First Time Diver Sharm el sheik worries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkevens

New
Reaction score
I am doing a PADI course at Sharm with Ocean Dive College with a freind in February. Looking forward to the trip I have been searching the web to wet my appetite and have been concerned to find reports that local dive sites around sharm are over-crowded and full of dead/dammaged coral and that it is necessary to go further afield to get the better dives.
Can anyone reassure me / tell me of their experiences or the area or the Ocean college and whether I am likely to get to see enough to make me ( and more importantly my friend who I persuaded to go ) want to go diving again. Or failing that tell me what good sites are reachable on a day boat dive.

Thanks !

Hi Jkevens,

you have made a good choice with Ocean College. I was there last week (second visit this year!) and dived every day. Perfect weather (27C sunny and water was 24C) and relaxed, uncrowded diving- not bad for Xmas week.

Dive sites are all good, depends what you're used to! There's always plenty of stuff to see.

Let me know if you need more info.
Say Hi to 'Doozer' for me when you get there!

cheers
Phil

I think it is a mistake.
Why?
Because you'll never enjoy diving after that. Everywhere you'll go it will look very dull, colorless and lifeless compared to Sharm. That's the problem when you start your first steps in one of the more beautifull places in the world. You'll have a too high standard to compare to.
Better start in an ugly place and then go diving in Sharm!

There are many sites accessible by single-day boats and from the land to dive near Sharm: Ras Mohammed, Tiran Island, Ras Um sid, Ras Nasrani, The tower, Nabeq, etc. You can browse backwards in this forum pages.
Ras Mohammed is by far the best site accessible by daily boats. In particular: Yolanda and Shark reef.

Welcome to the boards JK

I'm guessing, are you intending to do an Open Water course and this will be your first diving experience other than try dives or snorkeling?

Overcrowding in Sharm, I'm afraid yes but you need to ask why, it's because the Red Sea is one of the top 4 or 5 destinations in the world. Will you see enough to keep you interested? absolutely stunning. The colour of the reefs themselves look like they are taken straight out of a Pixar film, I could just look at them all day. Fish life a plenty. You will spend your week in awe, so what if you have 3 or 4 other boats as company, this will in no way detract from your holiday.

Southern Red Sea to Elphinstone, Daedelus and Brothers is less crowded because you only get there by liveaboard and the reefs are, I'm told, fantastic. But Sharm is brilliant to, so go get qualified and save the liveaboard for another time.

I agree with Vicky, starting at the top sure does cost some serious cash, I started diving in Bali, followed that with Maldives then Red Sea and Turks & Caicos. Best reefs - Red Sea, greatest pelagic encounters - Maldives. 5 trips next year to more sunny top notch destinations including Red Sea liveaboard. Now the thought of Stoney Cove is a little unappealing and my bank manager is having kittens.

Neil

JK, I've just noticed you are a teacher, is there something about this profession that attacts divers, out of 12 on my last Red Sea boat 5 were teachers. You really are an adventurous lot.

JK,

You will have a ball in Sharm and most of the dive sites are superb. Many of the sites are quite busy but it is very unlikely to cause any difficulties or spoil your enjoyment at all. Some places, particularly Near Garden and Temple are a little smashed up but there is still a mass of life and things to see.

Some of the top dives are at Ras Mohammed, particularly Shark and Jolanda reefs. The wreck of the Dunraven is quite good and the Thistlegorm is one of the best dives I have ever done. Thistlegorm is a full day trip starting at some unearthly hour but is worth it. The only downside is you will probably have to be an Advanced diver qualification as the floor is 30m down.

Enjoy!!

DD

:) :) :) Thanks for all the responses and for the many sleepless nights I shall probably have as a result between now and February when I depart. Shall let you know if it was 'good for me' too. Also apologies for horrendous spellings in previous email - typed at 4 in the morning when I couldn't sleep !

Best Wishes,

Jason.

Hi Jason

I hope those are sleepless nights of excitement and anticipation and not concern anymore.

We would love to hear of your adventures on your return. Just a small suggestion, take a little note book with you and make a sort of weeks diary including above water, sure will help you write a great report and is something you can look back on for memories in the future.

Neil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom