First Responder/ Rescue Diver training comes through twice (non-diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deac in the Wake

Contributor
Reaction score
In all the years leading up to me getting my EFR and Rescue certification I only ever had to use first-aid/response skills twice and both were for car accidents which happened immediately near me.

In just the last 8 months, however, the skills I learned in First Response and Rescue have guided me through helping two people in need.

First, a co-worker collapsed in my office after having a coughing fit. She passed on and hit the floor. I immediately started working my way down the response checklist.

Then, this past Sat night, I was out with my family at a local restaurant when I heard a commotion at another table and heard someone yell to call 911. I jumped up and ran over to find a woman was choking and on the verge of going unconscious. I told her husband I could help and gave her the Heimlich which cleared her airway. Sat her down and watched her vitals, taking mental notes all along, until EMS arrived (in about 75 seconds).

I am constantly telling my dive buddies about the importance of rescue skills but as my 10-yr old is working her way through her OW book, prepping for her OW checkouts in September, I have really come to value the training I received and the trainers/friends I received it from. I've had to use those skills, granted not in a dive situation, twice more than I ever intended or wanted to. But if not for that training, my response time, actions, and follow-through would very likely have been compromised.

My "lesson learned" is that though you may learn a skill at the dive shop, you may need it at any time, anywhere.

Great job! I am certified in both and thank God have never had to use them.

Folks, I'm jinxed. This past weekend we were at an Irish dance competition for my daughters and yet again I had to use EFR skills. Another dancer nearly collapsed, had profuse sweating, dizziness, racing pulse, nausea, and hot/cold flashes. I took her pulse and after seeing her tremors and sweating (which was not from dancing) I asked the police sargeant who was providing on-site security to call EMS. They immediately took her to the ER. She's okay now but it was a tense situation.

I'm really not one for boasting but I do want to give credit to the instructors who taught me EFR/Rescue Dive. I've had three incidents now where I needed those skills and I would not otherwise have had them. Take your EFR classes and always remember to love and respect your instructors.

Deac,

Please let me know if you ever come to Canada - and I will get the heck out of town! :)

Seriously, good on you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom