First time getting narced...Yipes!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a newbie diver (two dives since qualification) but I've noticed a weird effect which might be a bit of narcosis, need your opinions on this. Back in my crazy younger days I used to use some drugs (pot/mushrooms) once in a while, and I always found that for a few days afterwards I felt "different", like the world was a little off and I was seeing things a bit differently. This feeling would dissipate over about 5-7 days. On my last two dives, we went to 60' and 55'. I'm new enough at diving that I'm still just goggle-eyed at the wonder of it down there (feeling like flying, loving the weightlessness, the fish, etc) so I definitely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between euphoria brought on by such a wicked-cool experience as diving here in Hawaii, or narcosis. However, on more than one occasion now I've felt this lingering after effect for a few days after diving, like I had some "life-changing experience". I know it sounds totally cliche or something, and I'm a very cynical person so I can't really chalk this up to just an airy-fairy mental state, it feels like a physical effect to me. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is it possible that getting a bit narcy at 60' was similar enough to being on drugs that I'm getting the same longer lasting effects? It's not a bad thing, just interesting.

I usually feel very mellow after diving,a very tranquil feeling,does anyone else get that? It is one of the things I like about diving,I dont know if it is some brain chemistry thing or after effects from the gasses. But it is definitively there.

Inert gas theory would suggest along with my observations that Nitrox does decrease Nitrogen Narcoses because it decreases nitrogen! The Nitrogen in solution displaces oxygen in the brain witch creates the Narcoses! Less Nitrogen at any given depth means less inert gas displacing O2 add more O2 better for the brain! Been there done that, being a person who narcs easily I am sensitive to any changes and I am one to 33ft martini man where some are 50ft to one! I trust the theory as well as my senses.....

I usually feel very mellow after diving,a very tranquil feeling,does anyone else get that? It is one of the things I like about diving,I dont know if it is some brain chemistry thing or after effects from the gasses. But it is definitively there.
Slow down your ascent! Tiredness is a sign of subclinical DCS. Do a stop at half of your depth for a minute and a full 5 minute safety stop.

Yeah, I get it too. Especially after a nice relaxed slow dive where I've seen some cool things. In fact with my new regulators I even fell asleep on the upline. What a rude shock to be awakened by a breath of water!

Lacking other information I wouldn't be very quick to jump to any other conclusion than diving relaxes you and puts your brain into a, I think the right term is, beta wave state. Something similar to the state a person can go into when meditating or praying.

Narcs is a serious situation!! I hate when it happens to me!! Normally I dive 2 times a year at Protea Banks on the South Coast at Natal, South Africa. (I am then diving 7 dives during a week).The dives are advanced at 30 to 40 meters (98 to 131 feet). During my first dive per holiday I get narced. But during the follow-up dives I am fine. I presume I am then getting use to the Nitrogen.

Narcs is bad and not enjoyable to me at all!!

I'm referring to the lipid solubility of O2 relative to other inert gases. I understand that O2 is not "inert", and I am aware that Meyer-Overton addresses inert gases only. I am also aware that there are no conclusive scientific studies that support the relative narcotic potential of Oxygen as compared to other inert gases that are used in diving. That is why I was very careful to state that it is "theoretical" and that "in my opinion" it is most prudent to treat O2 as being at least as narcotic as N2.

This is based on my own personal observations, as well as the conclusions and observations of many divers whose opinions I hold in extremely high regard. I have never personally experienced a tox episode, but I have been narced plenty of times (both on air as well as on Nitrox), and my belief (based on my personal experience) is that Oxygen contributes to narcosis in a significant and measurable way. This belief has increased as a result of my transition to helium-based mixtures over the last few years (and in particular on logistically complex dives in the ~100 foot range that I had previously done on Nitrox).

Maybe your experience has been different, and you are certainly free to believe what you want about Oxygen narcosis. I'm just calling it like I see it.

As an ANDI IT, let me explain ANDI's position.. Overall ANDI believes Increasing the Oxygen and decreasing the Nitrogen reduces narcosis.. The BIG BUT!.. Some CNS sysmptoms are the same as nitrogen narcosis..

Personally I believe (and have ways to show it).. That increasing the oxygen reduces the narcosis by reducing the nitrogen.. I am not saying o2 is not narcotic at all but its significantly less..

This is a drill I do with my Technical Rebreather students when condtitons permit (due to the nature of this drill myself and any assistents are on a mix with a shallow END and have less narcotic gas to give the student should we need to clear up their heads quickly..) we do approximately a 45m dive, when at the bottom we allow the po2 to drop to around between .7ata to 1.0ata.. The person usually has a very strong narc.. now I have the student brings the po2 up quickly to a 1.4.. Virtually EVERY student has reported exactly the same.. The perceived narcosis level was reduced significantly and very rapidly.. The excercises that I have them do also are completed faster and in better control.. There have been a few students that I had to do this a bit deeper for them to see a big change (these are divers that are used to doing air dives in the 45-50m range)

My personal feeling due to obeservations is that the reason that some nitrox divers say they have increased narcosis is that many divers have poor breathing patterns and the higher po2 on some of these diver tends to allow them to strech out breathing cycles (especially co2 retainers), therefore retaining much more co2 which is HIGHLY narcotic (plus it is a prime catalyst for oxygen toxicity)..

Another thing to consider is that as depth increases so does the density of the breathing gas, and your ventillation efficiecy decreases, so its important that all your regulators are properly adjusted for ease of breathing.. Helium lowers a regs WOB, but there is acecdiodal evidence that it also raises the risk of oxygen toxicity..

ANDI's position is that if the po2 is at a level where it Might be a cns issue treat it as such.. CNS can hurt you quickly, where narcosis will probably just make you do something stupid..

There is evidence that high pn2 levels reduce the liklihod of oxygen toxicity.. All that one needs to do is look at alot of the old deep air records and dives that were done.. There were no reported serious cns issues at these very high po2s, but people on helium based gases have had issues with much lower po2s..

In my young stupid days (before He was easily availble) I had many dives with po2s in the 1.7 to 2.0 on the bottom (with a few significantly deeper than this) without ANY CNS issues whatsover..

Personally I believe (and have ways to show it).. That increasing the oxygen reduces the narcosis by reducing the nitrogen.. I am not saying o2 is not narcotic at all but its significantly less..

This is a drill I do with my Technical Rebreather students when condtitons permit (due to the nature of this drill myself and any assistents are on a mix with a shallow END and have less narcotic gas to give the student should we need to clear up their heads quickly..) we do approximately a 45m dive, when at the bottom we allow the po2 to drop to around between .7ata to 1.0ata.. The person usually has a very strong narc.. now I have the student brings the po2 up quickly to a 1.4.. Virtually EVERY student has reported exactly the same.. The perceived narcosis level was reduced significantly and very rapidly.. The excercises that I have them do also are completed faster and in better control.. There have been a few students that I had to do this a bit deeper for them to see a big change (these are divers that are used to doing air dives in the 45-50m range)

Thanks for this post. I agree 100% with you.

I know of one scuba boarder who was narced at about 20 or 30 feet, and was too amazed by the bubbles coming out of a photogs housing to actually tell him that his rig was flooding...

Z...

I have only noticed being NARC on one occasion. Diving with air at 130ft on a wreck. The water was really cold, suddenly I was just like "real cool", couldn't feel the cold, everything seemed like there was no rush. I realized I was narced and about 15ft up it was gone.

I would be interested on hearing your comments about how people feel after using EAN 32% or above. A lot of people get out of the water and say they feel "amazing", not tired and so on after a "nitrox dive" as if they had been on 100% oxygen at surface level.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom