first liveaboard - what to definitely take / not take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapolly:
I've done a wide range of liveaboard dive trips. Every trip is different (Dry suits on some trips, nothing but bathing suits on others), but the generalities I've come up with:

A minimum of 3 swim suits. (I personally don't like to put back on wet swim suits)

A beanie or a hood- even diving in the warmest locales, if you are doing 5 dives in a day, this will go a long way to keep you from lossing as much heat.

A polar fleece sweatshirt (if you do get cold after a dive, the polar flece will dry quickly)

Spray in Detangler (I swear by this stuff. Makes combing your hair an easy task compared to trying to comb out a dried out salty mess)

Sun Screen- and don't forget SPF for your lips

Towels (check with the operator if they provide these. So far the only one I have been with that did was the Kona Agressor- if not, take at least 2) As tamas mentioned, you might want one for laying on your bunk.

Batteries (hell, i've been on boats where you could have made up the cost of your trip selling batteries)

comfy clothes (dress on liveaboards is VERY casual- only exception is if your boat does some kind of nice dinner (on most Agressors do dinner everynight where people typical wear "real clothes" and one night of the trip you go on shore and might actually need to wear underware- other boats I've been onhavent done this, so might want to check on the boat)

Something to do on your SI- again depends on the boat and trip- some boats have dvd players, books (some I've been on, have a take one leave one rack)-also if you don't know many of the others on the boat.... you might want to pack something to do alone in your room (I have been on boats with ANNOYING people, and have really enjoyed time alone in my room reading)

Camera (sounds like a no-brainer, but I've already forgotten to pack one.

C-cards and Log book- If you don't usually carry yours, make sure you do, some of the ops will require to see them.

Some sort of deck shoes (you want to make sure you have non-marking soles- most boat won't kick you off for gym shoes, but the crew will like you a lot better if they don't have to follow you with a scrub brush).

Extra set of contacts (if you wear them..... nothing worse than losing one the first day of a dive trip, with no chance of getting a replacement)

A warm set of clothes, stuff that can be layered is best.

Don't for get sunglasses and a hat or visor.

Have fun! Liveaboards are a blast. And don't sweat the packing too much. If you do forget something, chances are some one on the boat will have more than enough.

Looks good, although I don't think I personally need the detangler spray! :D

Bill

BigBill:
Looks good, although I don't think I personally need the detangler spray! :D

Bill

You might not need it for yourself, but you could use it to score points with the ladies :wink: - a couple of pony tail holders might come in handy too :D

One other thing I forgot to mention that I often do on liveaboards. Take a sarong (one of the big ones you can get for about 4 bucks in any straw market in the caribean.) i use it for "deck changes" on some boats. I don't like sitting around in a wet suit, so this way you can change suits or into dry clothes without having to retreat to your room, particularly on boats where the cabins are not easily accessible. This is a bit of a skill, and I don't recomend trying on a windy day :wink:

scubapolly:
You might not need it for yourself, but you could use it to score points with the ladies :wink: - a couple of pony tail holders might come in handy too :D

One other thing I forgot to mention that I often do on liveaboards. Take a sarong (one of the big ones you can get for about 4 bucks in any straw market in the caribean.) i use it for "deck changes" on some boats. I don't like sitting around in a wet suit, so this way you can change suits or into dry clothes without having to retreat to your room, particularly on boats where the cabins are not easily accessible. This is a bit of a skill, and I don't recomend trying on a windy day :wink:

I will think of that, although I don't think my upcoming trip will have single women on board.

BigBill:
Polly, you and Miss should've come along!! Then I would've had plenty of those pony tail holders!! :D

When and where is your trip?

BigBill:
http://70.84.188.178/showthread.php?p=1942868#post1942868

July 8 - 14, 2006 Lost Island Voyages - Bahamas :14: :blinking:
(Can you tell I am ready to blow this popsicle stand and go diving????)

That boat looks really nice. I just got back from Bimini about 2 weeks ago. Looks like these guys dive the same sites we did. Bull Run is a must!!!! Best dive of the trip. I've just about got my pics loaded into a site that will allow me to post them on here while the gallery is down.

I had an offer to work for Blackbeard for the summer, I'm hoping to be able to take them up on it next summer... what fun!

Blackbeard dive report posted! June 3-9 if anyone is interested in reading it!

Back
Top Bottom