First smb opinions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes but you probably didn't do it with one hand while holding an inflated SMB and spool in the other?
You'll have let go of the dsmb so only a spool, which you can hold and still use that hand.

Reattaching an LPI really isn't rocket science, sorry. You might need to practice if you've let that skill deteriorate

I teach 12 year olds to do it.

you wouldn’t be holding an inflated smb and the hose at the same time. The smb inflator is a lp male fitting without the notches to actually lock into place so you just slide the lp hose on and it give a quick shot and the smb glides away. Your not holding it and it’s not attached to the lp hose either. Idk if this makes sense to you or not.

Ok, I've got a good visual, thanks. After deployment, you'll still be holding the spool (or reel) and line while reattaching the LP hose to your BCD, and probably using both hands. Still sounds a bit tough, and I wouldn't feel all that comfortable with the line right up against my gear- seems like a potential tangle hazard.

Ok, I've got a good visual, thanks. After deployment, you'll still be holding the spool (or reel) and line while reattaching the LP hose to your BCD, and probably using both hands. Still sounds a bit tough, and I wouldn't feel all that comfortable with the line right up against my gear- seems like a potential tangle hazard.
Once you hit the smb with some air you’ll only be holding the spool. The line will be headed up with the smb. But again. You don’t HAVE to use the lp hose to fill it. That’s the point of having options. You can use the lp hose, reg, oral inflate or even the exhaust valve on your power inflator(what I used)

@Dan has a separate LP hose from the one attached to his BC, I believe.
He has a dedicated inflator nozzle on an extra LP line. That’s a little different then what was being discussed as far as removing the lp inflator hose to attach to the male lp nozzle on the smb.

Reattaching an LPI really isn't rocket science, sorry. You might need to practice if you've let that skill deteriorate

I teach 12 year olds to do it.

Oh, if only I was 12 years old again, I might have a fighting chance.

In fact I can disconnect and reattach the hose without too much difficulty although it's a bit more complicated due to the additional bulk of a Dive Alert attached to an Air Source regulator, and the way the corrugated hose is shaped it's sort of gotta be angled and slid into a groove, and when done at depth, under pressure, possibly with one hand while holding a spool in the other, well it's not very appealing to me. I once used my primary regulator to fill from the bottom- the SMB I used initially had a small bottom opening so I had to mess around with it and it kept flopping over so the air wouldn't go in and it would take too much time and effort. I switched to oral inflate and it's much easier for me.

I guess I'm not the only diver who isn't all that big on disconnecting and reconnecting the hose:

He has a dedicated inflator nozzle on an extra LP line. That’s a little different then what was being discussed as far as removing the lp inflator hose to attach to the male lp nozzle on the smb.

It's all sort of the same conversation and relevant to the Op who is looking for various SMB options one of which might be to carry an extra LP hose to inflate the SMB rather than fuss around with pulling off and reattaching the hose.

Oh, if only I was 12 years old again, I might have a fighting chance.

In fact I can disconnect and reattach the hose without too much difficulty although it's a bit more complicated due to the additional bulk of a Dive Alert attached to an Air Source regulator, and the way the corrugated hose is shaped it's sort of gotta be angled and slid into a groove, and when done at depth, under pressure, possibly with one hand while holding a spool in the other, well it's not very appealing to me. I once used my primary regulator to fill from the bottom- the SMB I used initially had a small bottom opening so I had to mess around with it and it kept flopping over so the air wouldn't go in and it would take too much time and effort. I switched to oral inflate and it's much easier for me.

I guess I'm not the only diver who isn't all that big on disconnecting and reconnecting the hose:

It's all sort of the same conversation and relevant to the Op who is looking for various SMB options one of which might be to carry an extra LP hose to inflate the SMB rather than fuss around with pulling off and reattaching the hose.
Oh you mean for me. Since I’m the OP lol. Hence why I’ve said I have no issues using the lp inflator hose if needed. As far as adding additional lines just for inflating an smb. While I appreciates dans rig and works great for his use, I personally have no reason to add another hose just for an inflator valve. So again for me. The OP. I’m fine using my current gear to inflate

I would agree with you. It's a confidence thing (right up there with mask flood and clears)

I would urge you to reconsider your rig if you think you may have difficulty because LPI run away's are not uncommon (hence LPI disconnect what put into the PADI OW course.

I have a dive alert horn on my rigs, so I do understand where you're coming from. I make sure I have a decent LPI hose with an easy to grip fitting. I change my hose yearly because lots of pool divign (teaching) wrecks the fitting and makes it stiff.

I would agree with you. It's a confidence thing (right up there with mask flood and clears)

In my case it's more a matter of not being all that familiar and reflexive with removing and reconnecting the hose, and a lot more about it being a pain in the a$$ to have to do it intentionally on many dives, and finding it much easier to simply oral inflate with a few quick puffs.

In my haste to be the first to a wreck, I've splashed on more than one occasion with the hose disconnected, and hooked it back on without any issues, you don't need to worry about me. :)

Back
Top Bottom