First Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know how big your knife is, but I can tell you about mine. :samuria: I use rubber straps to mount my small, blunt end onto the inside of my arm. Putting it on the inside helps keep it from hanging up on a hose, kelp, etc. I also wear shears on the inside of my opposite calf - thinking that if I get too tangled up to reach one, I'll reach the other. I tried wearing the shears on the outside of my calf in kelp once; boy, did I handup! Many mount knifes to the BC, but be very careful that you don't damage the BC - especially of puncturing the bladder!!

Happy bubbles, :eek:parms: D-Don

Sarah,

I'm not familiar with the knife. Suggest you wear it where you can reach it with either hand and in a manner that prevents it from hanging on things, line, weed, etc. Forget what others say about rambo knives (tools) or midget knives. That is exactly what it is. A tool to be in place when you might need it most. And the first time you really need it will be an unforgettable experience. Have fun, dive safe. Cudabait.

He had the knife pointed up and attached to the corrugated BC hose. He was on the surface floating in the BC jacket. He gripped the bottom of the hose with his left hand and pulled the knife out of the sheath with his right. The blade came out and then sliced right across the fingers of his left hand. Not pretty. I would not recommend the BC hose as a place to mount a knife.

are on the BC or on the calf (for larger knives)

Remember, with the exception of spearfishing, a knife is NOT a weapon. It is a TOOL. While in spearfishing we need a sharp point since we often need to finish the job our spear started with it, for any other diving-related use a point is a liability rather than an asset.

The catch on the sheath should be foolproof yet easily released. If the knife comes out without you desiring it to, then you will lose it underwater. If it DOESN'T come out when you NEED it out, that's equally bad if not worse, 'cause when you need it you REALLY need it.

You also need a good choil (the front of the grip - keeps your hand from sliding forward and slicing yourself!), a line-cutter on the knife (mono line is a major entanglement risk) and ideally both a serrated and straight edge (opposite sides.) The serrated edge is for sawing - think thick ropes.

The other thing to be aware of is that you must be able to SEE the sheath so you can re-sheath the knife after use. You can pull it unseen, but you cannot easily REPLACE it unseen. Figure that into the location as well.

Finally, if you're not spearing consider "safety snips", aka "EMT Shears". They work FAR better for cutting most things such as line and especially steel leader, which are your most serious entanglement risks. Its also far less likely that you'll slice yourself with a pair of these.

Back
Top Bottom