! Lots to do topside and you can add on Bali very easily. We have been to Lotus Bungalows Resort in Candiasa and had a great time there. Great dive op! Have fun on what ever you decide!

Thanks Jake! Let me research Ambon a bit. I would say Spring is more realistic for us, that's when we usually vacation. Just had read something that summer might be better, but maybe that was more for Komodo. I'll take a look at the Dancer too.

Check to make sure Wendy Brown is on the Paradise Dancer when you go! She is the cruise director and she is the BEST!!! ( sometimes she takes a little time off) We have been on that boat 2x and have had ZERO complaints! They really aim to please! One of the crew members had been on the Komodo Dancer and transferred to the PD and still remembered what I liked to drink! He greeted me at the top of the stairs with my" soda water with lime!" We had been on the Komodo Dancer 3 years before! Amazing! If you make it to Ambon ask to dive with Samwell( not sure of spelling) and Li Li! Check out their web site to see some of the cool stuff they have been seeing lately! You will also be smiling from ear to ear if you go to KBR! Excellent service there as well! They aim to please and you will see all kinds of cool creatures if you go there! Anywhere you decide you can not go wrong with Indonesia! We have been there 8x and are already looking at our next trip there! Enjoy!

What about spring? Late April?
I think it would be good for R4 and for sure for Ambon.

One thing is that I love diving Ambon for sure but be aware nowhere this is even remotely a beach resort! (ie. no beach, no resorty feel).
If you're looking for a beach and the conveniences, you' be really disappointed with Ambon.

If you're looking for great beaches (much better than Ambon) and good diving ( a step below Ambon though), I would suggest Saparua, it's still Ambon airport but needs to take 2hrs drive and 1hr ferry to get to. Check out Cape Paperu operation for instance.

Last edited:
Well after a bit of research, I think Raja Ampat is out. It's just too long of a trek for us, what a major ordeal just too get there. I'm really looking at Wakatobi at the moment. Thinking maybe a 3-4 day cooldown on Sanur beach on Bali, then 7 days at Wakatobi. Anyone been there?? Thoughts? The reefs just look spectacular, and the resort is gorgeous (from what I can tell).

Greg

We traveled to RA with Jake 11 and I was dreading the trip, but with Jakes careful planning we arrived in Sorong and back in LA with very little jet lag.

We flew LAX-Toyko (1 1/2 hour layover) Toyko-Singapore (transit hotel in airport 8 hours-$59), Singapore-Manado (Novotel-$41 w/breakfast), Manado-Sorong. Boat picked us up.

Boat ended in Lembeh and we stayed at KBR one night - beautiful hotel. Manado to Singapore-
Furama Riverfront - great hotel with huge buffet breakfast. I would stay 2 nights, just to see Singapore-wonderful, clean city. Singapore-Toyko (1 hour layover) Toyko-LAX.

We flew Singapore Air and were lucky enough to be on uncrowded flights and each had an aisle of our own to stretch out. Singapore Air is the best airline I've ever flown

I was going to second comments on Paradise Dancer, but they only do 11-12 night trips. You would save a lot of flight time by going straight to Hong Kong then Singapore, rather than through Japan or Korea. Transit hotel is life saver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom