First kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I'm a relatively new diver looking to get my first set of equipment together and need some advice. I already have a wetsuit and computer, but need help with regulators and a BC.

Regulators: I was thinking of getting either an Aqualung Titan or a Scubapro something/something (I have no idea what models to get). I'm mainly looking for something that can be serviced wherever I happen to be, which is why I'm down to those two. Warranty and free parts are a great plus. I would not consider buying used because it just doesn't seem worth it to me for regs. I plan to get a matching octo. I don't need a cold water reg - if I'm ever diving in water under, say, 55-60F then something went horribly awry in my planning, so I don't want to pay extra for it.

BC: I have no idea what to get for a BC. I've only rented BCs in the past, and then only men's BCs because nobody rents out women's BCs. I've never put on a BC and thought to myself "this sucks" or "oh, this isn't working for me", but like I said I've never worn a women's BC so maybe once I try one the sky will open up and angels will sing and I'll never want a men's BC again. Is there really a difference? Because it seems like any of the less expensive BCs are men's BCs, whereas women's BCs start at a much higher price point. I will probably buy this new as well; I have no idea what size I am in a women's BC and I'd like to try it on before buying.

Computer/gauge: I currently have a Mares puck and it's just fine. Actually, my husband has a Mares puck, I just do a lot more diving than him so it's more or less mine, and it does everything I need it to right now. But instead of getting gauges, this may be a good time to get an air integrated computer, which is what I'd want if I upgraded. I think a computer is one piece of equipment that makes sense to buy used. But, what do I know about these things? Do computers require regular service outside of changing the battery? How often does the technology change, how often do algorithms get updated? How old is too old? Is there anything else I need to consider when buying a computer? And how much does it cost for just a gauge anyway?

Your thought are appreciated.

If you're just doing warm water stuff, the titan is a great reg. Was the first reg I ever purchased actually. BC wise, hard to say. I'm a massive fan of a backplate and wing. You can size it to fit you perfectly. If you can, try out as many different types as you can. If there is a shop local to you, see if they have demo kit that you can try in the pool. Try back inflate, standard jacket, bp/w, unisex, women's, etc. If you go to a local shop, and you try on gear, find something you like, buy it there. I've found most places will match online prices (or come close to it)

Titan LX is all the reg a recreational diver will ever need. Visit an Aqualung dealer they have some great package deals that include reg, BC, and console that includes a Zoop computer. As an instructor I don't recommend a BP/wing unless you intend to get into technical diving or dive regularly with divers who are using tech gear. Good luck.

The Aqualung Titan is a decent regulator for any recreational diving most will encounter & does have the warranty parts. Scubapro has many models & many are very good & easy breathers. However, Scubapro no longer has the Parts of life warranty, unless you buy an entire Scubapro kit (Regulator, Octo, BC & computer). I just took a census of all my regulators & discovered that I have 9 Scubapro 1st stages (MK25's), 2 Apeks Tek3 1st stages, 3 Hollis 210 1st stages & 1 Drysuit inflator 1st stage. I have 13 Scubapro 2nd stages ( S600's) & 1 Scubapro (R295). Yes. it is a lot. I use each for different applications (recreational, doubles, sidemount, rebreather, bailouts,......).

Titan LX is all the reg a recreational diver will ever need. Visit an Aqualung dealer they have some great package deals that include reg, BC, and console that includes a Zoop computer. As an instructor I don't recommend a BP/wing unless you intend to get into technical diving or dive regularly with divers who are using tech gear. Good luck.

just want to point out a bp/w is not technical gear. I am (for the foreseeable future) a strictly recreational diver. I use a bp/w and have been in one since about dive 30. No reason the OP can't try one as well as other types/styles/etc of BC.

I cant believe an instructor has not recommended a bp/wing combo over a standard bc.

utter bollox.

buy regs ,mask and wetsuit,drysuit new if you can.
I like apex regs but they all more or less do the same job.
Ask around about din or yoke fittings-din is the best but in some of the more third world places they only have yoke tanks so you might need a yoke reg.
if you get a wrist mounted computer that is nitrox compatible and you can change the battery yourself then that should last you a while.

if in doubt don't buy -rent.

2p

Agree with most others. The Titan is a great reg you will not go wrong with it, reliable, great breather and a huge worldwide service network.

As far as BC goes I can't help there as I don't use one anymore so am not up on the latest and greatest. Despite another posting saying, incorrectly, that a BP/W is for technical diving I'd urge you to at least take a look at them and do some of your own research before you make a BC purchase. There is a ton of info on them on this board. I switched from BC to BP/W about 8 years ago and would not go back.

I like how simply they are and how much easier it was for me to maintain horizontal trim. I like how you can customize them, add or subtract D rings etc place them exactly where you want them not where a manufacturer decides. I like that they have nothing to break, no plastic. I like how they fit with no body squeeze like many BCs. I also like how relative travel friendly they are i.e pack flat. I like how I was able to remove some lead off my weight belt, with a SS plate they are negative, BCs usually have a couple of pounds of inherent buoyancy. I like that you can fit them exactly to YOUR body type/size.

Price wise often they are cheaper. Take a look at Deep Sea Supply, Dive Gear Express, DiveRightInScuba, Cave Adventurers and ScubaToys this will give you an idea of prices etc. Halcyon make nice gear but over priced in my opinion. DSS make great gear with great customer service ditto DiveRite. Personally I like Oxycheq wings. HOG also make some nice gear at very reasonable prices with customer service to match. ScubaPros "Tek" line is also very nice but like Halcyon, IMO, way overpriced. Hollis also make some nice gear very similar in design to a lot of the Halcyon stuff but at a lower price point.

This is often a contentious topic I'm not suggesting you should buy a BP/W just that you look into them before deciding. Good luck with your search, shopping is half the fun. Feel free to ask away most folks on this board are very helpful, some are dealers or owners and some of them, your cue Jim, are always willing to offer great prices on gear.

---------- Post added February 7th, 2014 at 10:15 PM ----------

PS if the Puck works for you and you have no issue with it keep it and if your husband using the same computer you are both using identical algorithms so given same/similar profiles you will have same/similar NDLs.

Hi sup. I have the Aqualung Mikron and have been very happy with it. The whole unit is very light weight and travels well.

i personally do not like the "Women's BCDs" I started out with an Oceanic Islander and loved it. Very light weight and packs beautifully. Just recently switched to BPW. Without knowing more about you and your diving environment, I would say, if you plan to dive a lot, consider the BPW. If you will be diving infrequently/only on vacation, go with a standard BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom