Fishing for Goliath Grouper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting turn of matters.

@greeniguana and @100days-a-year

Are the GG in the FWC’s allowable range prone to worms? Just curious if the appeal of the hunt will be the size and exclusivity rather than the actual meat.

Never saw many worms in the ones I shot or saw in fishhouses. If they were that unsaleable, how did so many get sold and why were so many taken by recreational anglers? Catch and release for other fish deemed inedible was common at the time. Sounds like a canard to me.

Amberjack on the east coast are generally full of worms and currently fetch $2 to $4 a pound. Large cubera occasionally have them and still typically get $4 to $6 a pound.

Interesting turn of matters.

@greeniguana and @100days-a-year

Are the GG in the FWC’s allowable range prone to worms? Just curious if the appeal of the hunt will be the size and exclusivity rather than the actual meat.

No. The goliath slot size is in the same range as black, gag. I eat black grouper sushi.

goliath.jpg

This is a PERFECT opportunity for all the "goliath huggers" to put their money where their mouth is.

If they want to protect the individual fish, just buy up all (or a bunch) of the lottery slots, some will be awarded tags and then simply don't kill the fish! PERFECT, plus I really wonder how many people will actually enter the lottery.

If I were to guess, buying the lottery will give you a decent chance of being able to actually purchase a tag (and save a sexually immature fish from being killed and eaten).

Who's in? It is only $10 to enter the lottery.

No body? I thought there was a large contingent of people on here who wanted to save the GG?

We could even get a group together to individually buy lottery tickets (only $10) and then all agree that if a person wins, then a bunch a people can kick in a little more to come up with the full cost of the tag?

Maybe activists should do a "save the trees" type thing where they swim down and chain themselves to the grouper so they can't be fished

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom