First time sinus squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duckbill

Contributor
Reaction score
I attempted my first dive of the season today. At 105 degrees it was a perfect day to get wet. And, get wet I did.....for about a minute.

I got down around 8 feet and felt a sharp pain developing just above and below the spot between the bridge of my nose and my left eye. At 10 feet it was obvious what was happening. I could go no deeper, so aborted the dive. I took some Sudafed and Ibuprofen and waited 30 minutes to try again. The second time I couldn't get any deeper than about 4 feet. Darn!

I've NEVER had a sinus squeeze before (trouble clearing an ear on occasion, yes, but sinus, no), but when you feel it it is obvious what it is. It really gets your attention! What really bothers me is that I have a trip coming up that involves flying and snorkeling. I don't have a cold or any other symptoms that would have warned me there was a problem. Has anyone else experienced a sinus squeeze from out of the blue like that? Did it clear up quickly, or was it a sign of a developing chronic ailment?

As I am sure you are aware, you did the correct thing by ascending and aborting the dive. Never, ever force an equalization. So 'good on you' for taking the right action. Being in the water almost daily, I have days when it is more difficult to equalize and I feel slight pressure in my sinuses. What I have found works well for me is to stop, ascend perhaps a few feet and blow out gently instead of swallowing. This works very well. I doubt you are developing a chronic condition but I am not qualified to give you an accurate reply. If you have doubts, consult a doctor with a hyperbaric medicine specialty. Good luck!

I've had one sinus squeeze, and it occurred in the middle of a dive in Indonesia. I had been able to descend just fine, and then later in the dive, I tried to descend a few feet to look at something, and somebody stuck an ice pick in my right eye. The pain was horrible. I went back up and didn't try to descend any more during that dive. By the next day, I was fine.

In any case, it wouldn't hurt to see a doctor. DAN can recommend somebody local to you. I felt a little squeeze when I first started diving and found that I had some sinus polyps.

Much better now, though.

sinus squeeze is very painful but I've found if I take it real slow and equalize gently constantly then I am able to overcome it. sometimes I have to ascend couple of feet try again and do this repeatedly. if it's too bad then abort the dive is good advice but I've always been able to work through it.

I have had a reverse blockage that didn't show up until my safety stop at the end of the dive. I had pain under my left eye and the top teeth on the left side were numb for days, waited until feeling came back, dove again same issue, did a week of antibiotics but had no symptoms dove 10 days later felt a lot better but still a little squeeze at safety stop. descended to 25 feet breathing out my nose the pressure went away continued to safety stop still breathing out my nose with no issues, did second dive with a deeper stop again breathing out my nose no issues. my best guess sinus inflammation. ever since I always blow a few breaths out my nose as I ascend and never had a problem again.

Interesting first hand accounts and suggestions. Thanks. If I continue to have problems, then I will go see doc, otherwise....I did have a weird stuffiness in my left ear last night, so I think something may be going on, and the sinus squeeze was just an early sign I would have missed had I not tried to coincidentally dive yesterday.

I guess I'll find out on the flight if I still have a problem, and I can also just surface snorkel (relatively boring, if anyone can relate) if I have to.

I appreciate the help. Thanks again.

My home bud cannot equalize if he forgets his pseudoephedrine before. Once you try and can't, I suspect you irritate your ear tubes enough that nothing is going to help that day. You mentioned "Sudafed," but if you're using Sudafed PE - I think that stuff is worthless. I always take the real pseudoephedrine before diving or flying, but then I generally take them daily anyway.

Flying should be good practice for you really. Are you scuba diving too or just snorkeling? Good luck.

Thanks. I rarely have any trouble with ear equalization, but I do carry Sudafed (the real stuff, have to sign for it) in my dive bag to have on hand. I only use it before special dives "just in case". Of course, if I know I'm fighting something I don't dive.

The trip is my first time (and probably only) to the Bahamas. Can you believe I'll be snorkeling instead of diving? As much as I'd LOVE to dive scuba while there, we're only going to be there a day and I'd rather snorkel with my boys. When I snorkel, though, I just can't seem to stay put at the surface!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom