First Indo trip...need advice please :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

actually, it doesn't take any longer to get to Sorong than it does to get to Wakatobi... North America to Singapore to Manado, overnight in Manado and then direct to Sorong. Manado to Sorong is daily. Or.... North America to Singapore to Bali, then overnight or longer in Bali and direct to Wakatobi... Bali to Wakatobi is once per trip... same same :wink:

I was speaking from the OP's perspective of wanting to spend some time in Bali as well. In that case, coming from Bali, Wakatobi is the easier flight. Plus there's the advantage that, besides the charter flight (with no weight limits or other baggage issues), Wakatobi staff practically carry you through the Bali airport.

When I bite the bullet and give RA a shot, I'll go via Singapore/Manado, especially if the CO/United merger means I can finally get tix on Singapore Airlines. Fortunately my new budget constraints prevent me from making such decisions for the near future. Our next "big trip" will likely be a flight to Bali next summer using air miles and a "dive safari" around the island. Tulamben and Seraya are on my to-do list too and they're [relatively] really easy to get to.

Life sure was easier before I heard of all these exotic spots and thought Cozumel was a big deal.

Life sure was easier before I heard of all these exotic spots and thought Cozumel was a big deal.

Isn't THAT the truth!!!!!:D We do a lot of Caribbean, mostly Playa Del Carmen and Coz. We'll be hitting the Blue Angel in December. We did Roatan in March and while the reefs were awesome, the lack of fish...any fish... was a bit shocking. Thanks for the great post and info Mossman!!! We might be back on the Wakatobi track .

LOB to Komodo is still an excellent choice! Our very first trip to Indonesia was to Bali then to Komodo on the Komodo Dancer. We were hooked! Amazing trip from start to finish! It got us going on the Indonesia train and it is hard to get off once you are hooked!We are in the planning stages of trip number 10 to Indonesia and we think we are going back to Komodo!!! :D

Isn't THAT the truth!!!!!:D We do a lot of Caribbean, mostly Playa Del Carmen and Coz. We'll be hitting the Blue Angel in December. We did Roatan in March and while the reefs were awesome, the lack of fish...any fish... was a bit shocking. Thanks for the great post and info Mossman!!! We might be back on the Wakatobi track .
Our June trip to Coz was our last time getting wet since Wakatobi last May/June (first time I went a year between dives since getting certified :shocked2:) and you're definitely not in the Pacific anymore. I can't get J back to Roatan since she insists there weren't any fish (I could swear we saw a lot at Herbie's Place, though nowhere else), and on our last trip to Grand Cayman a few years ago, it was just as barren. I love Bonaire because it is rather fishy and you have a larger range of species (not to mention the "dive freedom" and some good restaurants and condo facilities), but that red-eye on CO is a real PITA and messes up the first day, then you have to wake up at 4 a.m. on the last day in order to catch the morning flight out, and that's a good part of the week - can't do 9 or 10 days there because they only fly on the weekends, and with two weeks plus travel hassles, I'd rather fly across the Pacific.

For Komodo, check out the Arenui (Thearenui.com), by far one of the best live-aboards, and as a added bonus, they have three of the best dive-guides to found in Indonesia. (This is not an advert, it is my personal experience)

@bittenbysharks.....they have three of the best dive-guides to found in Indonesia

I think that's a little over stated to be fair.Arenui beautiful LOB if you can afford that kind of money

I just got back last week from a little over 2 weeks to Singapore/Bali/Komodo and I can highly recommend it. We flew from NYC->Singapore on Singapore Air, spent two days there to check things out. Then flew to Bali and spent 3 nights in Sanur relaxing on the beach. It was nice but I would probably stay in Kuta/Legian if I went again (younger and we are into surfing as well). Diving in Komodo was top notch. Definitely recommend a LOB. You won't be disappointed in the mix of muck and pelagic. It was our first trip to Asia after diving Caribbean/Eastern Pacific and we were amazed. We had never seen such large and colorful soft/hard coral. Diversity of sea life was also amazing. One day we went from a Manta Dive that had about 10-15 Mantas circling non-stop to the next dive having pygmy sea horses and blue ribbon eels. What more could a photographer ask for? We never did a dive that was dull in 6 days of diving. We then topped it off with 3 days in Ubud in Bali before heading back. Would go back in heartbeat, especially if I didn't have to fly for 22 hours to get there.

When I was planning my first dive trip to Indonesia, I found the amount of information, choices and opinions overwhelming. So ultimately I contacted Aquamarine Diving, in Bali. They put together a nice custom package for me that fit my budget, preferences, and skill level. They had people meet us at the airport, take us where we needed to go, and generally took care of every little detail to make sure we had a nice time.

Three years ago I used them again to put together a pretty significant Indonesia trip ... 27 days, covering Bali, Komodo, Bunaken and Lembeh Straits. Once again they took care of every little detail, making our trip as enjoyable and memorable as it could possibly be.

I'd highly recommend these folks ... they know Indonesia diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

North Sulawesie is quite diverse in terms of diving. For a first time diving Indonesia, and for 12 days, I would recommend a north Sulawesi cruise and few days in a resort like Kima Bajo or Minahasa lagoon.
Another idea and even more spectacular, but also more demanding, diving could be a cruise in Komodo after or before few days in Bali .

Back
Top Bottom