First solo dives!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
(I kind of feel like I did something wrong since I’m not trained nor had a pony tank, but it was SO much fun!)

I was snorkeling off the coast of Maui (Kaanapali Beach) and it looked like the perfect place and conditions to try solo diving, so I did! It was amazing!! 60 minutes, 26ft max depth for the first tank I even practiced using my SMB since I haven’t done that yet. I was gonna do the second tank somewhere else, but having dropped my mask and snorkel finning back to shore, I decided to make #2 a practice Search and Recovery dive. Success!

What a feeling of freedom! I just played around underwater and saw 3 turtles, eels, lots of fish, and some nice coral structures. It was just like I dreamed Scuba would be before I started.

Last edited:
I say BS to the WITH IN PERSONAL LIMITS thing. he could have lost the gear at 100 ft or broke a fin strap or a number of things. the fact that he lost gear says he still has things to work out. lucky it was only mask and snorkel. may be not. If nothing more get come course books and self teach. paying for the course is not a bad thing like many think. diving solo is more than just diving alone. Its great you had a fun time though. Work on getting all the stuff a good buddy would normally provide. Like the pony.

There's old divers and bold divers, but not many old bold divers.

As the guys above say, great that you had fun but I would also suggest getting some training.

A lot of lessons in Scuba have been paid for in blood and even on a "simple" dive, there are things that can go wrong. Having the training means you are more likely to know what to do and what items of redundant gear might be a good idea.

It is certainly something I am looking at possibly doing a course on. The ability to just get away myself without all the hassles of organising with someone else sounds great.

If Joe truly only has 24 dives at most, he’s going to have to do a lot more dives before doing a solo course. 100 minimum for SDI Solo. I believe PADI’s version requires the same.

I have suggested this be moved to solo forum.

I have suggested this be moved to solo forum.

I agree, if it's not bait, it should be open to friendly, but forceful criticism.

Back
Top Bottom