First trip to Roatan!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoot2retrieve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I have just planned our first trip to Roatan, at CCV. Our dates are June 19th thru the 26th. Although she has been quite the oversea traveler, I have never left the U.S. I did work in Alaska for a year, so I have been out of the lower 48, but never on a vacation. We are so excited and I usually only get this excited for opening day of waterfowl season. My biggest questions however involve photography, tipping, and fishing on an off gassing day.

My wife and I both finished our OW dives in February and we will both finished advanced in April. I have done my drysuit certification. We have both only dove in fresh water and to say our diving adventures are in their infancy is an understatement. We both feel comfortable with our bouyancy, but to say we are experts with our own bouyancy would be foolhardy and ignorant. However, given that this will be our first trip to any tropical island and first full on dive trip we would definitely like pictures to bring back.

The whole picture thing concerns me on a couple of levels. Now anything above water is not an issue, it is stictly underwater photography. First, would it be foolish to purchase camera gear and bring it along for this dive trip, given our experience? Also must you have a PADI or affiliated "Photography" certification to take pictures or bring gear along? If taking our own pictures is not recommended, do other divers typically not mind sharing if you have your own memory card? I just know we both want to bring pictures back to show friends and relatives and since we both come from non-diving families it would even be that much more interesting to show.

Another big question I have is tipping. I have read many post on here on tipping your dive masters and crew. I just want to ask the question in a format that I can directly relate too. As mentioned earlier we are going with a group to CCV resort. I believe there are two boat dives a day and you can be dropped off on the way back in of both boat trips each day. Lets say my wife and I both dive all of those dives everyday, what can we expect for a grand total on tipping. I had planned on following some advice of $5 a tank. Would you then tip $20 a person ($40 total) after each trip? For a grand total of $240 in tipping boat crew after six days? I just want to be completely prepared for the trip.

Lastly, on the day for off gassing before flying out is there any charters or guides that you can book to go sport fishing? I am an avid angler and would kick myself for not taking the opportunity to do some sort of fishing whether deep sea or shallows. If there are any fishing opportunities where could I look up information on them and who might someone recommend?

Thank you so much for any help and insight into all these questions. Again, we are both very excited and just want to cross our T's and dot our I's.

Thanks
Rob

I think your experience level will allow you to achieve mastery of the comparatively simple art of "warm water pretty fish" buoyancy fairly quickly. After a drysuit, this should be a snap!

Should you, then, take a camera? I would say "wait" for many, many reasons. First, yes- divers will share images of you that they create. Will they share critter pix? Well, maybe, but that might not be so important as it would seem.

It will all come in time. First, after getting the buoyancy dead-on (there will be a peak performance buoyancy clinic if you wish to attend), consider signing up with Patty (The lead instructor) for one of her world class Creature ID Courses. She knows where the hide- and that's the real trick- knowing where these animals live. They are so small and well camouflaged, you first find the niche environments that they like, then you find the critter.

Between now and June, there is precious little time to digest all of the well meaning and expert camera purchasing advice you would have to choke-down in time to decide on a specific model of camera and configuration. Wait, talk to other shooters, think about what you are seeing and gearing. I do not create publication quality images, but I do okay with an older generation camera that I bought used on eBay. Take some time and figure out what might work well for your first camera, then find your first one on the used market.

More important than that, make an investment in the Humann/DeLoach Reef Creature/Fish/Coral ID series. Later you'll want the PADI Behaviors book- it will teach you how to "sneak up" on critters in the most effective way.

Tipping at CCV is pretty simple. As you check out on Thursday night, you get an envelope. You are suggested to throw into a pot at the end of the week what amounts to 10% of the ground package list price. Maybe $120 per person or so at the max. We do that, and give the DM and Boat Captain $50 each per me and "Herself". For each of us, that's $220 in total. Some people throw in more, some less, but we find it well worthwhile.

On the last day, Friday, you can actually do some shallow diving and come within the 24 hour guideline in most cases. Some folks snorkel with Dolphins or go on a Mangrove Tour and get monkeydrunk :monkeydance: or some folks just sit around CCV and get some sun (after being submerged all week).

If you want sport fishing, I would contact the resort through Roatan Charter in advance or certainly speak to the activities director on Monday morning. Write up a note and just hand it to her at the Orientation Meeting. As soon as she introduces herself, she departs for her duties, and after the meeting you'll be busy gearing up for your first dive. Sport Fishing is similar to the Mangrove Tour in that it also can involve drinking mass quantities.

The best thing you can do is to get active on the message board called CoCo Chat

I'll let others who are better at answering questions answer most of your questions, which are great questions! But, as far as experience, I would make sure your divemaster knows your concerns. I would not miss the free bouancy clinic Patty teaches, infact I would hunt her down as soon as you get there - you will not find a more qualified or caring person to help with your diving. Let her know where you are as far as experience. Maybe email her and see if you can hire her to take you on your first dive? CCV is a great step in diving, good conditions, easy profiles, great staff! I learned so much during the last 10 years of going there! Have fun!

Darn, Doc beat me to answering, I would ask him any questions you have too!

Darn, Doc beat me to answering, I would ask him any questions you have too!

I just type faster.

I think anyone that appreciates Patty's distinct abilities in her mastery of dive instruction should always chime in. She taught me more than anyone else under the water.

Here she is now...
IMG_4185.jpg

Thank you all so much for your advice and answers to my questions. That will help us out tremendously. Thanks, Again!!!!!
Rob

Is this your first trip of many, or do you plan on making this a regular event? If it is a regular event I would leave the camera behind this trip as it can be task overload. Make sure to bring a thumb drive and an SD card. Most people are more than willing to share if you're a sociable kinda guy.

If this is the only trip on the radar, or your only chance to get to Roatan I would buy a camera and start using it now. Go out to your local quarry/lake/river and take tonnes of shots. Read online forums and boards to get better shots. It doesn't have to be an expensive camera as there are lots for under $250. RoatanMan is definitely right when he says it can take ages to pick out a good camera. I am still working on buying a replacement for my cheapy camera and it has been 2 years!

Then on your first day or two of diving - DON'T bring the camera. Leave it behind. Focus on taking it all in and adjusting to warm salt water boat diving. For the first time out with the camera maybe do a shore dive or something mellow.

Of course I am making an assumption that you will be at the point where the camera isn't task overload for you. That is something only you can answer.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

I agree with everything posted already.

My first trip to CCV was last year and my wife and I compare all destinations to Roatan and CCV now. The diving is so easy and enjoyable and there is so much life to see.

For a new diver, you couldn't ask for a better environment to better your skills in. The dives are simple and stress-free, and you will be guided on each of the 2 boat dives by the divemaster. He will point out all kinds of neat critters to photograph.

On the return trip, the boat drops you off at either Newman's or CCV wall (or the Prince Albert wreck on request), and you just follow the walls or chain back in. Navigation around the front yard will be covered in your orientation dive upon arrival, so don't worry about getting lost (although having a compass is a good idea to get back from Newman's wall).

You are free to shore dive as much as you want (we did 6 dives in one day of our trip, and averaged about 5 dives every other day), and this is a great opportunity to just get comfortable being an independent diver. You can just relax and take your time. You don't have to go far at all to find many interesting things even just a few feet after submerging on the shore dives. As you get more comfortable, you can venture a bit further. Great night diving in the front yard too.

I agree that you might want to work on your dive skills before getting seriously into photography, but you're going to kick yourself for not bringing a camera with you. My wife and I use Sealife cameras that are by no means professional quality, but allow you to take really good pictures with a little practice. There are other brands out there too, so ask around for other opinions.

Have fun there, I'm sure you'll love it.

Thank You guys!! Jack, I hope this is one of many. But, since I've never been to a tropical island I don't know. Biggest thing for me will be the flying and traveling to get there. If I don't stress out to much over the whole ordeal, then hopefully we could make it an every other year trip. However, traveling too my wife is old hat and she may just say "Suck it up you big baby." But, that's part of why I love her. Thanks again everyone for all your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom