first liveaboard - what to definitely take / not take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc:
Really want to do a live aboard,,,but everytime I have been out on a deep sea fishing boat I get sick.Dive boats are different,,,you are in the water pretty fast.... I would hate to go for a week and end up being sick for the whole week and not beeing able to get back to shore. Anyone take anything for sea sicknees that you took everyday??? And did it work for you????
Try one of the Nekton boats. I get seasick in a bathtub (not quite that bad!, but no fun at all when it happens) but not a whisper on the last trip. Highly recomended.

laserdoc:
Really want to do a live aboard,,,but everytime I have been out on a deep sea fishing boat I get sick.Dive boats are different,,,you are in the water pretty fast.... I would hate to go for a week and end up being sick for the whole week and not beeing able to get back to shore. Anyone take anything for sea sicknees that you took everyday??? And did it work for you????

Bonine works well and without the sleepiness that is caused by Dramamine. You can take it everyday on a liveaboard and most people do just that :wink:

Meclizine is the active ingredient in Bonine and can deffinately cause drowsiness.

Girlfriend is a nurse and is always bringing home this patches that she calls skull patches. They stick them on patients before the big sleepy time thing in the OR. She does not know how long they last. Who else has dived one of these Nexton boats and where do they do there trips??

We did a Nekton liveaboard to Belize this past Christmas. I have seasick problems and wore my patch all week. Not only did the boat barely move, but I didn't have any problems (because of my patch) when it DID move during a big storm. The Nekton Pilot does the Bahamas in the summer (NW Bahamas and Cay Sal Banks), and Belize in the winter (central and south). The Rorqual does the Cayman Islands all year around (new itinerary).

DiveMe:
We did a Nekton liveaboard to Belize this past Christmas. I have seasick problems and wore my patch all week. Not only did the boat barely move, but I didn't have any problems (because of my patch) when it DID move during a big storm. The Nekton Pilot does the Bahamas in the summer (NW Bahamas and Cay Sal Banks), and Belize in the winter (central and south). The Rorqual does the Cayman Islands all year around (new itinerary).
Did the patch make you sleepy??

Nope, it never does. It gives me a little bit of a dry mouth, but that's it. I tend to change it every 48 hours rather than 72 when I'm diving a lot, and I use part of a waterproof bandaid to make sure it stays on since I've seen too many folks hit the water with a patch but emerge later without it. Regular seasick oral meds make me anxious and I get panic attacks with them...not a side effect you want at depth, so I'm very glad for the patch.

Since medication effects everyone differently, you'd definitely want to put a patch on at home prior to any trip to see what it will do to you. Vacation is never the time to find out for the first time what side effects meds have.

laserdoc,

how do you make the ring bubbles?

I was always told to take a backpack sized rain suit.....also.....but ive never been on one...doing Blackbeards next year!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom