FIRST TECH Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RAID is one of the better agencies at QC. I've seen things like poor online behavior get corrected by Steve Lewis. They do take things seriously, from behavior online to standards violations.
That is great to hear and know. Just having someone that listens, cares and responds at this point would be extremely helpful. Thank you very much for your input!!!!!

I would have to believe that they have some kind of reporting concerns system like PADI does - you know the standards - if they were not taught, that is an issue. Those simple items are core items that you build from in my opinion and really should not be taken lightly - I've deployed a SMB 1000 times but if it's a standard, we are doing it again....

Instead of the first reaction of taking it to the internet, follow the channels with the certifying agency and follow up with their findings. The only way to correct something an instructor is missing or a student misunderstands is thru review, you might find that everything he did was ok or you might find that there were critical errors - either out come is a learning experience for both parties.
I believe Scubaboard forums exsist, in part, to have a place to air questions, concerns, and issues to a global audience of divers. In that way I will, and have, gotten numerous opinions about how to proceed.
I don't think there is a thing wrong with bringing my experience "to the internet" as a way of seeking out advice from the best source I know of. I have not put anyone on blast initially, but did respond to requests for the name of the "shop" in the hope that maybe someone else here has worked with them before.

I also don't think starting with the agency is the correct way to go. I would normally first speak to the instructor(not an option here), then his manager at his shop, then if I have not gotten a satisfactory response, to the Agency. I have been provided with a handful of high level contacts there(because I came here first) generously by a Scubaboarc member. That makes me happy I did come here first, very appreciative for the help, and ready for that 4th step if needed.

No matter what anyone thinks about the importance of the skills/learning/tests that were missed and the missing dive, they are course requirements and as such it is not a satisfactory situation.

I have sent Steve and PJ a link to this thread, DM sent to OP.

OP, I don't know if you ever get to Bali (or UAE) but I will redo the course for you for free if you ever get into my neck of the woods.
That is a very generous offer! We were just in Bali a few months ago. We dove Amed/Tulamben, Padang Bai, and Nusa Penida. I saw mola-mola, giant manta, and sharks- it was great at times and other dives average. Overall, we had a great trip. It's likely we will come back. Where in Bali is your shop?
Thanks again for the great offer and help. I really appreciate it!

That is a very generous offer! We were just in Bali a few months ago. We dove Amed/Tulamben, Padang Bai, and Nusa Penida. I saw mola-mola, giant manta, and sharks- it was great at times and other dives average. Overall, we had a great trip. It's likely we will come back. Where in Bali is your shop?
Thanks again for the great offer and help. I really appreciate it!
pranadive.com , we are in Amed

This is why I think all agencies should publish their standards and procedures. At lease the students have a way to know if they actually get what they paid for.
With the standard caveat that your choice of instructor matters most, I increasingly recommend NDL divers to seek out SSI. They publish their standards.

With the standard caveat that your choice of instructor matters most, I increasingly recommend NDL divers to seek out SSI. They publish their standards.

SDI/TDI does as well. There is a link to the standards for every course under the course description.

Thank you for your input. For me the standards of my course were well documented by RAID in my course manual. They just were not followed, to the letter, by my instructor in my opinion.

Thank you for your input. For me the standards of my course were well documented by RAID in my course manual. They just were not followed, to the letter, by my instructor in my opinion.
I wanted to update my post:

I found the Facebook page for the shop that did my course, emailed them, and have the first name for one of the owners she says. I have provided the info about the 2 dives done as one, confined water dive not done in confined water. 7 required skills/tests/elements that weren't done and a copy of the messages between myself and the instructor that I was trying to set up a Deco dive trip with him and he belittled me.
I will wait for her response and if it's not satisfactory for me, then file the incident report with RAID and email all the upper management that Jim provided here. Thanks again for all the help and wonderful offers here. I will keep everyone updated.

I found out there is no shop here in Negros where I did my training. The shop is located in Manila. The owner tells me they have groups of instructors here, in Batangas, and one other spot I don't remember at the moment.
That explains why I've never seen the shop here, there isn't one.

Just one thing, confined water will have a definition by certifying agency - it's not always a pool.

An example of a definition:

"Confined water is a general term that refers to either a swimming pool or confined open water.
Confined open water is an open water site that offers swimming pool-like conditions with respect to clarity, calmness and depth. It has both shallow water and water sufficiently deep to allow student divers to meet all skill performance requirements.
Evaluate confined open water conditions carefully before each dive because a site may qualify as “pool-like” on a given day under certain conditions, but not qualify under others.
When confined water logistics aren’t ideal and the depth is too shallow to conduct all skills, introduce skills requiring water too deep in which to stand, in sequence, in shallow water. Then, when you have access to confined water deep enough to meet skill performance requirements, repeat the deep-water skills, in sequence, before the associated open water dive."

Here in Cozumel we commonly do confined water dives in the ocean but follow those standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom