First time diver with question about weird physical sensations after cert dives!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klecko73

Reaction score
Hi all -

First time diver and brand new to the board.
I apologize for posting this in this forum if it is not appropriate.

I have a question regarding some weird physical sensations I have experienced after my 2nd and 3rd OW cert dives.

For background, I have completed the classroom/theory/tests along with all the confined dives. I initially started out with the DSD dive so I had already completed OW cert dive #1.

Yesterday I completed OW cert dives #2 and #3 without incident and I finished at approximately 2:00pm. Both dives were no deeper than 40 ft - the first was approximately 38 minutes and the second was about 45 minutes with a one-hour interval break. Did slow ascent with divemaster along with prescribed saftey stop at 15ft.

All was well until about 10:00pm last night when I fell asleep - and awoke with that strange sensation you have when your limbs are asleep but your mind is awake. After finally waking up, my body started waking up but my forearms and hands still felt "tired" with a slight tingling feeling. This went on until midnight night at which point I started getting a bit nervous and admittedly freaked myself out. Checked the web and my OW manual for DCI/DCS symptoms, as it was the only thing I could think of giving my extremely limited experience level. I ended up getting myself a bit worked up and anxious and really couldn't get myself back to sleep (maybe slept about 2 hours all night).

I called a friend of mine who accompanied me on the dive (he is OW certified and very experienced) and explained to him the situation and my concerns. In the absence of any other DCI/DCS symptoms he was of the opinion that as a new diver I was adjusting to normal fatigue, etc associated with diving and although I should monitor not be overly concerned.

I was scheduled to complete the 4th OW cert dive today and I called the divemaster early in the morning to cancel. I explained to him what had occurred and my concerns about going out again today. He had no problem with my not going given the lack of sleep, general tiredness, and current conditions. His assessment was that based upon the dives-depth-time,etc (he was with me the entire time) that I shouldn't be overly concerned with DCI/DCS given my symptoms. His opinion was that as I new diver, my body was not used to adjusting to passing the nitrogen and that each diver's physiology is different/reacts differently. He said that it is not uncommon for divers to get that "sleepy" feeling in the hands/arms and feel a certain level of fatigue when first starting out. He advised me to avoid any caffeine/alcohol/carbonated beverages and drink a tremendous amount of water to help flush the system.

I had a couple of huge glasses of water right away and felt alot better within an hour. I am still tired an my arms feel a bit "sleepy" but given I really only had 2 hours of sleep after an active day that may not be weird.

Anyway, not asking for anyone's medical advice, but just looking to confirm that the above experience is not out of the norm and I have received prudent advice from the divemaster and my friend. I certainly feel much better now and if I am active or pre-occupied my hands feel fine - other than that I feel fine.

Thanks in advance from hopefully just an overcautious (and not paranoid!!!) new diver!!!

I hope you signed up with DAN - most 'trainees' are covered, ask your instructor.

Then if you are a member, - CALL THEM!!! They have the data base and can answer your questions a LOT more authoritatively than can a thousand forum readers. In fact, call DAN anyway. I don't think they'll refuse to answer questions.

Reach DAN by Phone:

* Diving Emergencies (Remember: Call local EMS first, then DAN!)
1-919-684-9111
International Emergency Hotlines
* Non-Emergency Medical Questions
1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5:00pm (ET)
* All Other Inquiries
1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948

Not to say it couldn't be DCS. The only way to have NO chance of it, is not to dive. Though unlikely, there is always a chance you may have some predisposition to DCS. You may want to call Diver's Alert Network (DAN) at 919-684-9111 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              919-684-9111      end_of_the_skype_highlighting. They may be able to give you a better idea of what may be going on. They will ask details of your dive to give them a start. Hopefully they can help you out.

JAX, you & I have the same idea. You beat me to it.

:humble:

:D

I don' think it is too much to be worried about with the dive profiles, and your instructor should be your best reference. What is your age? Physical condition? Etc. Diving can be deceptive, in my experience, in that you can exert yourself more than you realize you are doing since your body is being cooled by the environment.

Thanks for the feedback. Its been over 24 hours and I feel better - just some minor "fatigue" in the arms and hands. I am not a member DAN yet as I just started out - will they still accept my call?

On a side note, I take it from your responses that my reactions are not in the norm?
I just trying to get a gauge at this point as I am a bit nervous and even considering not going back for the final cert dive.

I don' think it is too much to be worried about with the dive profiles, and your instructor should be your best reference. What is your age? Physical condition? Etc. Diving can be deceptive, in my experience, in that you can exert yourself more than you realize you are doing since your body is being cooled by the environment.

I am 37 - about 5'10 - 210pds, could go to lose about 15 pounds! I am moderately active and try to run about 3 miles several times a week.

As I mentioned in the other post, I feel fine with that one exception - in many ways I am mentally "freaked" out more than anything else.

Hey, Klecko . . . is it possible that you were so tired you fell dead asleep in a position that might have 'put your arms to sleep'? (a head thrown back would do that)

I have done that before . . . couldn't use an arm well for two days. Just slept on it wrong.

Hey, Klecko . . . is it possible that you were so tired you fell dead asleep in a position that might have 'put your arms to sleep'? (a head thrown back would do that)

I have done that before . . . couldn't use an arm well for two days. Just slept on it wrong.

Jax -

Know exactly what you are talking about - been there done that! :D
However, I was laying on my back with my arms crossed on my chest so probably not too likely.

Obviously I can type, so the goofy feeling isn't preventing any physical abilities.
I know I was really tired after being out all day (2 hour round trip car ride + diving + boat rides in sun and heat, etc).
Its just that I am a cautious person by nature and the physical sensation has been strange to say the least.
The biggest thing has been the "mental" piece of mind issue for as I mentioned I freaked myself out and couldn't get back to sleep. So now after a long day yesterday and only 2hrs sleep I am bit tired.

"All was well until about 10:00pm last night when I fell asleep - and awoke with that strange sensation you have when your limbs are asleep but your mind is awake. After finally waking up, my body started waking up but my forearms and hands still felt "tired" with a slight tingling feeling."

What you describe here sounds a lot like sleep paralysis. Perhaps you were only partially awake and your muscles were still paralyzed from REM sleep. If, like Jax mentioned, you fell dead a sleep and slept in a position that "put your arms to sleep" and were only partially awake that may explain your symptoms.

Still a call to DAN or a physician familiar with diving may be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom