First time in a while

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Between all the dives I've been doing on the Lakes lately, and it being winter and all, I haven't dove a single tank, or my wetsuit in probably like eight months. I got in the water for a quick after work dive with my 3mm and a LP steel 72. I could hardly even tell it was there. I forgot how easy swimming could be :)

Tom

Yeah, if there is one thing about the whole DIR thing that I regret, it's that people get into the mindset that it's not okay to dive anything but double tanks. Some dives really don't require anything else, and it makes diving so much easier!

Yeah, I don't get the whole dive doubles all the time thing. This year I have more dives in singles than doubles, and that's just fine by me (still managed eight T1 dives last month). If you can do a dive just as easily/safely in singles versus doubles, do so! Slowly, I hope, I'm starting to convince some of the LA guys...

I think a lot of it is the logistics...

You start out with 1 or 2 tanks... later on double them up and dive the heck out of them to get proficient.. Then when you want to dive most of your buddies are doubled up so you go with that...

Or you don't have any singles laying around or get too lazy to reconfig your regs...

I am a big fan of using singles when possible -- why carry more weight than you need to? It will just lead to back issues later on.

Yeah, I had a Trimix class in February, so I wound up diving the doubles a bunch for the practice. Then I had a lot of Lake Michigan dives weathered out, and I wound up in the quarry with my doubles since I'm not in the habit of bringing extra tanks regs, wing, etc just on the off chance I get weathered out. A few other times I went with my wife, and we still don't have a second singles wing, which put me in doubles again. It just didn't happen work out until yesterday where I could have been in the water with just one tank. The Back kick was super nice. I didn't like the whole getting wet thing though. It took me a while to get used to the water moving around inside my suit as a normal thing again :wink:

Also, I'm sure you can empathize Lynne, when you and your spouse both dive, you almost need like six different setups. 2x Doubles, 2x DIN Singles, and (If you're lazy like me) 2x Yoke Singles for when you are traveling. Add a couple argon regs, and my deco regs, and you very well might be talking about 12 regulators.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom